MV Parallax Mapping for Beginners (3 Part Video Series)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Tutorials' started by fallenlorelei, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Thortuga

Thortuga Villager Member

After some more messing around with the overlay layer I managed to solve my problem with the animated water. The only problem now is that I'm not able to make the water under the bridge animated, as that would require adding the whole bridge to the overlay layer, and that would make no sense. I'm just happy to have gotten it close enough to where I want it.

2. ImmaPandaRawr

ImmaPandaRawr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for this tutorial! Even though it was posted awhile ago, it is still relevant and helped me, a complete and utter image editor newbie! Not only that but I am brand new to MV! Easy to follow and now I feel like a semi-pro in making parallax maps! Also did it all with GIMP for those who think you need photoshop to do this :)

I did use another parallax tutorial (by TeamUnpro) to help understand the tools in GIMP though for those having trouble. He does a full tutorial using GIMP however he doesn't explain the plugins needed to use the map in your game. Also I utilized more of the tips from this thread so I still recommend watching Lorelei's!

3. Sc0wly

Sc0wly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the tutorial!

4. EvenheartGames

EvenheartGames Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am currently working my way through the tutorial videos in this series. Excellent work; thanks so much for sharing with the community! I thought that you might be interested to hear from a dedicated GIMP user that while some adjustments have to be made when using GIMP (mostly, it's just that brush options and the UI layout are different), your general process is perfectly serviceable when doing your post-work in GIMP rather than Photoshop.

5. Mesajia

Mesajia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Hello Fallen Lorelei,
    I have some issues with a map of mine. Maybe you can help me to fix it. I have some missing tiles in my map and only on that building. I tried to resave it several times, but it never worked. It's the biggest map (100x100) I did so far and this issue made stop working on maps so far. Hopefully the joy in mapping comes back, when someone knows a way to fix this :)

Thanks a lot,
    Mesajia

Broken Parallax.png
    See this missing tiles on the ingame map? They are not there in the bodom file or in the maker version of the map:
    Ground Parallax.png Original Maker.png

6. Schizomi

Schizomi Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm still having trouble. After changing my canvas size and fitting it in the correct position the map looks too blurry now.

7. Teddy97

Teddy97 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is the first time that i have heard of parallax mapping and i already find it awesome.
    Your tutorials helped me to get an good understanding of it.

Thanks!

8. illyana

illyana Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I come back to your tutorials every time I have trouble with a map. Thank you so much for these :)

9. numituwi

numituwi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This tutorial introduced me to parallax mapping and I've been using it in my game ever since! Thank you so much for making the videos :kaoluv:

10. Latefallen

Latefallen 90% of the time, my code works 100% of the time Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Great tutorials! Thanks for that. I'm looking into learning parallax mapping in RMVX but I guess it's the same regardless of engine (well the graphical side, not so much the code to assist parallaxes) and this really helped.

11. Anarcho-paladin

Anarcho-paladin Villager Member

First Language:
    French
    Hey there. I saw your tutorials a while ago, and as I stumbled upon you here on this forum, I just wanted to say their great. You really have talent explaining stuff to people; you should consider a career in education or communications!

Thanks!
    :)

12. MarisaG

MarisaG Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree, they are great!