(MV) Steam deleting my players' saves when they get an update?

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hopefully there's someone else here who's had to do this.

I'm finalising my release candidate for my Steam launch, but I've discovered that, when I uploaded an updated build today, my two beta testers got the update, and when they loaded the game, found that their savegames had been deleted (not by the game; like we think they were wiped as part of the Steam update process).

This is surprising to me, because the savegames are individual files created by the user, and I didn't think a Steam update would touch them (I thought it would just ignore them, honestly).

I want to prevent this, because I've actually got functionality in the game which "knows" if the user's savegames are incompatible with the present build, and takes them through a menu where it deletes them and explains to the user why this is necessary.

What's also weird is that I know it's not wiping everything because I use Olivia's meta-controls plugin (that allow Switches to persist outside of savegames), and those settings are not being wiped. It's just the savegame files.

I don't support Steam Cloud (I shouldn't have to for this; just saying that because it potentially makes the answer simpler). I've asked over on the Steam developer support area too, but I figure someone here may have had the same problem.

Has anyone ever had to deal with this? Does RPG Maker MV do some kind of rudimentary check on save compatibility and wipe saves if they fail to pass a test?

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Moving to General Discussion, as this is not specifically related to commercial games

I don't know how Steam does its updates. If your game keeps its save files in a folder inside your project folder, they could be at risk of removal if Steam deletes the whole folder then replaces it. Or if your players download the new version from elsewhere, delete the entire folder for the current version, then install the new version.

If you think this is what is happening, it would be worth looking at a plugin that puts the save files in the user's %appdata% path like a lot of other applications (including games) do.

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
[mod]Moving to General Discussion, as this is not specifically related to commercial games[/mod]

I don't know how Steam does its updates. If your game keeps its save files in a folder inside your project folder, they could be at risk of removal if Steam deletes the whole folder then replaces it. Or if your players download the new version from elsewhere, delete the entire folder for the current version, then install the new version.

If you think this is what is happening, it would be worth looking at a plugin that puts the save files in the user's %appdata% path like a lot of other applications (including games) do.

Thanks Shaz, yeah, I think I'm going to explore doing this:

It seems to be the simplest catch-all solution to the problem.

EDIT: Hmmm; seems that plugin doesn't like it when the game is installed to a different physical drive to the user's home folder. I'm probably going to have to wrestle with Steam to fix this.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Turning a specific vibe into reality is incredibly difficult. For instance, this song is one of the ones I listen to when working on my post apocalyptic project, and getting it's "feeling" into the game has been a real challenge.

I don't just wanna regurgitate the numbers I see, I wanna actually understand the calculations I'm making so I'm probably gonna make a post later with some calculations and what I THINK they mean to get some advice and corrections.

Edit: All (Most) of these will be tested in game prior. I just wanna make sure I understand what's going on under the hood if you will.
my girlfriend calls all my little chibi art cute lol... funny considering that wasn't the original art style of the game.
100 problems in RMMZ 100 more problems take one down pass it around 101 Problems in RMMZ
Made some progress on my game, mostly mapping. Learned quite a bit in the process!.

M6eUoTT.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dracul_JOSHI