MV School Music Thread!

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV School' started by Rhino, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Rhino

Rhino ~Inactive~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I want to start by saying a huge thank you to everyone who submitted their music to the first round!

We loved your entries so much that we decided to continue to keep music submissions open, and hopefully build up a soundtrack for the school. (Well let’s face it, you do get a bit tired of hearing the same rtp tracks used over and over again, and knowing that there’s so many awesome composers in our community, we can’t help but want to showcase more of your work!)

The rules are the same as the first round- meaning you retain whatever rights to your music as you want, as long as we can use it in the school!
    Take a look at what's going on for round 2 here!

We’ve set this up in it’s own thread so there’s also more room for you to get and give feedback on your tracks.

Now, I think it’d also be fair to say that neither @Touchfuzzy nor I are experts in this field. So if there’s anyone who’d like to be more involved with the music and help us organise which tracks should go where, please send one of us a message!

Update: Many thanks to everyone who got in touch. We're delighted to welcome @Ms Littlefish who'll be helping out from here on in!

We can’t wait to see what you create! :kaoluv:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  2. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not an expert, but I could do it if nobody does. I'd not be the best choice, since I'm a perfectionist, but...

Rhino likes this.
  3. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sent a PM. Depending on any additional free time, I'd be very happy to also work on a piece or two that may still be needed. :)

Rhino likes this.
  4. Zebestian

Zebestian Noisemaker Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Gotta say, I'm interested. Although I gotta look into how all of this works. I wouldn't mind helping or making a song or two though~! :kaojoy:

Edit: Welp, that was rather quick. Granted, I probably should've at least looked at the School before making this but inspiration struck and I couldn't wait! :kaoswt2:

Not everything in school is fun and games. Sometimes you feel down. Sometimes you feel bored. And sometimes it's hard. That's what I was trying to convey with this song.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Leanne, Ms Littlefish and Rhino like this.
  5. Rhino

Rhino ~Inactive~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    *Fanfare plays* I'm delighted to announce that @Ms Littlefish will be helping organise submissions as our new 'head of music'! :kaojoy:

Zebestian and Ms Littlefish like this.
  6. Ms Littlefish

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm really happy to be helping out! Alright, let's coffee up and listen to some music! I'll definitely be giving feedback as well and; hopefully, tossing some songs or SE's in the ring but I also want to encourage anyone to PM me directly if you want a set of ears on a WIP, or anything really! :)

Zebestian and Rhino like this.
  7. Zebestian

Zebestian Noisemaker Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll be taking you up on that real soon! I've already finished one song and now it's time to start the next one. And I already have an idea~! :kaojoy:

Ms Littlefish and Rhino like this.
  8. Ms Littlefish

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ma5amune When the music is this good, the only feedback I can give is going to be exceedingly nitpicky. For the composition, I wouldn’t change a thing really. I’m wondering; though if some light EQ curves and maybe the slightest bit less reverb could reduce what I perceive as just the beginnings of muddiness. That issue definitely comes from using so many rich and full orchestral sections, but using frequency and reverb adjustments like salt and pepper can further perfect what is already one heck of a great song.

This is so fun! The bass, auxiliary percussion, and pizzicatos are perfect choices in this song. I love that the flute and electric piano are adding some contrasting long notes over the snap of the other instrumentation but I do wonder if maybe the release is just a touch too long? The flute, in particular, doesn’t come in with the same level of expression as some of the other instruments. While it could be the patch itself, a little more attack and dynamic expression would probably help it match the energy of the rest. If not, another instrument may add the little more zeal. Again, it’s such a nitpicky thing but when the raw material is already so good!

@KayZaman This has a very cute lilt to it, almost reminiscent of Banjo-Kazooie songs! The B section that starts at 00:35 is well-timed and segues in-and-out with A perfectly. Now, to me what this sounds like is a great layering piece. The instrumentation and structure certainly work, but I think as the song grows, the addition of other instruments could add more variety since the core of the song is grounded in simplicity. For example, a clarinet could provide the harmony instead of a second flute. An upright bass (plucked) or tuba could start a marching bass line (especially since it’s a walking theme). These sort of elements could give more texture and movement.

@HexMozart88 I love the clarinet melody in this! It’s very beautiful and I love how it really travels around those intervals and leaps. That's what really makes one want to hum along. I’m also very partial to waltzes, so the movement in this song already makes me bob my head. One thing I think that it could use is a B section. A song for walking around should have a bit more variety so the listener isn’t hearing the same bits too, too often. The song is great already and I’m just wanting more!

@Zebestian This definitely has swagger! I instantly get a Persona feeling from this song. A very great blend of instruments and variety through the phrasing. From a composition standpoint, this is already very solid. For the mix, when the metallophones come in at 00:25 I’m hearing a little bit of muddiness and collision with the other instruments; likely because it shares a lot of the same frequency range with the piano. So. A few adjustments could help clarify that section a bit. It’s not a ton, just a tweak. Something as quick and panning it further away from the piano could do the trick. I think the acoustic guitar in Part B could be brought up a bit since the arrangement is already so open in that section. The delay is a cool effect there, so being able to hear it more will give that nice pop of texture an extra boost. Very, very nice!

Sorry, that took so long, guys! It was one of those weekends that really just got away from me. You're all making such a strong showing and it's gonna be a treat to put these songs throughout the project. What I'd like to know from you guys is if there any SEs and MEs that may be nice to have for the project? I'm still a little cramped on time for BGMs, so I'd love to start contributing some sounds this way while I tinker with some larger things in the background. Many thanks, and keep composing!

KayZaman, Zebestian and Rhino like this.