MV Update 1.3... any updates?

Tyrael79

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Has there been any news on when the RPG Maker MV 1.3 Update is being released with the Pixi upgrade to fix the huge performance issues on mobile devices.

I've completely stopped development on my game and starting to look for alternative game engines / development tools.

If its just a month or two a way, I'll wait it out, but if its not I'm going to change and ask for a refund, as the product is not doing what it is supposed to do and there is no guarantee or timeline on when its going to be resolved.

Personally I feel being kept in the dark for over 6 months of when the fix is going to be implemented is more than fair for something that completely cripples the primary purpose of the application.

Dr. Delibird

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Short answer: No news as of right now.

Long answer: The truth is these updates are being worked on and released without cost, for free, and so realistically it would be just a little bit silly to expect to be updated at every turn (or at all tbh) as to win the update will land. We know that there is something in the works and that is most likely all we will know until it is released. Until then the phrase "beggers can't be choosers" comes to mind.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No news, and there won't be any unless the people of Degica are being allowed to do so. They have to obey their NDA-contract and are not allowed to even talk about the updates publically.

And from what was said in the past, the 1.3 is to incorporate updates done for parts of the engine that are not under Kodakawa/Degica direct control, so they have to wait until they get those updates before they can even start to work on implementing them into RMMV - I don't know if they got them already or are still waiting.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
they have news on the japanese side they are still on testing side and PIXI V4 is yet still a beta and is not totally on a stable version.

the degica member just can't reveal anything much.

the 1.3 release should be in my estimation from what I see in the japanese twitter dev logs aprox november.

As we want it fast we have to understand that update to a totally new PIXI version require time and work around because the Pixi V4 totally changed his framework and MOST of the MV core code shall be rewritten in order to work with the new PIXI framework and I can say that rewritting a framework is TIME CONSUMING because I experience myself the fact I rewrite the MV framework to typescript for my game (the superset of javascript in simple it's javascript but with intelisenses) and it's sometime take so much time for just rewrite this huge library and make sure everything's works fine.

so shall be patient is the best answer. 

Of what I spotted of the japanese twitter we will get A LOTS of new features for the engine.

CyndaBytes

Creator and Destroyer of Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
So... one year for an usable version? :(

Last edited by a moderator:

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
So... one year for an usable version? :(
you guys get it wrong.

this not either kadokawa either degica faults if the release of 1.3 is slowed down.

it's because PIXI V4 is not out yet

and Rpg maker is still usable and you can still dev your games ONCE the 1.3 will be release you will be able to play your game like usual will just need to update your libs, JS and plugins for your games.

Izeck

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Um, what is wrong with MV?

Sorry if this is a dumb question (I'm a newbie), but I really don't understand why it is being called "Unusable" and such.

CyndaBytes

Creator and Destroyer of Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Mainly performance problems: low bad frame rate, lags, slowdowns.
Especially on mobile performance are very bad, with crashes and ridiculous frame rate.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CyndaBytes

That has nothing to do with the maker - mobiles have a lot less resources and processing power than regular computers, so you need to keep that in mind and reduce the game if it is meant to deploy to mobile.

No update to the RM can ever change the fact that computers have multicore-GHz CPUs, hundreds of GB on disc space and usually a dozen GB RAM and mobile devices don't have that power.

Tyrael79

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
@CyndaBytes

That has nothing to do with the maker - mobiles have a lot less resources and processing power than regular computers, so you need to keep that in mind and reduce the game if it is meant to deploy to mobile.

No update to the RM can ever change the fact that computers have multicore-GHz CPUs, hundreds of GB on disc space and usually a dozen GB RAM and mobile devices don't have that power.

95% of the issues on mobile device has absolutely nothing to do with the mobile device not being powerful enough, and everything to do with how poorly the app utilizes the resources.

Updates can be done to handle the poor memory handling, and to allow the app to release sounds from memory once they have been used as with graphics and effects instead of loading more and more duplicate copies of the same file into memory every time it is called, without removing the previous copy from memory first. until it slows the app down to a complete crawl and eventually crashes it.

Just because a computer has enough resources to hide the problems going on in the background doesn't mean that its not RPG makers poor coding that causes the issue.

The truth is these updates are being worked on and released without cost, for free, and so realistically it would be just a little bit silly to expect to be updated at every turn (or at all tbh) as to win the update will land. We know that there is something in the works and that is most likely all we will know until it is released. Until then the phrase "beggers can't be choosers" comes to mind.

The real truth is, is that they have already been paid to do the updates. They were paid with the purchase of the product for a product that did what it was advertised to do. It isn't doing a primary function.

EXAMPLE
If you bought a brand new car, and it wouldn't turn left... and you took it back to the shop and asked them to repair it, and 6 months later it still wasn't fixed, and they wouldn't give you an estimate on when it would be repaired, what would you do?

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees

it's because PIXI V4 is not out yet

and Rpg maker is still usable and you can still dev your games ONCE the 1.3 will be release you will be able to play your game like usual will just need to update your libs, JS and plugins for your games.

There is no guarantee that will be the case, there could be large portions of what you create that will have to be re-written as the functionality has been removed or changed.

Dr. Delibird

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tyrael79, I get your example but I think you entirely missed the point I was trying to make. As far as I have seen it has been said nowhere (in terms of the products adviertising) that it will be updated and stuff. Customer support? Sure. Systematic uppdates? I have seen nothing of the sort stating that it has been promised. Look at VX Ace (which isn't that old tbh), it didn't get any updates iirc. Hence the point that I was attempting to make is that whilst yes when you purchase the program the devs get money from it (obviously) they are not obligated in any way to provide updates (I would say maybe with the exception of the program being unuseable to the point where you just payed X currency for something that does nothing that was advertised, in this case being a tool to make games). Now if in said advertise/product page it stated "with continual updates post release". 

Also anybody who says the program as is is unusable is silly. The program works, its tools for game creation and exporting works. Optimised? No (though rarely ever is a programmed optimised in its earlier days on the market). Ok yes not everyones phones can play the game you have made (at the moment) but that is no reason to call the program unusable. Just be grateful we have gotten the updates we have had already (remember when the map editor would just not co-operate with you??) and grateful that we are being told another update is in the works (which will be released no early than when it is ready). 

Isaac The Red

RedMage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
I'm patient enough to wait it out, and give them the time they need to release a well done, and feature full update. There only thing I am bothered by is the fact that they can't talk about it. I am happy we have gotten the past two updates, and they have improved the MV experience greatly. However, in the interest of Kadokawa/Degica Updates should be a priority. Especially in today's software market. If you stagnate you get left behind, with the issues MV has right now, while Current PCs are powerful enough to ignore the problem. The problem still exists and cut's into the software's advertised features. Admittedly, there are things we can do to mitigate some issues for mobile platforms. Reducing file sizes ect, Blegth anyway I'm rambling... TL;DR Kadokawa should be looking out for their bottom line, and to do that, improving their software for current users to keep us as customers as well as bringing in new customers through an active development team and community of satisfied enthusiastic users.

Tyrael79

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
You can now create your own RPG Maker games on Macintosh. It will be released at the same time as the Windows version. RPG Maker MV users will be able to build games for the following platforms:

• Windows/EXE
  • MacOSX/APP
  • Android/APK
  • iOS/IPA
  • HTML 5 for Web Browsers

Is it fair and reasonable to expect that the builds created for these devices be able to be run at a playable speed on modern hardware? I think yes. Games, once they have a special effect in combat, Sound FX & Music all things which are reasonable to expect to find in a game, quickly make the brand new release Samsung Galaxy S7 slow down to a crawl and crash, which wasnt even out at the time that this product was released.

Is it fair and reasonable to expect that one of the primary features of the product, to create a game for these platforms which is also heavily advertised as the "big new feature" of this RPG maker over all the other RPG Makers actually work? I think it is.

Is it fair and reasonable to expect that if they are working on a defect in their product, that they outline an expected time frame within a reasonable time frame to resolve the defect? I think it is.

Is it fair and reasonable after waiting patiently for over 6 months any resemblance of an update on when the product will be repaired to do what it was advertised to do that we should be given an update on its progress and an ETA on when the product will be finally fit to complete its primary purpose be fixed? I think it is.

I would have thought any reasonable person would expect that the product they purchase actually do what it claims to do.

But don't take my word for it. I've also contacted consumer protection regarding it, who also agree and have advised me that if an answer to a time frame to fix the defect is not given that I'm well within my rights to ask for a full refund plus any additional expenses incurred as a result of the product not doing what it was advertised to do, and that if a reasonable resolution is not come to, to raise an official complaint with them and they will act on my behalf.

I would have also thought that any reasonable company that knowingly has a product that is not fulfilling its key features advertised would advise the customers whom have purchased it the progress on how the repairs are coming along. Really its just common courtesy, it shouldn't have to be a law... But fortunately it is.

RPG Maker MV - Build.jpg

RPG Maker MV - Consumer Protection.jpg

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, they have to fix the current issues with the engine (especially on mobile), it's not a matter of "generosity" like some people are saying..

Luckily, we know they are working on it. Now wait :) I just hope I can easily upgrade 1.2 > 1.3 while retaining my old plugins functionalities.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I'm patient enough to wait it out, and give them the time they need to release a well done, and feature full update. There only thing I am bothered by is the fact that they can't talk about it. I am happy we have gotten the past two updates, and they have improved the MV experience greatly. However, in the interest of Kadokawa/Degica Updates should be a priority. Especially in today's software market. If you stagnate you get left behind, with the issues MV has right now, while Current PCs are powerful enough to ignore the problem. The problem still exists and cut's into the software's advertised features. Admittedly, there are things we can do to mitigate some issues for mobile platforms. Reducing file sizes ect, Blegth anyway I'm rambling... TL;DR Kadokawa should be looking out for their bottom line, and to do that, improving their software for current users to keep us as customers as well as bringing in new customers through an active development team and community of satisfied enthusiastic users.
as I know Kadokawa official twitter is more transparent and show progress for degica I guess they aren't allowed to states any official answer. but after degica is just the publisher for the english side they don't have any "power" or "right" to say anything if kadokawa say to them "don't say anything" Degica have to obey.

Isaac The Red

RedMage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Gibberish
Primarily Uses
as I know Kadokawa official twitter is more transparent and show progress for degica I guess they aren't allowed to states any official answer. but after degica is just the publisher for the english side they don't have any "power" or "right" to say anything if kadokawa say to them "don't say anything" Degica have to obey.
Right, I know that. I'm just saying that Kadokawa SHOULD push information through to us. I would think it would be a smart move to communicate with their users, even if its just to say, it's going to take some more time. While then we will still have a crowd of people complaining about setbacks, that's nothing new, but at least if there was some communication with us, we would know where we stand. It's the feeling of being abandoned that's causing this unrest about the lack of the new update. Speaking for myself, I still enjoy the software, I want to publish to mobile like many others, and seeing the performance issues I know i can not do that with MV right now, am I going to rant and rave about it? No, not worth the time to do so. Would I like to make a push for more information, absolutely. I feel after spending a fair chunk of change to obtain the software we are owed at least that much. I know Degica's hands are tied, and every time I've seen them interact with the community its been positive, and if they had the green-light to give us information they would. Though it's a pipe dream, I really think Kadokawa should reach out to the larger members of the comunity like Yanfly who have put so much time into expanding the features of the engine through their plugins so that they can get a head-start on updating to work with the new version because i know this is going to likely break a lot of the functionality of many plugins. @_@

Edit: REJOYCE MY BRETHEREN FOR THE HOLY GRAIL HASBEEN FOUND!!!

No, in all due seriousness however, MV 1.3 just dropped on steam. Time to compatibility check everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Is it wrong to look like a dead fish at all times :)
What worst could happen when your driver said "I know a shortcut"?
Creating Telekinesis script for another user, couldn't resist doing a scripted scene to display progress, when I could have just shown it in seconds XD
My city has enacted some measures to lock down the city from the plague for the first time in China and it has been reported even on some international news. :kaomad2: I'd never imagined my little city would be paid attention to in such a way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris-Dark-Wayne