MV Tutorial Doesn't work on Linux(Steam)

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by Forleafe, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Forleafe

Forleafe Faerie Queen Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Running this via Steam on Ubuntu 18.04 (Fresh install of RPG Maker MV)

Clicking the tutorial button, selecting a tutorial, then clicking start freezes the program for a moment before doing nothing and throwing some errors in the console:

file:///media/bryan/aria/Games/Steam/steamapps/common/RPG Maker MV/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/MenuContentItem.qml:178: ReferenceError: Acccessible is not defined
    QString::arg: Argument missing: "Here is Tilesets, so click it.", Tilesets

Any help in resolving this would be deeply appreciated, as this is my first time using this program, and so far this isn't inspiring much confidence.

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You'll have to wait for someone familiar with Linux for that specific error, but in the meantime you can use the other tutorials.
    Those tutorials in the editor didn't even exist in the first several editor versions (1.0, 1.1, 1.2), and the use of the MV editor is absolutely identical to using the VX Ace editor, so you can simply check any of the (free) Ace tutorials around this forum or the internet.

As long as you stay away from the advanced scripting options (Ace uses RGSS3, MV uses Javascript and those are absolutely incompatible), every event command and everything about the editor is identical (only minor cosmetic differences like Ace having horizontal tabs on top of the database, MV having a vertical list to the left of the database).

You can start with the "starting point for new users" in my signature to get to most of the old tutorials.

3. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Let me install MV on my elementary OS laptop and see what I can find out about this issue.

4. Forleafe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do you have any recommendations, hun? I'm a little overwhelmed at where I even should begin and just want a quick and dirty, "how to RPGMAKER", which is why I wanted to get a grip by using what the software had provided.

Also, ;; I normally code from scratch and intend on scripting a lot. So that is something I will need to eventually circle back to.

Thanks~!!

5. djDarkX

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Are you running MV through Steam from the command-line or MV straight from the command-line that was installed through Steam?

6. Forleafe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm using the command line to launch steam, then launching MV through steam. The command line will catch errors passed to it from MV still.

7. djDarkX

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks. I will use that tidbit to see if I can't help you with your problem.

EDIT:
    It seems I couldn't get the console to display any errors, but nothing was certainly going on. I checked my Windows version to see what would happen. The biggest difference is that I was using the standalone version instead of the Steam version on Windows. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I was able to see what the tutorial does. Perhaps the Qt programming they used for the tutorial doesn't work on Linux (any distro) or even OSX, but for OSX, I'd have to have someone that owns the Mac OSX version to test it out and find out if the tutorial works for them or not.

I'm sorry you're not able to view the tutorial inside of MV itself. It looks like it takes you step by step in certain things, but there are plenty of tutorials around these forums that will do the same, sometimes better and more in-depth. As Andar said, best to check out the other tutorials around the forums. I know that not being able to see the in-program tutorials is a bit of a let down, especially for those not on Windows-based machines (or Mac if it works on there), but fret not as there are options out there to help you regardless. Don't let this be a deterrent to using MV. It really is a very useful tool.

That being said, hopefully the developers can fix that sort of issue later on. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    that is what the starting point tutorial is about that I wrote years ago (and that has been linked not only in my signature, but a lot of other signatures of forum members here.

It explains some basics of game development and describes and links other tutorials with comments on what they are used for.
    What I meant with scripting be incompatible is that the commands are different, not that the principles of programming are different.
    For example both MV and Ace have an event command "conditional branch". That command can check a lot of direct event data options, and those are identical. But it also has an option "script" for both engines where you could enter script commands and functions to check data of the engine directly from its global variables. In those cases the language and formats of the required script commands are different, so a copy of an Ace script will not work on MV. But the principles are the same and you just need to replace the RGSS3-script from Ace with the equivalent javascript-command of MV for it to work.

The only problem with that is that most people don't know how to read even one programming language so they are absolutely helpless to rewrite those commands, but any programmer should be able to do that with a few references showing the difference between RGSS3 (a Ruby-based language) and Javascript.