MVFU (Like Kung Fu.) - Nice conversion for VX/Ace assets

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Well, dang. Tried two character files (single and full). PNGs with transparency.
What pixel sizes were they? The list of compatible sizes is on the page. I'll be adding more as time goes on!

Chances are you are overloading the author's front end system.
Sounds like it might be possible... unfortunately, due to the reliance on CUDA for Waifu I can't do too much about it if that is the case :/ Maybe I could implement a more robust queueing system. That said, it's weird that I could still make conversions at seemingly the same time - unfortunately due to the timezone on those logs I don't even know if that error message is relevant to the user in this thread. Also, during testing I did try queueing up quite a few files and didn't have any problems (other than conversion taking quite a long time!).

I don't have the money to host a server with an nVidia GPU, and the implementations of Waifu that don't need CUDA are way too slow (5+ minutes to process a small png file).

Last edited by a moderator:

blazex4

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hmm, that doesn't sound like it's the problem. I've had a look on my server logs and the only concerning thing I can see is the following:

[01-Nov-2015 10:00:21 America/New_York] PHP Warning: file_get_contents(http://waifu2x.udp.jp/api): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable

However, I've done a few more conversions and they seem to be working OK on my end - the above error indicates that Waifu's API is completely down and not working. If that were the case, it wouldn't work for me...

I'll update to report this error to the user when it occurs though, that might help to diagnose this. :)

EDIT: another thought, perhaps you could send me the png file you're using in case I can replicate the issue that way?
Here are the tiles I'm trying to convert.

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Here are the tiles I'm trying to convert.
Could you give them a quick try one more time? I just did them and they finished processing very quickly (within 10 seconds each) -- I'll PM you links to the converted files in a minute anyway, but I want to know whether it's working for you for future reference :) (as it may be a bug that needs fixing)

EDIT: Also, found another weird bug that I'll need to look into when I get a chance. It seems to do something extra-weird with two those files you just sent!

It adds black bordering that is something I've not seen it do before! It's something to do with how it cleans up tile edges - not sure why it's doing that on these sheets and none of the others I've tested though...

EDIT 2: Aha! Figured out why it's doing that at least :) The DS tilesets use indexed (palette) colour for their pngs, so the source image needs converting to true colour before the process begins. That's something I can easily fix when I finish work today.

blazex4

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not sure if it makes a difference but these are from the DS+ pack for VX Ace, I don't know if it matters that it's the official one and not a fan made one.

I also can't convert them, I'll try another one.

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I also can't convert them, I'll try another one.
Are you still having the same issue (never getting past the processing stage)? Seems like it probably isn't a Waifu server issue, and there's something else at play here. Perhaps give it a try with a different browser, though I think without a specific javascript error it's unlikely that that's the problem...

blazex4

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Are you still having the same issue (never getting past the processing stage)? Seems like it probably isn't a Waifu server issue, and there's something else at play here. Perhaps give it a try with a different browser, though I think without a specific javascript error it's unlikely that that's the problem...
I tried it with SRWare Iron and it works although I got black boxes that you showed.

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I tried it with SRWare Iron and it works although I got black boxes that you showed.
Aha, thanks. That's an issue I should be able to fix soon :) Sounds like I need better queueing for Waifu. I'll have a think about the best way to do that - if there's a lot of demand at any one time I may have to add files to queue, and run one of the conversions every 3 minutes (with an email-back system to let the user know when they've been converted).

For now though the focus is on fixing formatting issues like the black boxes one above!

Tommy Gun

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
What pixel sizes were they? The list of compatible sizes is on the page. I'll be adding more as time goes on!
Oh, right, they were Mack characters--I didn't even think about that. It would be cool if you could have your software automatically divide the sheet (user just tells it it's a full character sheet, tile sheet, etc.). I have no idea if that's possible, but it would be useful!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@ultima

Store resource packs are not allowed to be posted, including edits. Please delete that DS tileset.

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thanks, can you PM me the original tileset so I can look into it?

Oh, right, they were Mack characters--I didn't even think about that. It would be cool if you could have your software automatically divide the sheet (user just tells it it's a full character sheet, tile sheet, etc.). I have no idea if that's possible, but it would be useful!
Yup, this is a planned feature :)

blazex4

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Works great now, thanks so much.

darkkitten

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
You should add some more Sheet sizes, I have some characters made in the Character tool from Ace, and the sheet is 96x128px

I have other character sheets that are around 288x256px as well..

Otherwise great tool!

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
You should add some more Sheet sizes, I have some characters made in the Character tool from Ace, and the sheet is 96x128px

I have other character sheets that are around 288x256px as well..

Otherwise great tool!
Could you PM me a couple of example sheets? :) If I have examples I can add support!

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Nuts.

I had been doing it the hard way this whole time xD

EDIT: Any chance of adding in support for facesets?

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yup, my aim is to have at least some support for all RMMV image types by next week. :)

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I'm getting an incompatible file type error for some monster character sheets I tried converting.  I guess this only works if the files size is the original VXAce specifications/size?   I tried putting in something like this (see attached).  This file normally has a $ in front of it, but I even took that out and no luck. 

EnemiesGoblinShaman.png

Ultima2876

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yup, currently it only works with files that are of VX/Ace sizes - this is something I plan to update later :)

For that sheet, you could perhaps put it onto a VX/Ace sized sheet (but with the rest of the characters in that sheet as blanks), if you know what I mean. So the file would be 384x256 pixels, but would have just the one character in the top left corner (and the rest just blank).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I FINALLY DID IT! 5 years making my very first game and I just officially released it on STEAM..... OMG..... I can say I finished a game! The feelings!!!!!
Stream will be live shortly! I am going to be playing some Among Us! Feel free to drop by!
Ami
tv program always get the ratings (it's the reason why drama series has 1000+ episode),also full and nonsense of censorship (weird blur, a scene getting cut because the unconvenient viewer,but it unconvenient to me either. you never see what the original is)

i know the reason is to take cover the viewer from the negative thing,but i just laughing and mocking of them that they're always suck :guffaw:
Star Chart Idea - Just something I am working on.
My sister learned spanish the old fashioned way and saw my way of conjugating. I don't use the formal method and just wing it. I thought her heart might explode. Apparently, different words use different endings. Weird part is even though I never learned the difference, I still can tell when the endings "look wrong".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TastyBeer