MV3D - 3D rendering for RMMV with Babylon.js

malonkey1

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
on the first, they used to take a blink when changing models, Dread did try a way to avoid this though but I didn't check it myself yet. So while a good idea not sure how workable it is on the newer version yet.

Second one... for now we can only use obj, and as far as I know they get their textures from an mtl file linked to itself that gets the image data right from the relevant image files. They are a duo for now, meaning one model and its same-name mtl. So I guess not yet.
Okay, near as I can tell babylonJS supports something called "Procedural Textures" which might make animated textures doable to some extent:

I don't know if this plugin has integrated that particular feature of babylonJS, but if @Dread_Nyanak did elect to include an animated texture function, that would probably be the place to look first.

TheDrifter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi, I have a few questions about MV3D

1) Is it possible to "dislocate" the camera away from the player and have it use another event's viewpoint instead? (e.g. say the player has a computer monitor that's hooked up to a security camera in another room, is there a way to change the player's viewpoint to that of the camera?)

2) I know it's possible to make bridges or floating platforms with events, but is there a way to make a multi-story building with more than just two floors? (e.g. have five tiles one above the other without having to create multiple events and change their x/y/z coordinates in note tags so that they overlap at different heights).

3) Does the Premium version of the plugin let you create 3D treasure chests/boxes that can open and close? What about a simple 3D armchair/throne or other types of furniture?

Thank you!

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
2) I know it's possible to make bridges or floating platforms with events, but is there a way to make a multi-story building with more than just two floors? (e.g. have five tiles one above the other without having to create multiple events and change their x/y/z coordinates in note tags so that they overlap at different heights).
Is there any particular reason why you can't split this in different maps?
Regardless of it being doable or not, it's gonna be considerably more taxing for the hardware.

3) Does the Premium version of the plugin let you create 3D treasure chests/boxes that can open and close? What about a simple 3D armchair/throne or other types of furniture?
While I won't say a no and will let Dread reply to this, I just want to say you can technically animate any 3D model by just swapping the model like you'd swap a sprite! (actually this is a doable way to implement 3d models as characters... by having 3D "spritesheets" inside the FBX model)

you just need a new model for every frame... Which... Wow. @Dread_Nyanak just a suggestion but. having the ability to swap between multiple models inside a given .FBX or .OBJ (dont remember what u use) seems pretty dope. @w@

NekomimiEnnui

(๑ↀᆺↀ๑)✧
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! I've been using this plugin for a personal project of mine and I've managed to use slope regions to create some fairly convincing sloped roofs. However, it does seem to do some strange things to the texture alignment and I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix this.

(Also, this is my first post... :kaoblush:)

Lupinos

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Hello! I've been using this plugin for a personal project of mine and I've managed to use slope regions to create some fairly convincing sloped roofs. However, it does seem to do some strange things to the texture alignment and I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix this.

(Also, this is my first post... :kaoblush:)
I had the same issue.
I managed it like this.
I defined the rooftop tile as a slope. The rooftop tile is located on D.
Also on D I defined a side texture for the slope and gave it the height 0.5 (since my slopes are slope(0.5))
So I have:
Code:
D,Xr,Yr:slope(0.5),side(D,Xs,Ys) //Xr,Yr = Location of roof and Xs,Ys = Location of Side on D
D,Xs,Ys:height(0.5)
Default height of a wall is 2. So I painted a square of 4 by 6 tiles with an A4 wall.
In the middle of it I painted a 2 by 6 square with the side tile on D and on top of this I painted the roof with a 4 by 6 square and defined with the shadow pen the direction of the slopes.
The result is this:

Attachments

Last edited:

cuzisaidso

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
@cuzisaidso you said the same happens with wall setting... does it happen with 0.6.3 too? Because if I was right on the cause this is exactly one of the things Dreaded changed in this new version...
Updated mv3d to 0.6.3 as well as the .map file and that seems to have done it.

Lupinos

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Hi, I have a few questions about MV3D

1) Is it possible to "dislocate" the camera away from the player and have it use another event's viewpoint instead? (e.g. say the player has a computer monitor that's hooked up to a security camera in another room, is there a way to change the player's viewpoint to that of the camera?)
Yes. You can have other targets for the camera.
Code:
mv3d camera target @t <t>
Change the camera's target. Camera will transition to the new target over time <t>.

Valid targets:

- @p or @player: Targets $gamePlayer. - @e0, @e1, @e2, @e25 etc: Targets event with specified id. - @f0, @f1, @f2, etc: Targets first, second, third follower, etc. - @v0, @v1, @v2: Boat, Ship, Airship.
(from the official documentation)

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
and it seems now a tracking was added so you can have the camera in one thing and move to keep in view another. still didn't test it though

Lupinos

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Hi,
I stumpled upon a problem with setting the ceiling by regions. My idea was to have a ceiling with different levels of height. The default ceiling of the map has a height of 3 so I wanted to setup a region tag with ceiling height 4, to give the ceiling a bit more structure by adding a square in the middle of the hall of a temple above a water pond.
Unfortunately the inner walls look plain black, when I do so (see picture) and I cannot figure out, if it is possible to give them a texture? And if yes; how I do so?
(I already tried side, inside, texture and even backface.)

Attachments

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Lupinos it is because the side walls don't reach that high, so on there it is showing the parallax/skybox. Just like if a wall didn't reach the normal ceiling and there was only the map's edge behind it.
If this was just a whole room with a higher ceiling, I'd suggest you to try putting them to be higher. The ceiling on the lower places will stop them, and on the higher places will be filled to reaching properly.
Since it is in the middle of the room like this instead , I guess you'll have to put some tiles with high fringe/events in the proper Z to become the upper wall there...
That said, it is a good point, maybe we could suggest @Dread_Nyanak to let us put an inside for the ceiling for these cases?

KirkMarkarian

Electronic Music Composer / Sound Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Will this beautiful plugin be adapted to work with RPG Maker MZ? I was unable to search effectively for an answer to this.

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hard to tell. even if Dread feels like it, she does not seem to be one of the beta-testers/developers/those with a pre-release version, so she has no way to see what would need to change already. they would probably be compatible, but no way to know yet for sure and how much would need to be changed.

Lupinos

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
@Lupinos it is because the side walls don't reach that high, so on there it is showing the parallax/skybox. Just like if a wall didn't reach the normal ceiling and there was only the map's edge behind it.
If this was just a whole room with a higher ceiling, I'd suggest you to try putting them to be higher. The ceiling on the lower places will stop them, and on the higher places will be filled to reaching properly.
Since it is in the middle of the room like this instead , I guess you'll have to put some tiles with high fringe/events in the proper Z to become the upper wall there...
That said, it is a good point, maybe we could suggest @Dread_Nyanak to let us put an inside for the ceiling for these cases?
That makes sense, since I found a solution with a fringed tile on E, which filled the gap.
I agree. It would be worth a suggestion for a future upgrade.

Btw @Dread_Nyanak your plugin is amazing! In past times I worked with MGC's H-Mode7 on RMXP and First Person Labyrinth Explorer on VXAce and now I have basically both in one engine and even better! When I found it a few days ago, it just blew my mind. :)
(Even a friend of mine, who did not like H-Mode7 and FPLE, said that it is amazing!)

Last edited:

PistolPirate

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello! New to rpgmaker MV (been using VX Ace for years) and I've been doing a lot of research into the 3d plug-ins. I know there's been mentions of being able to import 3d models into MV and so I was curious if it was possible to have something that resembled this (not exactly but like where you can have mountains and other such things on the world map)?1-spacelimits11.jpg

jacktarma

COBRA!!!!!
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I have:
Code:
D,Xr,Yr:slope(0.5),side(D,Xs,Ys) //Xr,Yr = Location of roof and Xs,Ys = Location of Side on D
D,Xs,Ys:height(0.5)
an easier way is to set a non-A2 tile with height, then overlap it with an A2 tile.

i found that the A2 and non-A2 tile would "join" and thus prevents texture warping due to height difference when there is a slope of some kind.

jacktarma

COBRA!!!!!
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
they would probably be compatible, but no way to know yet for sure and how much would need to be changed.
i doubt it. even though MZ still uses Javascript, it will have layering <-- that will render MV3D moot when it comes to absolute height, especially when you have a flying craft.

in truth, i'd rather have MZ as an MV patch than a new RPGMaker, since the differences are relatively cosmetic and in most ways, inconsequential. with the departure of some very good plugin makers, i seriously doubt MZ will make much headway.

... to add, they should really get rid of the bobbly headed chibi midget characters (come on folks, how do you take that seriously as a character?) and replace it with proper 2x1 standing characters.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does anyone have any idea's on how to make a roof style like that look good?ruff.PNG
not super important I dont mind a one way roof but I thought this would be a nice addition.

jacktarma

COBRA!!!!!
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does anyone have any idea's on how to make a roof style like that look good?
have 2 separate C-D tiles to be used as a roof and set them to have different side textures:

x,x,x:side(x,x,x),depth(x),slope(x)

(and thanks to @YoraeRasante for the headsup):
you can set a different texture for each different side of the roof by using:
x,x,x:south(+x,+x),west(+x,+x),east(+x,+x),north(+x,+x)

if for any reason you're not able to use the shadow pen for direction, use rot(x).

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey everyone, since it is being mentioned and relevant right now...
I've been helping on the documentation wiki, sometimes asking Dread for clarifications, others testing and taking pics to show better.
Very recently I made a page with the basics of regions. Not linked directly on the front page, but you can get there through the site map.

So, I think it is important to make clear to everyone, regions only affect the tiles on A1, A3, A4, A5 and the left half of A2.
So the best way to make a separate roof from the actual house is to make the house with the tiles the regions do affect, then use one of the tiles per height of roof. Dread herself did it in the demo, if you pay attention the houses have a thin roof set through a D tile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Here is my valiant and beloved captain
of the space cruiser ROSTOV.
Made a video showcasing a plugin (by Triacontane) that allows us to summon a relative touchpad/analog stick wherever we touch on the game's screen. (Mostly for mobile RPG Maker games.)

EmptyVoid_ wrote on Leporine's profile.
Just letting you know that I have written a PM to you.
Testing testing. First time doing this.

What are we, facekook?
I feel inspired to write something, but block getting the way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speedster