Selhan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hi,

For RPG maker VX ACE, I use a script from FenixFyrex called " In-Depth Maps" to manage map passability via regions.

I like it as it is VERY simple to use.

routeindepth.png

I've long been searching for a javascript doing the same for RPG maker MV, but without success.

Do you know if such a script exists?

Post from FenixFyrex: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/2162-in-depth-maps-v20/&page=1

Many thanks!

Selhan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Hello,

Thanks for your answer, but I tried it already.

The OrangeRegionsCollision script allows to define blocking and not blocking areas, but it does not allow to define "above & under".

This "above & unde" is what I'm looking for, I still search for it.

MadMaus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This "above & unde" is what I'm looking for, I still search for it.

Last time I've checked he was planning to add that functionality to his plugin.

Last edited by a moderator:

sil2100

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
After installing RM MV a few hours ago during the free trial on Steam I also stumbled upon this problem - didn't see any solutions on the internet as well. I sat down and wrote a quick plugin that does what you need. I actually based it on the OrangeRegionsCollision plugin mentioned above since I also needed to modify the tile-collision code for this purpose - anyway, it's also nice to have all the region-based control in one plugin.

Anyway, the plugin download URL:

http://sil2100.vexillium.org/content/RegionMapControl.js

The part that makes the always-on-top tiles based on region is ugly, the main reason being the fact that the current core engine code doesn't really offer any callbacks or handlers that we could overwrite to get everything done. The tile painting function needs some code injected in the middle, so a big ugly copy-paste had to be done. I'll keep looking for a better way, since I don't know all the parts yet after this quick free session, but at least this works. We just need to make sure to have this blob up-to-date in case of engine changes.

How to use for your needs?

Just define the AlwaysOnTopUnblockRegionId parameter to the region ID you would like to use as 'always on top and always allowing anything to walk through it'. This is great for implementing the '1' regions as per the screenshot you attached. The AlwaysOnTopRegionId parameter is an additional fine-grained region ID you can use to tell a tile to be 'always on top' but not touching its pass-ability. This is useful when you use AlwaysOnTopUnblockRegionId regions to implement secret places, since otherwise the tiles above the walkable always-on-tops will be below your character, which looks stupid.

Anyway, hope it's at least somewhat useful. Normally I would propose a merge to OrangeRegionsCollision, but I feel so bad by having that _paintTiles code-blob in there.

Cheers!

Maronius

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hi Sil2100,

i've used your script alot, but unfortunately due the todays update of the rpgmaker MV the script stopped working. Can you make an update please?

sil2100

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hi Sil2100,

i've used your script alot, but unfortunately due the todays update of the rpgmaker MV the script stopped working. Can you make an update please?

Hey!

Oh, ok, let me dive into that as soon as possible. Maybe with the update they actually made it possible to override it in a more sane way. Either way, I'll try to send out an updated version here once I have one. Good to hear someone found it useful!

Cheers,

sil2100

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hello!

I just updated the script to be work once again with the latest engine changes. It can be found in the same place as before:

http://sil2100.vexillium.org/content/RegionMapControl.js

So actually the new update made things even a bit more troublesome than before, since earlier there was just one _paintTiles method we had to override. Now, with the introduction of ShaderTilemap, there are two places where we need to glue-in our hack. But this time I made it a bit safer and made sure that we use our overridden versions of the function only when necessary. Those parts don't change too frequently but it's best to only risk running outdated code when we have to.

Tested it quickly locally. If something still doesn't work as expected please be sure to give me a sign. This version should also work properly with non-updated clients.

Best regards.

Maronius

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Thank you so much!

Seems to work like a charm!

Can't appreciate you enough for the creation of this script!

LappenLike

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
So I was really searching for a script like that in MV for a while now, thanks. Problem is... well, both Versions of the Script don't to anything for me.

I can import them and use the Settings, no problem, they just don't do anything.

Is it possible it's not working because I'm currently still using the 20 day MV trial Version? And if so can I just assume it will work once I upgraded in a few days? Because I'd have to slightly change my maps if I can not use this.

Thanks  a lot :D

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no, the trial has full functionality.

Did you perhaps rename the script file? Renaming a script will disable it in most cases.

Or you did configure it wrong in the plugin properties.

Another option might be that you didn't update the trial (or used an older one), there are several plugins that require an updated engine (1.2 or 1.3), and in other cases the plugin isn't compatible to the newest 1.3 yet.

LappenLike

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Alright, so I actually just copied it from my Browser and made a Typo while typing out the name, my bad but thanks for the help :)

It "works" now but not really like I'd expected it to work. I did what I thought would let the player walk behind the wall tiles marked with "3" but instead I can only move on top of it. Is there something I did wrong or simply didn't understand? There are no othere Plugins active while testing this.  

Kind regards

obenstattunten.PNG

obenstattunten2.PNG

sil2100

Warper
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hey LappenLike!

Strange, this should just work in such a case. I even tested it out once on a floor tile and it was all good, since the way it works is it simply forces all tiles in the selected coordinate to be drawn above events regardless of type. To me it looks like the whole re-draw part of the code is not executed at all. So a few questions:

Are you using the latest version of the plugin? What version of RPG Maker MV are you using? Could you upload somewhere both the plugin code you are using currently + the rpg_core.js file from the main game scripts?

Cheers,

LappenLike

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I'm using the latest version of your plugin, I just downloaded it per rightclick on your link. Everything else is working. I can block regions, and the "Always on Top Passable"  parameter even makes impassable tiles passable...

It's just that my character get's shown on top instead of below the tile.

I'm currently using the newest Version on Steam v1.3.1. I'll add the rpg_core.js

View attachment rpg_core.js

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've moved this thread to JS Plugin Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Day 2 of my redesign journey, as a follow up from the previous post :kaothx:
pXiRJSm.jpg

This is Cedric's son, Apollo!
New pet peeve: Telling tech support personnel what something is doing, only for them to tell me (in excessively condescending tones) what it should be doing. Yes, I know what it should be doing, and if it was doing that, I wouldn’t be talking to you and your attitude problem about it right now, would I? >.<
uglywolf wrote on Khulse's profile.
Hello.
The rules I makes pun about on your last thread is about "Verify Files" before anything else, if the stuff comes from STEAM. Which means, if it could be fixed with just that, there is no need to redownload the whole stuff.
But glad the reinstall worked, hope you enjoy it and your days too.
uh oh, I just tapped into a fresh, deep vein of nightmare fuel right here guys:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FRANEKWIEM