MV Sprite+

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Resources' started by Candacis, Dec 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German

MV Sprite+

I'm sure a lot of people like the default MV sprites, but I wanted to offer an alternative to that, called sprite+. Those are a bit taller and have somewhat more realistic proportions while still remaining in the same style as the MV graphics, and still looking cute. Which is what this thread is for.

I also recommend Avery's Tutorial: Make Sprites great again, which can help you with your own edits. As well as her tutorial Killing me softly - down poses for MV. It shows you how to do down poses.

Terms of Use: Free to use for commercial and non-commercial games made with RPG Maker MV. You have to own RPG Maker MV and you have to mention me (Candacis) in your credits. You can share your own edits that use my bases, but don't share the originals without my permission.

TEMPLATES:

[​IMG]

Skintone Palette:

[​IMG]

If you want to recolor yourself or just reference my different skintones, you can use this handy palette.

Recolors:

[​IMG]

Child:

[​IMG]

Teen:

[​IMG]

Recolors:

[​IMG]

This is a 4 pixel smaller template, usable for teens or just a bit of height variance between characters. I would advise you to dress the sprite in adult size, save the adult size and then shrink it down and save the teen size. This way, you have options for later. Here is a picture that shows you in red which lines I removed:

[​IMG]

Please note, that the lines are different depending on the frame. Depending on the clothes and hairstyles you might want to move those lines 1px up or down, but those are roughly the location they should be in. You have to adjust the arms a bit to smooth out transition errors. I also made the chest slightly more youthlike. Just refer to my template to check where you have to make adjustments. You can also only remove 2 pixel lines, if you just want a smaller adult.

Heavy:

[​IMG]

Please note, that the heavy template is still a work in progress. Try it out and leave your feedback in the comments. I'm happy with it right now, but maybe you have spotted something that could be done better?

BEHAVIOURS:

Downed/Sleeping:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Recolors:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sitting on a chair:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recolors:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Actors:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Actor1:

[​IMG]

SF People2:

[​IMG]

I know that the templates alone are not that particular useful without clothing, but I'm working on the first conversions of the default mv actors.

Feel free to leave feedback and suggestions here. This is not a workshop, sadly I don't have the time to make custom variants. But if you have general suggestions what poses and behaviours you think, could be useful, let me know. If you have made your own add-ons for this sprite size, I'm curious to see them. :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    TobiObito4ever, Slight0, Mur and 96 others like this.
  2. NarikoStudios

NarikoStudios Lover of Catgirls Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Do they work with the generator? would be really helpful to use a tall sprite for cutscenes and then default sprites for gameplay

so as though there like in Pokémon where you start off big and then play little

Jellicoe and SuperQuail like this.
  3. Candacis

First Language:
    German
    The taller sprites do not work in the generator. For it to work, almost every generator piece for the sprites would have to be reworked so it would fit the larger base and even then I'm not sure it would work in the generator since the taller sprites are well taller than the default 48x48 sizes the generator uses. I'm working on clothed taller sprites, but it will take a while.

Kike likes this.
  4. redbizon

redbizon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Looks really nice! Thanks!

The adult sprites are 48x72. It's the same size ratio as the XP characters, but 1.5 times bigger. Maybe some of that stuff could be ported over. MV hair might not be too hard, since the head is about the same shape. I'll try it out.

5. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Awesome! It'll be really cool to see taller battlers too, if you feel like doing them XD

6. Candacis

First Language:
    German
    Yes, the mv hair is easy to convert to the larger sprites since you only have to make it about 2px narrower (for the front view..). I don't know about the xp ratio, I thought those sprites were thinner.

Right now I want to concentrate on the normal sprites and not do battlers, sorry. I think, the normal battler sprites can still be used. I'm working on the Actor1 sprites from MV at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2015
  7. McSundae

McSundae Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Really great work :D But i already decided to work with hiddenone's tall sprite template :)

I wonder for which one the most ressources will be created and if my decission was good :D

Atm i got only my own created clothes for the template 

8. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Oh yeah I don't mean now. But if one day you get around to do them, it'll be interesting!

Anyway, good job!

9. Ace VII

Ace VII Genius but Strict Veteran

First Language:
    Japanese
    One word... AWESOME, this is like the best virtual christmas gift that I'll ever receive ^_^

Thank you for making and sharing these lovelies!

Ryner likes this.
  10. Artaios

Artaios Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    These look awesome. Thanks a lot. Are we allowed to adapt these sprites?

11. Candacis

First Language:
    German
    Yes, you can use those sprites as a base for your own edits, just as long as you mention me in the credits. If you want to share your own creations that use this base, feel free to leave a link here to your own resources.

Update:

I added the female base and different skin colors for every template. I also added the downed poses for the male. Female and child downed poses will follow.

And I added a preview on how the actor sprites are going to look like. Hopefully this gives you a better idea on the final look of a sprite in this size.

BrunaCremm and PandaMaru like this.
  12. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not sure how I've missed these, they are amazing and I can't wait to play with them.

I'm also curious to see how they would work with Ace tiles simply doubled in size. I might know what I'm playing with today, lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016
    Candacis likes this.
  13. Selhan

Selhan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Hi Candacis,

Congratulations for this huge work.

I think your version of actor 1 male could be improved. This one is a bit... strange.

It is maybe too thin. I think you have its arms a bit more open, like the female actor, to arrange that.

Here the sprite is a bit too much a strait vertical line.

Just my personal opinion, of course.

14. kingkoopa300

kingkoopa300 Sprite Farmer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Honestly I like them would use photoshop to edit on clothing DIY guys can't be that hard ;) will follow kinda wanna stick with current format right now 

15. StarWarrior00

StarWarrior00 ~ King of Cuteness ~ Veteran

First Language:
    English (US)
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I look forward to using this! I want to replace the generator parts with these. Will you be doing Sideview battlers as well?

16. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    These look so much better than the chibi's :D

17. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll have to try this! Gj.

18. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I forgot to come back and post -  I resized my Scyborg sprite and tested it out in an environment with the Ace Futuristic pack tiles doubled in size. I think it works pretty well and I would use it, if it didn't mean creating an entire cast of MCs as well as NPCs. I might slowly work on some NPCs and such, but for now I'm going to stick with MV default for my project.

[​IMG]

19. Vayleos

Vayleos Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    These look so much better than the smaller MV characters! It's takes a bit of work, but they turn out to be the perfect size. Especially if you get large doors. Here are two of my characters made with this base.

before_and_after.png

1byme1, Cvrtis, kaukusaki and 2 others like this.
  20. Jomarcenter

Jomarcenter jomarcenter games Veteran

First Language:
    ENGLISH
    As member+ is gone. Do you have plans to do something like a generator part set or something?