taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Is there any particular reason graphics in this set are all in indexed (restricted to 256) colour? It seems a very odd choice for something that, especially in tilesets, would otherwise have had a broader range. This limitation is actually visible in some of the tiles, unfortunately.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I wonder if it has something to do with being a console title. Indexing the colors would greatly reduce the file size.

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Sharm - thats kind of what I was thinking too, but still its kind of weird to take them stright from Trinity and then just leave them as is.... kind of hope theres an update at some point reformatting them :/ . Makeing edits to them is kind of tedious, as is.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not that weird. They weren't all that interested in porting it over anyway, and since the community would rather have it as is than not at all, they probably don't see much point in putting extra effort or polish into it.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it may be a move they made as a whole, as the MZ RTP files are also indexed.
1601332172319.png

It's been causing me issues in Gimp.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I noticed this too. That's why I went in and modified them all to make editing and trasnferring so much easier. Cuz I am the first one to forget when something is indexed. Lol.

-MIA

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So far everything from Kadokawa in MZ, even battlebacks, were indexed for me (even if sometime the range was higher than 256 colors).

For those using GIMP, start a new canvas, then open the indexed picture as a new image, then drag that single layer from the layer window on your new canvas, the dragged layer will lose indexing.

(As a side note: indexing is not just smaller on size, is also more efficient in direct image manipulation as you can simply refer to pixels by an abstract reference instead of a direct check. But the benefit is VERY thin nowadays - to the point other engines exporting to consoles doesn't care of indexing - I think it was a way designers used to have more than one person work on the same subject and keep a consistent palette).

Last edited:

WaywardMartian

Is sometimes a giant bee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mlogan , @M.I.A. - Is there a way to preserve the transparency of shadows when switching from Indexed? Because they keep opening as solid black in Photoshop no matter what I do. ( Though I see you're both GIMP users, but any sort of trick will be a step forward for me, even if it's 'download GIMP, it'll open it with the transparencies in place'. )

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@WaywardMartian : download GIMP and follow the steps I told.
Start a new picture, then open the indexed image. Now, from the layer window, drag the MZ layer into your first image - everything will be converted to raster and unlocked from the palette. So your alpha should be there "as it does look".

Do you need some screenshot?

EDIT: I'm stupid, the alpha channel is already there, sorry, Sharm got the actual reply.

Last edited:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, I'm aware that the size savings is getting less and less important as time goes on. I figured they went for the small benefit since this is an engine, not a game, so those tiny benefits can add up with multiple games made, but I'm totally guessing.

BTW, it's super easy to change from indexed to RGB in GIMP. Just click Image>Mode>RGB, and be sure to export instead of save so it doesn't try to save in the proprietary format.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm For some reason that was not working for me. I had to change a setting about the way they open, but I’m not on my computer, so I don’t remember what it was. I’ll have to check when I can get on.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, sorry. I don't have the pack yet, so I haven't checked how it works with this problem. Dororo's method is probably best, since it's known for sure to work.

WaywardMartian

Is sometimes a giant bee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dororo - No need for screenshots - I downloaded GIMP and it worked. I guess my 10-year-old version of Photoshop just doesn't like the Indexed colours. Thank you! ^_^

@Sharm - GIMP worked. Thanks for the tip on making sure it saves right since I'm completely new on the program. ^_^

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think it may be a move they made as a whole, as the MZ RTP files are also indexed.
View attachment 162190

It's been causing me issues in Gimp.
I hadn't even noticed, and THAT'S why they're causing me issues. Ooooh, what a pain in the tail. I don't like it.

Edit: In converting them to RGB (and saving elsewhere because I hate altering original stuff), it's interesting to not that of MZ's tiles, only World_B was RGB.

Last edited:

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Good thing GIMP worked for you! I have no clue how to use photoshop. Lol.

-MIA

Nekohime1989

Nekohime
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
they're indexed for one reason.
Web Games.
As RGB increases the file size dramatically.
(not sure why they keep pushing that. but they do)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Staring at all the RPG Maker versions I have and realizing that my project has been a long time coming. But, I finally feel like I have the knowledge and experience to make it into something good.
We're almost done with the jam game! :D
I get scam calls all the time so today I gave them a piece of my mind. They hung up on me. Sweet revenge.
There’s a beehive in my wall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rixxus