MV3D - 3D rendering for RMMV with Babylon.js

k333

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Español
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@safermike thats a great job , and i totally understand what you mean... thats a great job!, i can guess why you also need qmovement, looking at the thin shelf (0:16) i can see you need those custom colliders, had the same problem on my project too.... she already said she was thinking on made qmovement compatible with the plugin, still in the worse scenario i guess if she decide to work on non tiled movement on the plugin if she made special colliders shapes available in that part qmovement will no longer be 100% necesary

the tilt / you were talking about, i believe if i understand right you are talking about something she already add into the plugin a while ago, gonna copy paste the part on her plugin help file were she talks about it :

"The yaw function will rotate the event's mesh horizontally. Rotation applies

before pitch. Doesn't work with Sprite or Tree shapes.

0 is south, 90 is east, 180 is north, and 270 is west.

Example: yaw(45)

The pitch function will tilt the event's mesh vertically. Doesn't worth with

Sprite shapes.

Example: pitch(20)

The rot function will rotate the event's mesh horizontally. Rotation applies

after pitch. Doesn't work with Sprite or Tree shapes.

Example: rot(45)"

this 3 things will kinda all together will let you rotate a flat shape 360 degress, for ceilings or tree more complicated forms and all that stuff, you can now kinda make all kind of forms using that , specially if you use the The x() and y() functions to offset events , still all the figures you could do are kinda polygonal, to made cylinder, sphere or cone kinda things, you still have the choice to construct them a bit poly, i do that to make sphere-like ceilings on temples and all that stuff, still is one of her to do list to, if its posible, to add 3d shapes, but meanwhile just in case experiment with the things i listed there

congrats on your map work, it really looks amazing! , i still would think you should rotate some of the figures " taking on mind you are using qmovement and can make poly colliders" would look more organic and natural if you dont put all the things on square 90 degress shapes all the time, a good example would be ,if you look at octopath traveler, even if they tend to construct everything on a lot of square like shapes, they add some tilt things in some places or even on the floor structure to make it look a bit less blocky , as an example i think the fence on 0:58 would improve a lot with a "rot(45)" event with the fence shape !

also, i see you are using a charset meant to be used on isometric games, i recomend you to use more than one perspective character, cause when you move the camera up-down, the charset does not look that well, in my personal case i made an up view charset, a kinda side view one and a isometric one, that would polish a bit more the resoult ^^

thats really an awesome job you did on that map ^^! congrats

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@k333, if I understand you, it's already possible to make cyliders?!

k333

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Español
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@fizzly it is posible to made cylinder-like structures, using events, if you offset textures and rotate them, depending on how many events you use you can made less or more poly kinda like cylinders, let me explain with a modified internet picture, a image explain better... well on the two examples below, you can se a "polygon cylinder" made with offsent events, theres a 12 faces one, and a 8 faces one, you can also made even more soft rounded ones the more events u use to made the shape, try to think like the old playstation one graphics, cause to made rounded shapes required more power, they tend to 1- fake the round shapes, or 2- made polygon like rounded shapes, all the shapes on the example below are posible using the rot comand and offset events, and the figures can be as small or big as you decide, all with the current plugin, i know they are not 100% rounded, but as soon as you need cylinders shaped -like things, every single figure here its posible as soon as you take the time to construct them with offset events , rot and pitch:

btw, @Dread_Nyanak , i dont know how posible would be, but would be nice to add a new event shape, like the x cross and all the other ones, to add a # shape, to fast- made cute looking columns on a sinlge event, and a hexagoon shape, who repeat the flat event 6 time to made the hexagoon like form with a single event, those two would be really useful ! , would simplify a lot to create those recurrent shapes without need to use multiple events o.o!, idk how good it would sound....

explicacion.png

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@k333 thank you so much for easy-to-understand explanation. I agree that would be great to "event shape". So it's actually really time consuming to create cylinder like this...also event, consuming. Well...I think it's better to wait for cylinders I think, and I hope they will be implemented! Boxes, cylinders, spheres, thats all I need...

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Woho! New plugin version! And it seems my suggestions were fixed, nice! Will have to check it out on my next day off and see how it works now :)

safermike

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
swedish
Primarily Uses
@fizzly
All of these objects are done with combining tile manipulation with lots of events.

Fireplace - 2 tiles and 19 events with z(0.0), x(0.0),y(0.0) and rot(0) plugin commands.
Cooking fan - 7 events with same plugin commands.
toilet - 2 tiles and 6 events , same plugin commands.

Because of no 3d models yet, objects have to have alot of improvisations and mostly a event per side, roof, floor etc. Its alot of visulization but it can be done this way.

@k333
I didnt think of using pitch at all, thats exactly what I wanted for tilts.
For rot, I was under the impression it only went 90 degrees to 360, but using every degree helped alot.

Ya It gets kinda stiffy with just using 90 degrees shapes, but these gave me some more ideas to work it.

The charset are ment for isometric, its supposed to be in a yaw 45 on camera once its done, but for I was using camera 0 yaw mostly for animation and events. Its mostly just for now kinda thing.

---
And thx for liking my mapping :)

Dread_Nyanak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@safermike
I'm working on QMovement right now actually. Don't expect it to be working until the next major update 0.5.

After QMovement is done I'm going to make some changes that should allow building complex shapes with less events.

And the thing with slopes is probably a bug. It looks like the bottom texture isn't being positioned properly.

hsumi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is phenomenal and I'm so glad I found it! Downloaded the demo and was blown away by the sheer potential this has as a tool.

CoopNinjask

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For those who are looking to make a game in 3D, I created a tool that helps the creation of Battlebacks with 3D look with just a few clicks.
Take a look!

A new update of the Environment System also came out to support the use of 3D Battlebacks. (Also updated to version 0.4.5 of MV3D)

Stay with a video of what battles look like using 3D Battlebacks! :hwink:

glaphen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I bought the premium from itch but both settings seem to have problems with alpha tiles, with shadows they don't seem to generate one if the tile has any alpha, I tried changing tileset sheet to alpha instead with alpha(1) but didn't make a difference, either way it makes a shadow from the normal alpha wall inside the alpha wall, I can fix that by extending the alpha to there but they don't generate a shadow either way. Shadow in wall at bottom part
ShadowInWall.png

The alpha fog has the bigger problem with making these see through outlines around the alpha wall even when at 0.1
Outlines.png
I thought it was because region was turning bottom invisible but I was using the 0.92 tileset alpha with alpha(1) region for all the images. Here's a comparison of full alpha(1) wall with no fog and alpha(1) with 0.1 fog.
Alpha(1).png
NoAlphaFog.png

I managed to solve the outline by giving the bottoms height(0.001), but too high and it will jitter from combining mesh.

Last edited:

Dread_Nyanak

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@glaphen
Unfortunately this is a limitation of Babylon.js. I haven't been able to find a workaround yet. Objects with alpha transparency can't generate shadows and are ignored by the depth map which I use for the alpha fog.
The problem is especially bad in your case because you're using a lot of alpha transparency.

Karbonic

Off Brand OFF
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you have a trello or a page where we can keep up on your future plans for this plugin?
Really interesting stuff, keep up the good work!

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@glaphen I had mentioned a problem like yours earlier, when alpha fog is turned on and a character has something that changes the opacity, like standing on a bush tile, if the background is the parallax it is invisible if there is nothing on the way.
But the shadows... that I never noticed... do they not happen with alpha fog turned off too (set to 0) or only with it on too?

glaphen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@glaphen I had mentioned a problem like yours earlier, when alpha fog is turned on and a character has something that changes the opacity, like standing on a bush tile, if the background is the parallax it is invisible if there is nothing on the way.
But the shadows... that I never noticed... do they not happen with alpha fog turned off too (set to 0) or only with it on too?
The first image is with fog 0, anything with any opacity lower than full visibility doesn't make a shadow, but if you make only top opacity it makes slight weird shadows. The shadow in wall only happens because of negative fringe probably.
TopOnly.png0.png

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Noobish question:

In the demo, the shadow in the back is white for me, but what should I do if I want to make the background of a map I transport to, black?

It seems like, once I move from a map where the bg is white, I can't change it another color. i tried the fog and sun commands in the map's notes.

Crampus

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sorry for asking simple questions but this is the first time I've had to use a plugin of this caliber.
Can someone tell me how to create a ceiling and go into first person mode? I see the ceiling text, but I'm not sure where to input that. As for first person mode I have no clue.

The other thing is all the characters have a black square underneath them, also when they're walking. Does anyone know how to remove that?

Noobish question:

In the demo, the shadow in the back is white for me, but what should I do if I want to make the background of a map I transport to, black?

It seems like, once I move from a map where the bg is white, I can't change it another color. i tried the fog and sun commands in the map's notes.
Did you try adding a parallax background to the map?

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Crampus you set the ceiling on the map notetags. It is explained in the github in the section "Setting A Ceiling For A Map"
Basically the notetag is "ceiling(img,x,y,w,h|height|alpha|glow[anim]animx,animy )" inside the map's configuration block. all those ceiling settings work the same way as setting a tile's top, side, bottom or inside by the way.
I think ceilings only appear in first person view though?
To go to first person, set the camera's dist to 0, either in the map notetag block or with the plugin command. pitch and yaw may need to be set too.

The black square under them... is there a shadow image in your img/mv3d folder?

@gRaViJa how did you make it white in the first place? O_O isn't it usually just black when no parallax image is set?

@glaphen I'm not sure if I am right, but did you try changing the "Alpha cutoff" in the original plugin? I'm not sure exactly how it works, it may be exactly this.

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
@Waterguy: somehow, it's not for me! I'm using other plugins as you know, so might be the reason. Anyway, I'm using a black parallax bg now. It's only a couple kb so not the end of the world.

Also: I'm trying to set up 2x2 book cases, what is the best way to set these up? I tried it through events with the shape notetag and through terrain tag, but none seem to work how i think it should:

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@gRaViJa I suggest visiting tinypng then, they make the images even smaller but they may lose some quality... but if they are already one solid color, there is nothing to lose.
Ok, decorating... that is a bit of a difficult thing to do with this plugin actually, because it is trying to put 2d tiles in the 3d world... I think the best for that example you put is either setting them as a fence or using events, but the main things: to make tiles have two of height they need to be put in the same tile so one is put over the other, and unless you set fringe star passages are set for the plugin parameter's (that is, 2 tiles up by default).
Anything more complex, you'llneed to set them through events and their notetags.

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
@Waterguy So maybe the lower parts as normal tiles with notetags and the top part as events? I'll have to play around with it until i find the best way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
4 days im not using my laptop to waiting someone to reinstall (sigh)
Stream will be live shortly with some Donkey Kong 64! Feel free to drop by!
Working on a test Boss for the new No Travel Game Jam
- Name Plugin by Moghunter -
Free RPG Maker Ready Charging Up Animation

Enjoy -No Credit Needed But Appreciated -
Download it at https://lvgames.itch.io/free-charging-up-pixel-animation-fx-rpg-maker-ready
:/ .... so, thought I’d go to the park to sit in the cool breeze and get out of the house a little. Nope, guess that’s quarantined too. Ok...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whypzk