RMMV My Cat

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Kaliyo, Mar 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Kaliyo

Kaliyo Warper Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

My Cat
    is a small game about the relationship between a human and his cat. With around 20-30 minutes of playtime it's rather short, it's actually more of a visual experience than a game but I hope you like it nonetheless. The story itself is mostly fictitious but there are some aspects based on personal experiences. I mainly created this game for myself.

Controls are minimal, you'll move through your Appartement and interact with objects as the story unfolds. The whole game only takes place on one map, created with yanfly doodads, but as time progresses, the map will change to represent that.

Download: https://arvus.itch.io/my-cat

Screenie2.png Screenie3.png

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  2. Hibarist

Hibarist Music Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You had me crying at the end and I went running to hug my 2 cats.

It did get quite repetitive but besides that I really enjoyed the game, beautiful art and music.
    Oh and I'm really sorry for your loss, lots of loveā™„

Kaliyo likes this.
  3. Tw0Face

Tw0Face Chief Executive Officer Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Wow, 366 MB is pretty huge for a game that only takes 30 minutes to complete and takes place on one single map. Extracting the game took me a while, and I'm fairly sure not all the data inside the folder is really necessary to play the game.

Well, the game itself is pretty cute, but the only gameplay element is to click things that repeat themselves day by day. I know that the main person appears to follow their daily routine but it's kinda boring to do the same things over and over again. Every day you have to feed the cat, make a lunch packet, take a bath, go to bed, paint, go to work, use your washing machine and so on; just by clicking on the objects again and again. However, this system appears to not work properly. For example, I hated cleaning the cat's toilet because I had to spam "E" multiple times (each time I was asked to clean it) until something happened. Sometimes (for example, when I went to the fridge or when I had to go to bed) no interaction symbol was displayed at first and again I had to spam "E" repeatedly, until finally the interaction symbol showed up and therefore something happened.

I wanted to add a few more positive things about the story at the end. The story was really promising and I was curious to see what will happen in the end. Unfortunately I couldn't finish the game. An event prevented me from leaving the bedroom causing me to no longer being able to move in any direction. So unfortunately, because there wasn't an option to load or save the game, I had to quit the game without experiencing its end.

Greetings,
    Tw0Face

Kaliyo likes this.
  4. Kaliyo

Kaliyo Warper Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey @Tw0Face

Thanks for the bug report, that's very unlucky. I imagine the bug only appears when you try to leave the room in a specific position. I'll get it fixed.

And yeah, there are a few unused RTP files in the folder, I should have removed them but wanted to get the game done asap because it was quite straining for me to create, emotional wise.

For the cat toilet you have to interact with it and then with the toilet, you probably moved in the space between.

Thanks for the feedback. :D

@Hibarist I'm glad you enjoyed it. I tried to use repetition as plot device, the pet being the "exception" in the first half of the game and then part of the routine in the second half.

And thanks.

Hibarist likes this.
  5. VeryXInh

VeryXInh Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Japanese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    There aren't much screenshots but i like it. You have talent =D

Kaliyo likes this.
  6. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    That is so noble of you. I thought doing the same with Mommy Cat. I am all heart with you and hope all the positivity that cat brought to you carries on to everyone around you.

7. Rabbitheart

Rabbitheart Villager Member

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Cute and emotional game. It has a little to do, but after I read other comments already knew it, so I just played to the story.

It was sometimes a little hard to say where you have to go to do things. When I was feeding the cat first time the "Click E" thing came before I was near enough the cat bowl, so I tried to click near fridge which of course did not work. I also have problem to clean cat's toilet, because I didn't get that you have to use toilet after that. Maybe some arrow "click there" would be helpful, when you are doing something for the first time?

There were some bugs after the cat was sick. When doing your morning routines, you didn't need to go bath if you did all the other tasks first. Also, if you have done everything else expect changes new sheets to bed, the game allowed you go to the work immediately after you got the new sheet from washing machine. So to test what happens I went to work with the clean sheets. In the evening the sheets disappeared when I cleaned the cat's toilet, but I couldn't use the washing machine. When I finally took the (now invisible) sheets to bed, I could use the washing machine again.

But like I said, cute, interesting and emotional game. I liked how the colors changed when the cat got more sick.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  8. Ohhaykfrankk

Ohhaykfrankk Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    TBH, I hated this. It was too sad for me, I cried. But as a player standpoint, it was well created. I like the tasks, and the changes as days/years go on. It took me a minute to realize that cleaning the cat toilet was to also go to the regular toilet. Very well created.

9. Chazareth

Chazareth Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This was a very touching game, great music and mood. The tasks do get repetitive near the end, so it almost makes me think the game is better off as a long cutscene, rather than having the player do the same things so many times. But I think the narrative speaks to anyone, not just people who have cats, so major points there.