GumboSoup

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi there! I'm using cutievirus MV3D plugin, which has been around for a long time, and there is a problem which has been driving me insane, though I'm not sure whether it's a bug or I'm doing something wrong.

Clipboard-1.jpg.png
As you can see in the uploaded image, the left and right barrels are displayed differently even though they use exactly the same tile graphic and are positioned correspondingly on the map. However, the left one is defined as a tile while the right one is an event displaying a sprite. In addition, when you start moving around, you realize there is something seriously off with the event sprite. When looking at the sprite it is as if it is pushed back, to the very back end of the tile (in the above picture, it looks it is smaller, but in fact it is hugging the back of the tile). And when you change perspective, it looks as if it has changed position and moved itself to the far end of the tile you're facing. It gives the whole experience a very un-solid feel, as if sprites are sliding around you depending on where you look rather than simply staying anchored to their positions. After a lot of digging and experimenting I've narrowed the problem down to the Sprite Offset variable in the plugin parameters. If I change it, the position appearance of tiles changes, but the event sprites do not! If I change the Sprite Offset to 0.5, all the tile sprites will appear as centered in the middle of the tile, while the event sprites will appear as if Sprite Offset is still at 0 and thus pushed to the far end of their tile. No matter what I tried to do, the offset for events remains unchanging and it does look super-unnatural when you start moving around. Can someone help me with this? Is there a way to force event sprites to use Sprite Offset or is that some kind of a bug in the plugin itself that can be fixed? Thanx!

/note This was posted on cutievirus discord but I'm placing here it as well to increase my chances of someone knowledgeable noticing it. I hope you forgive me!

palatkorn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The barrels doesn't seem like a good thing to make it into an event.
Maybe you didn't set the size or scale.

<mv3d:,scale(0.50,0.20)>
This is a note tag. To adjust try this.

GumboSoup

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, the problem is not about the sprites themselves, but the way how MV3D displays event sprites and tile sprites differently. Ignore the barrel graphic. Imagine it is the most perfect sprite for this perspective you can imagine. It would still look bad and off.

In short, tile sprites have Sprite Offset parameter applied to them, which allows setting relative position of the sprite graphic towards the camera. The best value for this parameter, especially in first person is 0.5 which places the sprite in the middle of the tile, and it can be adjusted in plugin parameters.

Event sprites however, for a reason I cannot fathom because it must be a bug, do not apply Sprite Offset parameter, or rather they behave as if its value is 0 - farthest away from the camera. And that is the absolutely worst possible value which makes sprites appear to "dance away from the camera", sliding on the floor as they do so. In the above example, the right barrel appears to be right against the wall while its true position is the same as the left barrel. If I were to turn left or right it would "jump" away from the wall and try to get furthest away from me in direction of the camera. Not something a believable barrel would do.

Imagine there is a tree in a square plot. As you go right toward it it appears as it is trying to get as far away from you, hugging the far end of the plot. However if you look to the side, it suddenly jumps to be closer to you while moving in direction of the side you are facing. (not something a normal tree would do because they usually stay in their place no matter how you look at them, trees generally ignore their observers unlike mv3d events it seems)

It creates a very unnatural and even unpleasant effect once you become aware of it. And the infuriating thing is that it should be incredibly easy to solve - just apply Sprite Offset 0.5 to it just like you would to tile sprites. But this isn't possible because event sprites ignore Sprite Offset parameter in plugin parameters and behave as if its value is 0 no matter what you do.

I can't see any reason why this is so, but it really breaks quality of the display, making it look very sloppy and unpleasant, especially in 1st person. Tiles and events do not mesh well together. While tiles seem solid and consistently spaced between each other, event sprites "dance around" and "slide" in respect to them creating a fake, unpleasant effect.

for a bit more detailed discussion of the problem with examples>

So... anyone with more experience with MV3D to help out? I am kinda losing hope it can be fixed without digging into the plugin itself...

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Newbie, please be gentle
reworkMZ.png
To keep myself motivated to make the MZ SF tiles normal and usable modern tiles I like to make tiny maps and toggle between the options :3
Character selection in games be like
Special Tractor Operation! :kaojoy:
Current status screens for Shadows of the Earth: The Vrila'an Legend. Need to do something about the color scheme lol
Captura de pantalla (259).pngCaptura de pantalla (260).png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slotgacorunsurtoto