ZankokuNoYami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I tried doing a search, I found the HOW... and I booted up my game basically in MZ. And it worked. Exactly how it did in MV.

However, I continually read that the plugin commands will be different. That you cant use MV in MZ and vice versa. So why am I having zero issues? What kind of issues will I eventually run into? If I start using MZ plugins (to replace/upgrade some outdated Yanfly ones?) will that be where my troubles begin?

Just wondering what others experience is LONG TERM going about it this way.

Essentially, the reason I can't just port my base assets over is because there are specific plugins that are not on MZ that I absolutely need. Like Moghunters LMBS. However, I also need some heavy edits done to it eventually.

So what I am asking is experience anyone else has had. Is there a downside of just straight moving the MZ project file into my MV folder and pushing forward?

This shouldnt FEEL too good to be true. But given Rm2k3 I think was the last engine (not sure about ace...) that actually allowed you to do convert you game so easily... I don't want to commit to continuing my project like this if it will ultimately cause me more issues. I just wanted a few things from MZ, primarily some of the enhanced MV plugins created for it, haha.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The base code of MZ is set up to still support plugin commands in the MV format as long as they were already part of an event that's been imported from MV to MZ. The proviso is that the method of adding/editing plugin commands is now completely different, so if you do that and realise after the fact that changes are required, you'll have to make the changes in MV and reimport.

You'll also run into *major* issues with any plugin that uses custom windows or bitmaps; MZ's windows all require a rect to be passed to their initialize function now, which MV did not. And the way bitmaps and image preloading are handled has changed completely.

Drakkonis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Look into FOSSIL. It's a project meant to make MV plugins behave properly in MZ.

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's how I'm making my game. Using MV as base, but mostly working in the MZ editor.
I've ran tests on it, have been working on my game with it for around 9 months, and have even re-deployed an older MV project through MZ.
And there's only one main concern/issue I've found, that is related to game deployment & encryption.

I've brought it up before, so I'll copy-paste my response:

"Do keep in mind, if you are exporting your MV project, through the MZ editor. Then export it without selecting any of the deployment options. If you check 'exclude unused files' or try to encrypt. Your deployed game would crash. You can encrypt and exclude unused files by deploying with MV first. And then, move all your assets (audio and img folders) to the same project you deployed with MZ. For MV's encryption to work for the deployed MZ version of the game, you would need to also transfer MV's system.json file, to MZ's data folder. Hope this makes sense."

I just wanted a few things from MZ, primarily some of the enhanced MV plugins created for it, haha.
By running your MV game in the MZ editor, only expect to be able to use the editor features. Like layer mapping, and event list. (And improved performance.)
You can't use anything else from MZ, in MV, directly. Not the 3D animations, nor the MZ plugins. (In the future, you might. Through RETRO.js)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Turning a specific vibe into reality is incredibly difficult. For instance, this song is one of the ones I listen to when working on my post apocalyptic project, and getting it's "feeling" into the game has been a real challenge.

I don't just wanna regurgitate the numbers I see, I wanna actually understand the calculations I'm making so I'm probably gonna make a post later with some calculations and what I THINK they mean to get some advice and corrections.

Edit: All (Most) of these will be tested in game prior. I just wanna make sure I understand what's going on under the hood if you will.
my girlfriend calls all my little chibi art cute lol... funny considering that wasn't the original art style of the game.
100 problems in RMMZ 100 more problems take one down pass it around 101 Problems in RMMZ
Made some progress on my game, mostly mapping. Learned quite a bit in the process!.

M6eUoTT.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dracul_JOSHI