Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi,
I used MV for a whole while now. The last time was around 2-3 weeks ago, everything was working fine.
Tried to open it up today and got stuck in the infamous white screen of death right after the splash logo.

Windows 10
Steam-Version
Nvidia Drivers are up to date (461.93), however I just upgraded while trying to fix the issue and neither 461.72 (which was installed before) nor 457.51 (which I rollbacked to) helped to solve the issue.

I also tried to put the opengl-file that was proposed in some threads here in the root folder of the maker, which made the tool crash after the splash screen instead of keeping it in the WSOD.

I tried verifying the steam installation and also deleted and reinstalled the whole thing. No changes.

Windows Event Viewer:
Faulting application name: RPGMV.exe, version: 1.6.2.0, time stamp: 0x5c4a8ced
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.844, time stamp: 0xa9ac4e88
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0005f653
Faulting process ID: 0x5600
Faulting application start time: 0x01d71fefba040249
Faulting application path: D:\Programme\Steam\steamapps\common\RPG Maker MV\RPGMV.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: 782c4e38-27e1-47ef-b7e2-ddc8c9ce55b6
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

What should I do next?

Last edited:

JGreene

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you tried running the same project on another computer or making a new project and seeing if it does the same thing? Also, are you running it with admin privileges?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
who is the manufacturer of your display driver? nVidia or Microsoft?

The Microsoft drivers for displays usually contain no or only limited OpenGL compatibility because OpenGL is direct competition to Microsoft's DirectX. And unfortunately the automatic Windows-Updates sometime prefer to install the Microsoft drivers over the original manufacturer's drivers.

If this is the problem, you need to manually install the driver from a downloaded setup from the nVidia-Website to tell windows that you prefer that driver over the MS one.

EDIT: and don't use the opengl file linked in those old topics. that was purely for older display drivers with an older OGL file, because when RMMV was first published it needed the newest OGL version and many computers did not yet have that as part of their regular display driver. Installing that file now (several years and OGL updates later) will only cause problems (as you have seen)

Accendor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
N/A
Have you tried running the same project on another computer or making a new project and seeing if it does the same thing? Also, are you running it with admin privileges

- Tried running as admin, also not working
- Its the same for all projects, not one specific one
- Currently have no other computer available, but tbh I assume it would work there
- I can not create a new project, as this does happen at the startup of the program, not possible to create something new as the menu is unavailable

who is the manufacturer of your display driver? nVidia or Microsoft?

The Microsoft drivers for displays usually contain no or only limited OpenGL compatibility because OpenGL is direct competition to Microsoft's DirectX. And unfortunately the automatic Windows-Updates sometime prefer to install the Microsoft drivers over the original manufacturer's drivers.

If this is the problem, you need to manually install the driver from a downloaded setup from the nVidia-Website to tell windows that you prefer that driver over the MS one.

EDIT: and don't use the opengl file linked in those old topics. that was purely for older display drivers with an older OGL file, because when RMMV was first published it needed the newest OGL version and many computers did not yet have that as part of their regular display driver. Installing that file now (several years and OGL updates later) will only cause problems (as you have seen)
Sorry, I thought I made this clear from the description: The manufacturer is Nvidia, I installed 461.93 using Geforce Experience and 457.51 manually from their website.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The manufacturer is Nvidia, I installed 461.93 using Geforce Experience and 457.51 manually from their website.
that makes this a guessing game - in 99% of all cases of whitescreen so far it had been a display driver/OGL problem. But there have been a few cases indicating that there might be another possible cause for a whitescreen, it was just never pinpointed and confirmed.

one or two cases claimed that the whitescreen was solved by reinstalling the audio drivers. I won't say that is impossible (it can be a memory adress overlap between two drivers), but most likely that was a mistaken correlation. It doesn't hurt to update your audio drivers to test that however.
one confirmed case was a bad windows update - rather unlikely because you already rolled back, and it would have more than one person complaining if it was really a windows update just this week.

one other possibility is a conflicting Qt version - but when that happened in the past the result was something other than whitescreen.
Qt is the name of the programming framework used to create the MV and MZ editors, but it is used by many other programs as well. If you recently installed another program that uses the Qt engine, and that installed had an older Qt version overwriting the version used by MV and MZ, then it might have caused an incompatibility.
Have you installed some new programs during those 2-3 weeks?

Accendor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
N/A
Solved it myself
In case anyone has this problem again:

Its not enough to simply uninstall your drivers, even if they are not from microsoft but from AMD/NVIDIA. Its also not enough to perform a "clean installation" from e.g. Geforce Experience.

It is important that you do the following steps in exactly this order if nothing else helps. Don't repeat my mistake and think "this should not matter, I can skip this step or do this other step first", it DOES matter.

You have to manually go to the Windows Device Manager, go to your Display Drivers, manually remove them, reboot and then update your drivers through e.g. Nvidia Experience. This time your PC should reboot and when windows starts again you will have a drastically reduced resolution (large symbols of your desktop, appears to be zoomed in). This is because for this very short moment you actually have no graphic driver installed.

You should get a prompt now that basically asks if the Windows Hosts Process (or something similar) is allowed to make changes to your devices.
You have to say NO here as it will simply install the wrong drivers again. Instead, continue your installation from Nvidia Experience (or manually). After rebooting again not only your resolution should be fixed, but the RPG Maker should also be able to start up again.

After going through all my files and logs again and again it seems like this issue can happen if you manually downgraded your display driver at some point (which I did to trouble shoot).
This combined with Microsofts feature to IMMEDIATELY install a display driver if none is present (without asking you) can make actually fixing this really annoying, especially if you are not 100% sure that you will actually fix your issue with this.

So yeah. Perhaps this helps someone :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dev_With_Coffee you completely mistook the error description.
It was never about the game project having problems, it was about the editor giving only a whitescreen. The help menu of your first solution didn't even exist at all at that problem.

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I'm sorry

I remember that a security module was installed on my computer to manage a bank account, but other software was affected, the windows appeared, but the texts did not.

Try to get the model of your motherboard to be able to download the correct drivers from the official website instead of updating with such "correction software" as (DriverBooster / SlimDriver).

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

To cut down on map lag, I've been researching how to implement a lighting layer as a single map overlay instead of a bunch of individual lights. Hopefully I'll have a screenshot soon!
Imagine having a game broken up into a whole bunch of chapters? Like Chapter 11 should be about the party members going bankrupt.
Over 1/4th of the calendars are already out :eek: Have you already put something to a good use?
Where would you go if you're looking to hire someone on here? I'm in need of a writer to take my story concept and turn it into npcs/dialog in my game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LXRDFLXRVL