MVFU (Like Kung Fu.) - Nice conversion for VX/Ace assets

Discussion in 'General Resources' started by Ultima2876, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Ultima2876

Ultima2876 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Not a bad idea ;) But it wouldn't work. MVFU intelligently resizes based on the image size - so for example, it knows that a certain pixel size with be a VX Ace character set - that way, it knows roughly where the sprite edges will be, what the best type of resizing algorithm will be to do a certain part of the algorithm etc.

So, although you can 'trick' MVFU into accepting your images, results will be unpredictable; in all likelihood it basically won't work very well (especially for tilesets - these may be laid out drastically differently to what it's expecting so things are very very likely to get weird!).

I am adding support for new image types over time though, so the more 'unsupported' image type reports I get, the more support it will get over time. My plan is eventually to have it supporting basically everything you can throw at it... but it does take time to work out the best algorithm tweaks for each and every image type!

2. zharth

zharth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    To support what Ultima2876 says, I tried "tricking" the tool into taking some of the non-standard size character sheets in the VX Ace RTP. They were upgraded, but I noticed some faint criss-crossing lines going through the characters at what would have been the borders between the characters in a sheet of the supported size. Obviously, this is not the optimum result, so use that method at your own discretion.

Above all, before even support for faces and iconsets and whatnot, I would love to see this tool be able to handle single and multiple character sheets of the sizes that occur in the original VX Ace RTP, so I can finish upgrading those as a basis for use in MV. For example, there are a few with characters that are two tiles tall (!Crystal, !Door3, !Other2, and !Other3), one with characters that take up 1.5 times the space of normal characters (Riding), and a few single character sheets with larger characters of unusual sizes (!$Gate1 and !$Gate2 are 288x256, $BigMonster1 is 192x256, and $BigMonster2 is 240x320).

Once again, I am very grateful for your work on this tool, which has singlehandedly salvaged MV in my eyes. I am patiently and enthusiastically awaiting any and all updates you make to it in the future! :)

3. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    This makes sense and is definitely planned. It actually wouldn't be a huge deal to support character sheets of many sizes; the algorithm is already written to allow for varied sizes, I just need to do a lot of testing :) Perhaps this weekend!

Also thanks for the kind words at the end, that means a lot to me!

4. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    Hey all!

Updated the site today :)

With the update comes support for Character sets with '!' and '$' in the name ('!' for character sets that are of different sizes to the norm but contain 4x2 character 'blocks' in them, '$' for character sets that contain a single character 'block' of any size - check out the original VX/Ace RTP assets for clarification). 'Riding' still isn't supported yet - might have time to add that this weekend.

It also adds support for Face sets from VX/Ace (384x192 pixels), and fixes a couple of bugs :)

Link is here for reference: http://www.kickbackgames.com/mvfu

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2015
    zharth, LTN Games and jonthefox like this.
  5. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

Awesome, thanks!  Also I was wondering, does this support tilesets yet?  Is that something in the works for the future?

Ultima2876 likes this.
  6. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    It supports tilesets of certain sizes. Have you tried some that didn't work? If so, send me a PM so I can check out what's going wrong :)

FYI, the list of supported stuff is on the page and is as follows:

• VX/Ace Character Sheet (384x256)
    •  $/! Special Character Sheet (Any)
    •  VX/Ace Face Set (384x192)
    •  VX/Ace Tileset A1/A2 (512x384)
    •  VX/Ace Tileset A3 (512x256)
    •  VX/Ace Tileset A4 (512x480)
    •  VX/Ace Tileset A5 (256x512)
    •  VX/Ace Tileset B/C/D/E (512x512)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2015
    Parallax Panda and jonthefox like this.
  7. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was just thinking about what the best way to resize some Ace and XP resources would be and then I find this, without even searching. Looks very promising and I hope you keep polish the tool and it's support until it's as good as it gets! BD

Ultima2876 likes this.
  8. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the support! I'll be adding support for XP resources soon!

Parallax Panda likes this.
  9. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    Updated to add icon set support! (both VX and VX ace sheet sizes).

Note that icons are a weird one as they do not follow the same resizing rules as other sets (i.e MV uses 32x32 icons instead of the expected upscale of 1.5x, so it's actually a far more awkward 1.333333333x scale...). They look pretty decent, considering this, but the results aren't quite as good as character or tile sets have been. I'll probably work on some icon set specific tweaks in future, but that is a very low priority as I think the icons are something that already look pretty good in MV ;)

Knightmare likes this.
  10. Liak

Liak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Thank you for adding icon support! :) I was waiting for that one.

Ultima2876 likes this.
  11. The Infamous Bon Bon

The Infamous Bon Bon Executive Geek Member

First Language:
    English
    I did some conversions last night and I must say I'm impressed.

Ultima2876 likes this.
  12. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    Thanks guys!

I'd just like to say that today we passed 3000 successful conversions :) This site has been far more well received than I could have imagined when I first made it. The fact that it's getting so much use inspires me to keep updating and improving it!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2015
  13. darkkitten

darkkitten Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Coming along nicely :)  Waiting for DS+ DLC Sizes :)

14. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    Added support for the DS+ character sheets today. Will look into tilesets at the weekend!

Another little feature I added support for is 'stylizing' MV sprites. One of the issues I've had with using MVFU'd VX images mixed with MV 'RTP' images is that the MV ones are a bit too sharp and stand out next to resized images -- so now, you can run some MV images (currently standard character sheets, facesets and all RTP tilesets) through MVFU and it'll downscale and process them. They'll end up the same size - 48x48 for a standard character/tile, but will have the 'softer' look that other assets resized through MVFU have (so will look more consistent with the other images). It's a bit of an 'outside the box' thing, but some may find it useful!

Unfortunately it looks as though XP resources use a different layout/format which I'm unfamiliar with, so I'm probably going to put XP/2003/2000 assets on the backburner for now. They won't be nearly as commonly used as VX resources, so I think prioritizing VX/Ace/DLC resources is the best thing to do for now.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2015
    The Infamous Bon Bon likes this.
  15. Jaar

Jaar Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi! I've been using your converter on a bunch of different resources, and for the most part it works really well! It works best on tile sets- they look wonderful when finished! I am really impressed with how well this program works!

I am having some problems with converting charsets, though. Whenever I put one through, it comes out with a lot of artifacts along the edges and lines dividing the sprite up into sections. I've attached an example if you'd like to see what I mean, along with the original. Is this a bug or just an expected issue because of the way the converter works? If it's the later, do you have any tips to make the sprites turn out better?

Thanks so much for your hard work on this! I spent so much time making resources for a project in VXAce- This program is an absolute life saver for porting it over to MV!

Dancing With Gods Party_MVFU.png

Dancing With Gods Party.png

16. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    Hey there :) Thanks for the kind words!

The reason for those lines is because your character sprites aren't the size it's currently expecting for a character set. Because your image is 384x384, it's thinking it's an icon set and applying the icon set algorithm to your characters... initially the tool was designed specifically to cater to VX/Ace RTP assets so using the pixel sizes to make things easy worked quite well, but funny cases like this are becoming more common now that people are using it for different things.

However, a solution is in the works :) I'm adding a 'Force Character Set' option that will solve issues like this, and allow you to convert character sheets of any size, regardless of whether they share a sheet size with some other image type. That feature is almost done and should be ready to go live this weekend - I will PM you when it's up!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2015
    Jaar and The Infamous Bon Bon like this.
  17. Jaar

Jaar Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Aaaahhh okay, that makes sense! I didn't even consider that my sprites weren't the size of regular VX charsets. Chalk that up to operator error lol!  

Looking forward to the new update! Honestly I think this converter would be totally fine as-is, the fact your updating it so frequently is just icing on the cake!

18. Obsidian

Obsidian Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    The website is finally letting me back on without using a proxy, but half of the time clicking the "download" button only deletes the file from the server, and does not download it. I have to manually press "open link in new tab" to ensure that the file downloads. There are hundreds and hundreds of files, so doing this is taking a while. 

Any chance for a feature where all files, once completed, are zipped up to download all at once? Or some fix to the "download" button not downloading? Thanks again. 

Ultima2876 likes this.
  19. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    Ah, what browser/OS are you using?

20. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    I've now updated the site with a few bugfixes, plus the 'Force Character Sets' feature. If you're using character sets of a nonstandard size, check that box (making sure all of your uploads are indeed character sets!) and it should resize them appropriately :)

Give it a try: http://kickbackgames.com/mvfu

Thanks everyone!

Next up: more image types, and possibly downloading all files at once as a zip file :) Stay tuned!

The Infamous Bon Bon likes this.