MVFU (Like Kung Fu.) - Nice conversion for VX/Ace assets

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, it finally converted that one file. But it still has the gray border around the grid. Strangely enough, it didn't do that for any of the other files.

Would large amounts of empty space make that grid appear?

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Well, it finally converted that one file. But it still has the gray border around the grid. Strangely enough, it didn't do that for any of the other files.

Would large amounts of empty space make that grid appear?

Hey GameFire, can you send me the file that you're trying to convert (via PM)? Maybe it's a file-format related issue, or something to do with sizing. Thanks!

I've just converted a whole series of Tilesets using this site; about 20 or so in all. All were converted perfectly, with no error messages or untoward delay. My first time (I've just discovered this...), so very pleased. Donation made. I've more to do later, but I've now got quite a few new MV Tilesets to play around with, first. My thumb is up.

Thanks so much for the donation :) I'm glad it has helped you! I really appreciate it!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No can do, it's paid-for DLC. If it helps, it's the E tile on the Pixel Myth Germania set.

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
No can do, it's paid-for DLC. If it helps, it's the E tile on the Pixel Myth Germania set.

Ah! That's a nice set, unfortunately I don't have it. I remember having a similar issue in early testing, but it was so long ago that I don't remember what caused it :(

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, it is. Everything else (events included) resized perfectly after refreshing/leaving the site for a few minutes, but the E tile still has the grid no matter what I do.

When you had that issue in testing, was it with files that have a large amount of empty space? Or was it just for files in general?

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
That definitely could've been related. It was something to do with the alpha channel not being combined properly - MVFU actually splits the image out into multiple different images, processes them independently in different ways (nearest neighbour scaling, smoothed bicubic scaling and waifu2x scaling) and then re-combines them in certain ways depending on the type of image (chara-set, tileset etc). However there was something that went wrong in certain tilesets that caused the alpha channels to be incorrectly handled -- I did fix the original issue but this could be some up-to-now unseen variant of the same issue.

Unfortunately without being able to reproduce the issue myself I won't be able to help. What about if you edit your tileset file to remove all the actual (licensed) art and draw squiggles on it instead or something? That'd at least help to rule out file-format issues, and potentially the issue of empty space?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just opened GIMP and set the canvas to 512x512 and drew some red squiggles on it.

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hm, weirdly that one seems to work fine in my test. :/

My guess is that points to a file format issue - perhaps the colourspace used in the tileset image. Maybe try opening it in GIMP, copying the content into a new 512x512 file and trying that one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Odd.

Perhaps it has to do with opacity, then? Since the shadows are slightly transparent?

I'll lower the opacity in GIMP and edit this post with that version.

EDIT:

Cats777

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I found out that a completely transparent sprite sheet would add black gridlines when converted(pic related). That's probably what's happening with the Germania tileset - it's too transparent.

Sprite-0001_MVFU.png

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Ah, excellent sleuthing Cats777. It's definitely a problem with how it merges the alpha channels then. I'll see if I have some time to look into it soon.

In the meantime my earlier offer still stands - if there's anyone who'd like to take over, send me a PM and we can discuss server setup/source code.

Cats777

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I did some more experiments. Forget what I said about transparency in my last post. The problem has nothing to do with it. It actually depends on the color! What I did was create a simple black box, which caused gridlines to appear. Then I created a simple white box, which also caused gridlines to appear. Then I created a simple grey box, which did NOT generate gridlines! Aha, the problem lies with images that only have pure white and/or pure black.

I gathered what I learned and added just a pixel of color on the bottom corner of the GermaniaE.png image, et voila! No more gridlines upon conversion! It's a crude workaround, but it works. You can always delete that pixel(now 4 pixels) later if you feel like it.

Soulnet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just used this for the first time. Very good indeed!

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thanks!

The offer is still open if anyone wants to take this project on (hosting it and improving it). Get in touch if you are interested and have server admin experience, and some PHP/MySQL/HTML knowledge.

drwho10

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was trying to resize one of my sprites (it is a ! sheet) and uploading the file works, but when I click download, the page just goes back to how it was before uploading anything and the download doesn't start. Is there something wrong with the site right now? Or can someone help me resize them?

edit: never mind, I tried with Chrome and it works!

Last edited:

MoloMowChow

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just a heads up.

I don't know if this is a temporary problem, or a problem on my end or a legitmate issue. But when running successful conversions and downloading them, the resulting image is just all black with some text "Error invalid request" and the url of waifu2x

There might've been some changes to waifu2x that borked the process.

Leanne

Nyan Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog,English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MoloMowChow I also had the same problem. I thought it was only me. :kaocry:

Uthgard

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
It looks like waifu is now using a captcha recognition system, possibly just to disable such external access as mvfu is using. Things don't bode well for procrastinators like me...

AlexFitz

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried uploading an A1 tile from Ancient Dungeons Base and the downloaded picture looked like this:

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

While we prepare the official trailer, enjoy this kind-of-second teaser! ^^
-Ele
New Episodes of RPG Shenanigans Uploaded to Youtube!

Episode 5 - Surprise Party!
Youtube Link:
Episode 6 - Killer Gin
Youtube Link:
Episode 7 - Gaia's Melody: Echoed Melodies
(Coming soon!)

Episode 8 - Clarent Saga: Tactics
(Coming soon!)

Episode 9 - Star Shift
(Coming soon!)
When the Map Generator throws in the assets in the most dumbest way possible - your path is blocked :D

I went to sleep at 3 am because of my anxiety. Set up my alarm for 7 am so that I could have sasagues for breakfast and do morning routine before lessons starts at 8 am. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep even after my lessons finished because I have to visit my grandparents today I was sad bc I was really tired. Thats when I realised. My lesson starts at 9 am. I could get one extra hour of sleep if I didnt forget it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WDRS