My 3 Year Project Is Corrupted...

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by Neo_Kum0rius_6000, Jan 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Where is your project saved? Do you have it in a dropbox, live, onedrive, steam, etc folder where it does an automatic sync to an online repository? If you do, that is very likely the cause of the corruption and you should move it before you do anything else. Don't put it in My Documents or any other windows user folder either, because even though those should be for YOUR stuff and not touched by microsoft, updates DO meddle with them.

2. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    error while trying to decrypt the file with one of GubiD's tool.
    nuevo-1.jpg

BUT!
    I think I can go oldschool MacGyver on it, and pry it open with a paperclip:
    MAYBE (*MAYBE*. I'm appealing to the mods and more experienced programmers here) it could be possible to use Ruby proper to override that.
    basically, read the file line by line and manually fill in what's missing, if anything.
    by the size of it, it seems the contents are there, just, unable to be read (my guess is, the header is broken)
    ..... no promises, tho, because I never tried this and I have no idea what I'm doing by now.

3. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    The problem with partial recovery is that even if you recover the database, you will get broken database files instead. By that I mean, even if you can open it in the editor and replace all the default scripts to the proper one, because the data files are corrupted in some way, you won't be able to play the game.

This happened to me just last week and it's a good thing I kept dropbox backups. But it's why it's better to actually fix it proper somehow.

Oddball likes this.
  4. Neo_Kum0rius_6000

Neo_Kum0rius_6000 Not Your Ordinary Guy! Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    No but it was an update that screwed me over...
    My pc decided to be a smart ass and update anyways
    even though I put it in sleep...

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    if it was a windows update, you could try rolling it back, if you have system restore enabled.

copy the project to another location first, in case it makes it worse.

Then move it out of any windows-created folders.

Best place for saving projects, imo, is in a new folder you create in the root directory of one of your hard drives. At least then you know Windows & syncing services are not going to touch it.

6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Windows update also runs when it sees the computer is in sleep. See, they wait until you are not using it, and sleep mode is a perfect time for that. Basically, to prevent it from happening again, close out of RPGMaker whenever you are done working on it on the computer. That way you don't have this occur again.

7. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    no luck on the recovery, so far.

here's what I have.
    -make a new project, somewhere safe.
    -extract the attached file on that folder and overwrite.
    -copy the lot of maps over from your project, map001 to 199, and overwrite
    -copy the graphics, audio and other resources (except the data folder) over.
    -open the new project and save.

the map events will still refer to characters and animation sprites as you have them in the original, so don't modify any event until you have checked all the resources in their respective folders.
    you'll still have to remake the tilesets within the database, but I believe the maps themselves will retain the reference to the lost tilesets, just remember to cancel out of the map properties window if you're checking it, so it doesn't save to default.

I don't believe the update had anything to do with the corruption. It looks like it failed to compile during a test play.
    the database files and some maps have all the same modification time, but the project file has a much later time (15+ minutes)
    which is odd, because I suffered a similar crash, but the project file saved first and then the computer failed to save the database.

Attached Files:

• fix.zip
      File size:
      8.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  8. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm sorry this happened to you. It always makes me sad when I read this happens to people.
    But how come it didn't occur to you to make a backup of your project in these 3 years?! By the looks of it you may still be able to recover something which is a relief but what'd have happened if your hard disk drive malfunctioned or broke or whatever in the real world and lost everything in it? When you think about it the price to pay was cheap.

Now, go backup!

9. VeryXInh

VeryXInh Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Japanese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    You should bring your computer to a Computer Center and have they try to recover your game for you.
    Don't download/copy/paste/ doing anything or you may ruin your last chance to recover this game.

10. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    the files failed to save, so even if they manage to recover low-level data, it'll still be corrupted, as well as encrypted, and unable to be decrypted because of the corruption.

update:
    I managed to recover Actor, Class, and Skill data.
    I wanted to restore the maps names to make them easier to identify, but I couldn't.... you'll have to focus on restoring the tilesets first, and then scrub the maps manually.

looks like the program crashed half way during compilation of the skills or the items tab.
    nuevo-1.jpg

drop the zip contents on top of the previous fix and overwrite.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  11. Neo_Kum0rius_6000

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Wow your doing so well, thanks for taking your time to do this for me...
    Will there be any way to restore the scripts? The game is very script heavy...

12. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    judging by the size of the file, it looks like the scripts themselves are there (and, most of the rest of the content), but can't be decrypted.
    I had the idea of using the Ruby environment to try and reverse the decryption without some checks that were causing the process to fail, but the actual routine is encrypted into a dll, and I don't have C++.
    even if I could decompile the dll, I'd be unable to recompile it, or even run it properly.

if some other programmer understands what I'm trying to do, and they have the tools, maybe they can give it a try.
    if that works, it shouldn't be difficult to use it to recover the rest of the files. I just have no way of testing it.

13. Neo_Kum0rius_6000

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I really hope someone can help... This game was supposed to be my big debut, I've skipped out on so many things
    just to work on the game. This isn't your normal RPG maker game this game was huge....

14. artoni

artoni Writer, Editor Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's been said a bunch of times already, but I really hope you're learning from this to back up your files. I've been watching this and while I'm ecstatic for you that so much has been recovered, you may need to prepare yourself to redo a lot.

15. Gamingstar

Gamingstar Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Man, that sucks. I wish there was some way I could help, but I'm not too good with decryption or anything like that.

16. Neo_Kum0rius_6000

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Trust me I'am prepared I just wan't the game to be back to an amount were the scripts are accessible.
    And trust me I WILL NEVER FORGET TO MAKE BACKUPS!

Vance Raehart likes this.
  17. SimProse

SimProse Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yep. I remember an old IT friend and teacher of mine had a saying that he relayed to everyone he taught: "The only files you shouldn't back up are the ones you don't mind losing forever."