MVFU (Like Kung Fu.) - Nice conversion for VX/Ace assets

Discussion in 'General Resources' started by Ultima2876, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Ultima2876

Ultima2876 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

Hey!

It's something I've looked into briefly. One of the problems is that I'm very unfamiliar with how the tiles are laid out - with VX/Ace the tiles are laid out in a very specific way which means I can use some tricks to improve the upscaling, but unfortunately due to my unfamiliarity with the format of XP's tilesets I can't do the same there. If you could point me to some resources to explain the format (i.e how the autotiles are laid out), or if anyone could, I could look at adding support soon //rmwforums.s3.amazonaws.com/emoticons/default_smile.gif

Also, I don't own RPG Maker XP... so I don't actually even have access to any example tilesets to test with!

2. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Ultima2876

I see. Well, autotiles is not actually a part of the tilesets in RMXP, they are separate files in a different folder. So maybe it would be easier to just start by adding support for normal RMXP tilesets and look into the autotiles later? 
    As for the RMXP tilesets. Just like VXace it consists of 32x32 tiles, but there is no limit for the height (as long as you can divide it by 32). The width however needs to be 256 pixels. And that's it!

I can try to give a brief explanation on RMXP's autotiles as well, although I think you should download the free trial here: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/free-trials/trial-rpg-maker-xp That way you can experiment with the actual tilesets and check out how the auto tiles look as well!  :thumbsup-left: ;)

But the main difference between RMMV and RMXP autotiles should be...

* XP's autotiles are not part of the tilesets, nor are they grouped together on a separate tilesheet. Every tile is a individual file!
    * XP's autotiles can have more than 3 frames when animated. In the RTP the non static autotiles have 4 frames, but I don't think there is an actual limit it you were to edit.
    * XP's autotiles layout is 3x4 (3 tiles width, 4 tiles height). So, autotiles with 4 animations would be 12x4 (H384, W128 pixels)

RMXP's RTP do have a diffeerent style compared to the later makers. It's a sharper more pixelated style which when resized might actually turn out quite nice.. I think.
    I hope you manage to add support for it in the future!  :)

3. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    I was looking for a program that could resize better than waifu (which is good for some styles but not for everything) and would work well with Ancient Dungeons Set.

MVFU works like a charm and I'm really happy with the results. Haven't found a better method for resizing Ancient Dungeons tiles.

4. Mega Man Volnutt

Mega Man Volnutt Mega Man Volnutt Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    MVFU shut down. Well, now that it shut down I am gonna have to explain how to do it manually.

1. Get your  VX/2K/XP tileset

2. Open up a similar tileset to the one you just got (Some creators are nice enough to label their files. Such as Home_A2) in Paint.net

3. Copypaste your VX/2K/XP tileset

4. Resize it to the same size as the MV made tileset.

5. Enjoy. May be choppy.

5. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

er, why did it shut down? :(    i'm so sad about this, was really loving it.  

6. SentaiBrad

SentaiBrad Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    It's not? The site is loading just fine for me. You could more easily use Waifux2 then downscale a bit. Looks better then Photoshop's scaling, and nearest neighbor breaks some things.

7. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, it should definitely be up and working!  :D

8. SentaiBrad

SentaiBrad Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Yea I have no clue where Minun got that information from. >.>

9. bishiba

bishiba Degenerate Member

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey!

I am trying to convert the VXace Iconset.

The definition is as 384x936. But I just keep getting an error message.

And I also just tried it with a face.png, and it does not work either...

Any Idea what is up with that? :)

Best regards,

Bishiba

10. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English

You're absolutely right, something's going wrong and it's not currently processing any files properly. Having had a quick look, it looks like waifu2x is down :(  (http://waifu2x.udp.jp/) -- there is an alternative site but its API is a lot more complicated. I may have time to implement it at the weekend.

I'll post back here when it's working again.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
  11. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys,

It's back! The problem is, Waifu2x went down because it was getting overloaded. This might be a problem again in the future, so I may write up something to detect when it's down and report it to the user rather than just looking like MVFU is dead itself :)

Anyway, go ahead and get MVFUing!

12. ItsMikuru

ItsMikuru Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I suppose it's not working again? (Or I am doing something wrong).

I'm trying to convert an VX Ace character sheet but keep getting  Error: Could not process image (unsupported size?)

It's straight from the Character Creator, so it's the right pixel size and a png.

13. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Please attach the file here, then we can check if the image itself is OK.

14. ItsMikuru

ItsMikuru Warper Member

First Language:
    English

Certainly.

I also tried a non edited one, with the same thing.

Kerian_sprites.png

People1.png

15. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    Thanks, it seems as if waifu2x regularly goes down now. The creator said that as costs have increased, it will go down to keep costs at a certain level; essentially this means MVFU could be up or down at the mercy of waifu2x... I don't really have the time to do much about it right now, and I certainly don't have the cash to host a waifu'ing server myself that will handle it with any decent level of speed :(  Unfortunately that means the best solution for now is for me to ping waifu and report when it is down on the page (and remove the upload button when this is the case), which I will add as a feature this weekend.

In future, I plan to switch over to an alternative waifu host that might be slightly slower but has better uptime (and a more complicated API). However, in the meantime the proposed solution is the best I can do :(  Sorry everyone!

In other news, the database records over 10000 conversions since MVFU started. I sure didn't expect it to be so popular, I'm honoured! :)

EDIT: Ok, I didn't check the site. Looks like it's been updated; we might actually be hitting a different issue here. Will look into it at the weekend. 

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2016
  16. West_Winds

West_Winds Fun guy Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was trying to use this and some of my file were finishing fine but when I clicked download they would dissapear but no download would begin. I'm using windows seven and Chrome

17. Acnolowgia

Acnolowgia Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey guys, I was just wondering if there was any update on when support for converting battlers might be available? I was just looking on the thread and it seems the last post was a while back. 

18. Sleepy Kitten Games

Sleepy Kitten Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi, I just tried to convert some tiles that are VXA formatted, and everything is given the error "Could not process image (unsupported size?)". The only thing that didn't throw this error was one file, and when it was sized up it put a gray border along the grid.

The file I'm trying to convert is an A1 tile, and it is 512x384.

The weird thing is, I used this a while back to convert some other VXA formatted tiles, and it worked perfectly.

EDIT: Nevermind, It's working now. Still confused as to why it wasn't working for a bit there. But at least it's working now.

EDIT2: And now it's back to not converting something that's sized properly, same error.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  19. Ultima2876

First Language:
    English
    Weird, I got an email from another user with similar issues. Something must be up with the server.

If I were to open source this, would someone want to host it and take it over? I don't have the time to maintain it or improve it in the way I'd like to.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  20. Dad3353

Dad3353 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've just converted a whole series of Tilesets using this site; about 20 or so in all. All were converted perfectly, with no error messages or untoward delay. My first time (I've just discovered this...), so very pleased. Donation made. I've more to do later, but I've now got quite a few new MV Tilesets to play around with, first. My thumb is up.[​IMG]