Willfffff

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi there!

I've been using RPG Maker MV for about a year now. However, around the time I bought it, MZ was released a couple months later. This leads me to my question: Is it worth purchasing MZ when I already MV? Thank you.

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly? No. If you have MV, it's almost the same for me.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MZ has several improvements over MV, but as said above there is the question if they're worth it for you.
1) mapping: choice of manual or automatic layering as compared to automatic layering only for MV
2) uses particle animation as compared to bitmap animations of MV - that could be both a plus or a negative depending on what animations you want
3) several minor improvements to database and event commands

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you really need one of the new features? Then it might be worth it. (For example, the new battle mode sounds like almost exactly what I wanted in my game, so I'm considering upgrading just for that.) But if your game is well into development and you don't need any of the new features, then it's probably not worth it.

Tea's Jams

I'm human
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Additionally, MZ is better optimized. I've yet to run into the maddening lag I got in MV and I'm pushing the envelope even further this time around. Also, from a technical standpoint MZ is a no brainer, since it's a 64bit application and is compatible with Macs newest chip and OS, MV is not. The quality and ease of use of the plugins in MZ is bound to be higher too because of the upgrades to the system.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm still using Ace, so I couldn't give you a definitive answer. But I'd say stick to what you're comfortable with unless it provides something you desperately need for your game.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV = personally better, but there are things MZ has what MV dont have

MZ has 3 layer options (like XP I believe), uses effeskeer instead of image
amination for skills/attacks.

for now, there are MZ plugins developed, most are paid, while MV has loads
for free, and very few works in MZ, but possible with FOSSIL.

while FOSSIL is not 100% replacement, because there can be glitches.
so is it worth buying it? yes and no

yes: most are paid, andeffeskeer for animation might be a little learning curve,
and in some ways better than MV,

no: if you have or already started a game in MV and have plugins used for
mechanics, I should wait before buying it, while most plugins for MV aren't
ported over to MZ or become available until requested.

for me, I stick for MV for a while, now that I got some nice mechanics that
arent doable in MZ yet, unless I port over some plugins to do so, but I think
MV is still easier to use in some ways, but that choice is yours to make.

you can do a trial first, check and decide from there and compare MZ with MV,
see how you feel using the other engine and if it's worth for now or later on,
while MZ get probably more fixes along the way untill really stable version with
bugs/glitches :)

KawaiiKid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
MZ has a few new things, but what you CAN'T beat yet for MV is all the plugins, and support. It will be several years because MZ is on the same level as MV.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
agree with @Tea's Jams regarding MZ's optimization. it's way faster for me both in the editor and in deployment. for me it was worth the price for that alone. the tile layering is more flexible and if you're mapping in the editor, it makes a big difference. if you mostly do parallax mapping then that might not be such a big deal.

as for plugins, yes MV still has the most, but MZ already has a lot, plus there's the FOSSIL back-compatability project that seems to be making some big leaps. Visustella's plugins for MZ are also available, and they're worth paying for imo.

lastly, and I always conclude with this point, as it's maybe the biggest of all: with MZ you can integrate SumRndDude's HUD Maker Ultra/Pro. The MV version is great, but the MZ Ultra/Pro version totally changes what you can do with the engine and the HUD editor is slick, simple, and unbelievably flexible.

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
MZ has a Command Window to call Plugin Commands. Dont underestimate its Power! It is an unbelievable Time Saver.

Alexandre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
For keeping MV:
-You don't have to buy MZ.
-Its plugin library is huge and mostly free.
-You don't have to find an alternative to plugins you were using on MV, as those may not exist yet or may need to be bought.
-MZ RTP isn't very good (100% subjective argument, may be it is actually your gem).
-MV and MZ character generator aren't compatible with each other.
-Officially support Linux.
-Lower system requirements

Neutral:
-MZ uses particles animations, MV bitmap animations.
Particles animations are better than bitmap (better performance, more possibilities), but there is a steep learning curve. You can also not use your old bitmaps to create particles animations. MZ is able to run bitmap animations coming from MV, but its editor is unable to modify them.

For MZ:
-Has layered mapping, although it is useful may be 5% of the time.
-Has some nice quality of life features, notably more user-friendly plugin commands and an event list.
-MZ is more optimized than MV, however it is mostly because it uses a newer version of Nwjs and Pixi. MV can be updated manually to those newer versions, thought.
-MZ can be used to edit a MV project, so you can continue your MV project while benefiting from the better performances during playtest, the event list and the layered mapping.
-Converting a MV project to MZ is super easy, except for the plugins.
-Some functionalities supported by plugins on MV have native support on MZ, notably autosave, ATB, name box for message windows, change of resolution, fonts or police size,...
-Will have official support for the latest versions of Mac

If layered mapping or particle animation is your killer feature, then yes, go for MZ, possibly waiting for the next promotion.
If you are looking for better performances, try updating Pixi or Nwjs first (see this guide, for example: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...dramatically-improve-game-performance.131620/)

Otherwise, as you already have MV, there is little reason to go for MZ, especially if you have a WIP MV project. Those two programs are very similar.

Last edited:

Piyan Glupak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
There are a couple of advantages of MV for me. Firstly, my computer doesn't have 8 megabytes of RAM. Secondly, I use Linux. I don't know whether or not MZ can be made to work reliably on Linux, and I don't even know that my computer would be able to run it because of memory issues.

Arctica

The Arbiter of Time
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Majority of MZ plugins aren't free which is something MV has over MZ in a big way. MV also benefits from being around a lot longer and thus has thrived in the plugin department. Of course I use MZ because I was inspired to use it.

Hisao Shou

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Majority of MZ plugins aren't free which is something MV has over MZ in a big way. MV also benefits from being around a lot longer and thus has thrived in the plugin department. Of course I use MZ because I was inspired to use it.
This is exactly what I wanted to say. Most of the MZ important plugins are paywalled which are limiting your development a lot. If one can afford the price of MZ + All the paywalled plugins, that person can as well afford getting an better development environment on another engine without any limitations to game genres.

Oh, also, at the current moment MV still has many more plugins than MZ has, and this is because the community had more time to make these plugins in all the years since MV exists. I can't really think of anything that MZ can do and MV can't (natively or with workarounds).

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Have you opened all the advent calendar's yet? Don't forget to leave @Starbird_Resources and @WaywardMartian some love!
1638376821276.png
LOOK AT EM GOOOOOOOOOO!
Sorry for the spam with this, I'm just real happy with how this has gone :D
Custom sleep sequence done! :kaopride:
fuY8hyg.gif
The other day I posted a merchant airship tileset and said it was overflow from my Advent Calendar. @Avery said something like "that's one way to flex!" Well, this morning I woke up and realized THAT I MISCOUNTED AND AM SHORT BY ONE DAY. My face and palm are now perfectly fused together.
Shin Megami Tensei V is really fun... and the music is sooo good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoomanBBQ