MV3D - 3D rendering for RMMV with Babylon.js

sameul13579

yum yum tank!
Reaction score
First Language
Inuktitut
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm currently have problem with the player flashlight. I would like to enable it once I picked up the lantern but when I picked, nothing happens. ;-;Annotation 2019-12-13 002816.png
Annotation 2019-12-13 002913.png
Annotation 2019-12-13 002938.png

Dread_Nyanak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@sameul13579
Leaving the room and coming back seems to make the flashlight work. I'll try to get the bug fixed for the next update.

Edit: The bug is related to the lights per mesh limit, which reminds me that I still need to fix that.

Last edited:

LeeRyuto

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, this is great! I have been looking for something like this for a long time! :) Just want to ask a few things as I haven't been able to figure out how to fully utilise this plugin.

1) Is speech bubbles/ icon bubbles available yet? Tried with Yanfly plugin but did not work and i read an earlier post that plugins that involves x and y coordinates might not work.

2) Is there any way to place a block/platform in the air (z coordinate) instead of increasing the height? I understand it is top view down so i may be hard to implement. I was thinking something along this kind of options (object height z:3 to 5) where the cell has a height from 3 to 5 and the bottom is open. This way it can but things like bridges or open gates without the need of events.

3) is there a way to fog at the end/edge of the maps? Or limit camera to within the limits of the map? At certain angles the regional height can be seen and sometime it isn't the most visual appealing material :X

Overall this is an excellent plugin and I do hope to be able to (with my limited skill) use it and do it justice.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
3) is there a way to fog at the end/edge of the maps? Or limit camera to within the limits of the map? At certain angles the regional height can be seen and sometime it isn't the most visual appealing material :X
Do you mind sharing screenshots of what you mean? On one hand, I think I know what it is, and the system could maybe use, eventually, some "smart camera" features (it's hard use a low camera tilt unless you plan maps with no camera movement), but on the other hand it's a set of limitations that if you properly work around them, produce charming results.

BTW, I found out that if you use a parallax map with the same color as your fog, it'll look like your objects are fading into the flat color. Oh, that brings me to a simple, but possibly effective feature request, @Dread_Nyanak !
Right now I'm creating Parallax images with a single pixel, containing the relevant color for the fog. For a big game, that'd be kind of cumbersome, but perfectly doable. Now, if we could setup something like fog_parallax(true), and that made the engine create a 1px parallax image on the fly with the color of the fog, it'd look pretty cool and be pretty streamlined! Or it could be something like: parallax_color(#FF2255), parallax_color(teal), parallax_color(fog).

Dread_Nyanak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
New update out. Light limit is fixed, and added options to the options menu. Player can now set their own render distance, toggle mipmapping, and change shadow quality. Also added Alpha Fog for patrons.

@LeeRyuto
I can probably add support for balloon icons when I do animations. It's not trivial to add, but animations are pretty close on my todo list.
For the speech bubble plugin, I'll add that the the list of plugins I want to support.

To place a tile in the air, you can use star passage and the fringe function. But you won't be able to walk on these tiles.
To make a tile in the air you can walk on, you can give it a height and then remove the side texture with side(B,0,0).
Those are the only ways for now I think. There's no way to make a bridge you can both walk on and under for now. That's something I'd like to add eventually, but I might have to rewrite a lot of the movement and collision code to make it happen.

Putting fog at the edge of the map would be really cool. I could probably write a shader to do that. Thanks for the idea.

@JosephSeraph
Right now the clear color is always transparent so you can see the parallax image behind it. But What I could do is make it so if you don't have a parallax image then the clear color is set to be the same as the fog.

Reactions: Val

k333

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Español
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there !

I been testing the dinamic light plugin.... and the resoult is trully awesome, still had problems the times when i want to create caves/closet rooms, so i think maybe would be usefull to can disable and enable the source of light on the dinamic light plugin via map notes or plugin commands ( the one who is located on the up corner by default) to disable it when you make caves and closed rooms , and the ability to alterate the position of that source of light ( so if, as an example you wanna make a closed room, and on the front part theres a window who would let the sun light goes inside the room )

i been kinda playing with the slopes to see what can i achieve, still think is really important the (Y) rotation tool for the events, cause the tiles only can face 4 directions while the events can have horizontal rotation 360 degrees , when you try to do something like..idk, a huge palm leaf, it looks less organic to made them only face 4 directions ^^

this..is really turning into one of the best plugins on rpg maker mv btw , awesome job ^^!

Dread_Nyanak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@k333
In the newest update I made it so the light doesn't shine through the ceiling. There's a new parameter in the ceiling function to get the old behavior back. ceiling(A4,0,0|2,true). In future updates you'll be able to change the color and direction of the sunlight.

LeeRyuto

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dread_Nyanak
Glad that you like the idea. Just a few other things that got me stuck.

1) I can't put multiple stairs together (upwards or downwards). I meant I can put them but they don't function properly. I cam walk up the first flight and then i can't move forward anymore. So far able to rectify this by putting a flat ground in between but thought i should let you know.

2) I can rotate the screen with Q and E keys, however is there a way to speed up/slow down rotation for cut scene purposes? Something like a delay rotation for 60 frames etc.

3) Not sure as I cannot find a tutorial anywhere, but is there anyway to make the camera look upwards or downwards?

4)Anyway to stack more than 2 height for trees? Currently 'cheating by using platforms on the back trees to make them seems taller.

On the plus side I was able to use the slope function to make triangle roofs. :) If there is a tutorial or a help file do let me know where can i find it, still trying to figure out many of the codes/functions.

Last edited:

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, I tried to adjust, but is there any way I can make the city display correctly?

Zekken

Programmer? Pro-Gamer? Pro-Grammar?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How to apply apache lisence 2.0?

Dread_Nyanak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update:
When not using a parallax background, clear color is set to be the same as fog color.
Fixed multiple stairs in a row.

@LeeRyuto
To rotate the camera for cutscenes, you will use plugin commands.
mv3d yaw 45 1
The first number is the degree of rotation, and the second number is the time (seconds) it takes to rotate.

To rotate the camera up and down, there's a setting in the parameters to let the player pitch the camera with pageup and pagedown.
You can also use plugin commands.
mv3d pitch 60 1

The closest thing I have to a tutorial is the help text, which describes all the configuration functions and lists all the plugin commands. It can be found in the plugin manager and on the github page.

Currently the only way to make trees more than 2 tiles tall is to use events.
You can either move the tree texture onto a character page, or stack multiple events on top of each other using <mv3d: pos(1,1)> to change their location. You can also use <mv3d:scale(1,2)> to make the tree events taller, but that will stretch them.

@palatkorn
The city tiles look half-decent with shape(cross)
I assume you're using terrain tag 1, which uses the xcross shape by default. You can configure the terrain tags in the plugin parameters.

@Zekken
I don't know what you mean. This plugin doesn't use apache license.

Last edited:

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Is there such a thing as a Z-coordinate for the game map in this plugin?
For example, this simple system here uses X and Y coordinates to check for collision.

However, I can see triggering an event on the wrong Z a potential issue with this. Granted, it's easy to circumvent it with regions, terrain, or a manual height check etc. when climbing stairs, and it's also easy to design maps around this so it's not an issue. However, it'd still be something useful!

Also, making tiles for this is so much easier than making regular 2D tiles. Anything looks good if you add a little bit of polish with height and colors and whatnot lol
In addition, isometric characters are naturally easier to make too, because you only need to make 2 directions... if you're an artist, this plugin not only looks luxuriously good but it also helps you cut down your budget immensely, too, lol.

I can see commercial games made with this being much cheaper to fund, in terms of tiles and characters, than by going with vanilla MV >v>) (if you're replacing every asset) and even MV RTP gets such a cool look within it... And then there's all the other RTPs and asset packs eehehe

potoko

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do Dynamic Shadows allow to block the light source with tiles and events to create a kind of fog of war or field of view (player would then be the light source)?

Dread_Nyanak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@JosephSeraph
To get a character's z height with script you can use character.mv3d_sprite.z. Right now z is calculated based on the tile you're standing on, so it's sort of a fake z coordinate and is just used for rendering and collision.
Making it so you can only trigger and collide events at the same z level as is something I'm thinking of adding. Probably along with a triggerHeight function for times when you need triggerHeight(Infinity).

@Zekken
I see what you mean now. The license text is already in the source code (babylon.js), so you don't need to worry about it.

@potoko
You could probably use the dynamic shadows for something like that. I'm not sure how ideal it would be though. Fog of war would be a good feature to add in the future though. The implementation would be pretty similar to the feature to fade map edges.
I don't have any plugin commands for the dynamic shadows yet, but you can alter the angle and lighting with scripts.
mv3d.sunNode.rotation is the direction, and mv3d.sunlight.diffuse is the color.

Also, coming soon:

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
To get a character's z height with script you can use character.mv3d_sprite.z
Interesting! I'll test it out. Does it account for height changes in event settings?

Also, exciting news about the balloons! Do you intend to implement Animation playing on events, as well?

Dread_Nyanak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I'm trying to get animations working right now. They're a little more complicated than the balloons though.

And it does take the event settings into account. This is the actual position of the sprite.
To just get the height of the map at a location, you can use getWalkHeight(x,y);

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, I've encountered a problem.

Last edited:

Dread_Nyanak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@palatkorn
I can't get that to happen on my end. Maybe there's an error happening that isn't reporting properly? (That happens sometimes with asynchronous code)
Can you open the console with F8 or F12 and show me if anything appears there?
It also looks like you have a lot of plugins active, so it's possible it might be conflicting with something there. If you send me a project file with the bug then I might be able to figure out what's causing it.

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fixing was not what I thought at first.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 8)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Is it okay to hug a tree? :/
The new intro Logo for my videos.

I speed it up, the one I use to use was to long.
The workweek is now over. Now I can work on my GamZzzzzZzzzzZzzzZzzZz....
Just watched Onward with the family. One of the best movies I've ever seen. <3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Illuminachos