MVFU (Like Kung Fu.) - Nice conversion for VX/Ace assets

Discussion in 'General Resources' started by Ultima2876, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Jaar

Jaar Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just tried it out, works wonderfully! The sprites are looking much better than they were before! I've attached an example if anyone wants to check it out.

Great job, thanks for your work on this! I'm sure it'll be useful for a whole lot of people!

post-13483-0-31630400-1448514268_MVFU.png

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2015
    Ultima2876 likes this.
  2. Mega Man Volnutt

Mega Man Volnutt Mega Man Volnutt Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I am not picky. Many people say it looks weird. I think this is alright. It's the best way to convert files.  It's at least better than my l33t Paint.net skills.

3. redbizon

redbizon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I used MVFU to resize the first 16 XP characters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's a screenshot of them next to the MV RTP characters:

[​IMG]

They look a little blurry around the edges, but overall pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2015
    Ultima2876 likes this.
  4. Ultima2876

Ultima2876 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Here's a screenshot of them next to the MV RTP characters:

[​IMG]

They look a little blurry around the edges, but overall pretty good.
    If you want to use XP chars with MV tilesets, you can run the MV tilesets through. It'll do 'stylizing', where it runs a process to make them look a bit more cohesive -- note that if you do this the tiles WILL look softer (as that's exactly what it's designed to do), but it'll help give a more cohesive feel which imho is more important. This also works for MV characters, but I imagine the vastly different proportions will be more of a problem there!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2015
  5. HasuHasi

HasuHasi Learning every day Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi

I tried to convert a few ressources with MVFU, but I keep getting the same error message Error: Could not process image (unsupported size?). I checked the file dimensions, they are exactly as you posted in Currently compatible with: Am I doing something wrong, or is it not working at the moment?

Thanks for your help!

6. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    Hello!

It should be working. Can you PM me with a link to the image you are trying to convert?

Thanks!

7. HasuHasi

HasuHasi Learning every day Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I just tried it again and now it worked *yay*. I used the standard VX Ace tilesets. Tried a bunch of them and none worked :/ but now it does =)

8. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    Strange. I hate bugs that magically "fix" themselves... :I but glad it's working for you now!

9. Dragonz

Dragonz Warper Member

First Language:
    French
    Hello people!
    I am French and I have a little of difficulty with English. If the solution was previously found want, please, me excused.

Thus, I have the same problem as Camilla posted in page 2, that is with the images having of the transparency.

For example :

Original

[​IMG]
    MVFU

[​IMG]
    Thank you for your answer.

10. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    This issue should have been solved before, but since it is still happening for you I believe the bug may have reappeared.

I will try to look at this at the weekend for you.

Thanks!

Nysight likes this.
  11. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    MVFU

[​IMG]
    Thank you for your answer.

I've now updated to fix this issue. It was quite complicated so I couldn't get it done at the weekend :) There's also a handful of other (subtle) bugfixes included in the latest update too.

Happy MVFU'ing!

12. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

Hey Ultima! This has been working so great, thanks again.  I did get an error when I tried to convert the TimeFantasy2k3 Tiles.   I'm guessing this is because it's an older type of tileset...any chance you could add this to the list of formats it recognizes?  Thanks so much. :)

Ultima2876 likes this.
  13. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    Hey!

I will have a look into it as soon as I can get around to it :) with it being the holiday season I can't promise that it will be soon, but I will definitely get there!

jonthefox likes this.
  14. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Cool resource. I'm doing it by hand in photo plus (PS clone) and the faces and tiles look quite decent! I ended up trying to make new generator parts to replicate what I had in vx ace for the sprites.

15. jknightandkarr

jknightandkarr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I love this application!! I used it on my High Fantasy Fantasy Resource stuff I bought, the tilesets anyway, and they look GREAT, and now I can use them in MV! Thanks!

Joe

16. SentaiBrad

SentaiBrad Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I REALLY want to move over to RPG Maker MV almost in sheer love of outputting for multiple devices (there are a lot of features I am loving) and this tool has saved me from being completely dejected. I bought a lot of the Asset Packs through Steam and this helps me feel like my purchases (I bough MV a few hours before this post and Ace resources a day before the MV purchase...) are not completely wasted. For a few hours I just... talked my self back in to using Ace, not because it is bad but there are a few key features (Porting, Java) that are super important. I will need to wait to replicate a lot of scripts but this is such a huge step at my point in development and scripts aren't a deal breaker because 85% of them aren't implemented. Though... I am sad that my Luna Engine purchase is relegated only to Ace. I will be interested to see if we can get an upgrade option to these resources. Say you own Luna Engine, instead of paying $30 or more ($30 is default pricing) you can upgrade for like... $10 or something. If it is a die hard resource then I won't care in the long run (I am just poor) but it would be cool.

Long story short... holy CRAP you saved me from being dejected from MV in the case of porting over. It would be cool if this was in an application form instead of web form. I know it offers a lot more flexibility but a proper "add all" for batch converting and immediate download to the location it was pulled from would be awesome. Thank you very much Ultima.

Edit: less of a big deal but I use DownThemAll for when I download a lot of files to one location, so scripts, music, tilesets etc. When I use it here it doesn't name things properly. The default way to download converted tilesets names just fine for example, "DSPlus_TileA1_MVFU.png." The same resource converted comes up as "download.php.html." I am unsure if you can even fix this and it still works just fine without using something like DTA but it makes converting a tad faster when you have a lot of tilesets.

Edit 2: Ha, I am an idiot. I CAN ctrl + click. This speeds things up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2016
  17. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the support! Glad it's helpful :)

Cool :) I've been considering doing the same thing myself, converting up some generator sprites (or adding support to do so) and then increasing the variety of characters I can create.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback :) I have got a 'download all' button planned, but I guess in the meantime using a program like DownThemAll works fine - I don't think there's a way I can fix the file naming problem with that, so it makes sense to focus on getting the 'download all' button added as soon as I can. Also as another tip, the site supports drag n drop so if you want you can drag a bunch of files on to queue them for converting.

18. SentaiBrad

First Language:
    English
    Yes, a download all button would be amazing, DTA isn't trying to download the image files but an html page of the php download button......... what? But yea, in just characters alone I have 364 converts that I need to do. xD Tilesets went mostly smooth; I did need to edit a few DS tiles in Photoshop before the conversion. They have a green transparency layer that was invisible to the windows image preview. After the convert the green showed up in the preview, MV and if I imported the unconverted image in to Photoshop the green layer showed up. So I just magic wanded the tileset pre conversion (post conversion left green artifacts in places) then it converted cleanly. Other than that the only other issue I was able to get around was the converter not handeling spaces. "World 1.png" tileset came out as "World" with no extension, but "World_1.png" converted with the name. So I just used a program called Métamorphose to replace spaces with _ for everything. Even with this it still saved me potential days of work, now I just need to get them to look right in places because some Ace "things" don't transfer over correctly.

Again, thank you.

19. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the bug report regarding spaces, I'll get this fixed up (hopefully this weekend).

To everyone: I got a warning email from my site host today regarding CPU usage and cron jobs... essentially, they don't like me running MVFU on their hosting plan! I'm allowed to run it at one job every... 15 minutes. *facepalm* - it's been running at 1 job per 10 seconds so far, so obviously this means the queue will be insanely slow now. I'll be moving it over to DigitalOcean at the weekend though, then I can set it back to the rate it was before :)

Thanks for your patience!

The Infamous Bon Bon likes this.
  20. SentaiBrad

First Language:
    English
    Oh... this explains A LOT. If you can clear them by IP you should clear my 79 entries. The page has since refreshed and I won't even have a way to download the images back. If not, 79 x 15 min will be... crap, 19.75 hours.