My Face Generator

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by chungsie, Jan 15, 2019.

1. chungsie

chungsie Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So I am still in very early development stages.
    View attachment 107170
    So far this is all the GUI is, I want to improve upon it today. But so far there are over 30 hair pieces, 5 head shapes, about a dozen ear pieces, only 4 nose types, and about a dozen beards. I think less than half a dozen eye shapes.

Future Development Goals: Have a sorted list of features to change up, with category headers/titles for ease of use. Label the two RGB selectors. Label the skin and hair color lists. Update the save function to be compatible with other systems.

Custom_Sprite5.png Custom_Sprite9.png Some examples of the randomly formed faces.
    Controls will be arrows. S for save and R for random.

I am hoping to have an active link up by tonight :)

Also, please let me know what features/assets you wish to see in this project, as I am open to feedback/input. I want to make this as useful for others as possible.

Canini likes this.
  2. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hmm, for this project to be useful to me it would have to be easier than using GIMP or Photoshop do do the same thing. The included artwork wouldn't matter much to me. I would want to be able to:
    • Load your own resources
    • Randomize even when using new resources
      • Maybe by using folders for the different parts?
      • Have some folders marked as truly random, where sometimes it's blank, other times something is added
      • For something really cool and extra, it would be nice to be able to have random generation within a set group. For example, a set of eye make-up options that only show up if a certain eye shape was in use. Done with sub folders with the same name as the limiting part perhaps?
    • Ability to adjust positioning of things after random generation (like creating a Mii)
    • Ability to add layers (otherwise there will never be enough)
    • Linked layers
      • Multiple hair layers as well as eyebrows all getting colored at once
      • Moving things as an attached group instead of one part at a time
      • Random generation brings up all pieces of the part. The front and back of a hat for example.
      • The ability to unlink as well, for fine control
    • Opacity control
    • Keep an indexed palette if desired, but still have recolor options
      • Being able to pre-build color ramps that can be saved for later
      • Having some sort of format for the uncolored versions so the program knows what part to color which part of the ramp.
    • Save and load the setup
      • This would allow for multiple sets of generator resources
      • Also good for switching between generating a male or female or whatever without having to do it all again.
      • It would also mean that someone could share their setup with someone else.
      • It would be nice, but extra, to load some parts of the set up separately, so you could have things like loading the palette and color ramps at the same time, but bring in different generator parts.
    This is all probably waaaay beyond the scope of what you were thinking for your project, but I figure it couldn't hurt to say it. Maybe you'll get some interesting ideas for what you want.

MMMm likes this.
  3. chungsie

chungsie Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    oh, this is great @Sharm
    I had already planned on allowing asset importing for customization, and it's a simple thing to build in I think, well simple enough I can comprehend it :p Hair layers already inherit from a pallet selector thing.

I can see having all these features actually. I will need to think about the import/export setup feature, but it shouldn't be terribly difficult once I realized what data is necessary to do so.

And actually this is great, I have plenty of room to work on this and improve things up a bit. I have just started into 3d asset creation, and I have this idea of making the portraits used for that sort of thing, so side view and back view is a desire for this project.
    The one thing I am still uncertain about is the actual sprites, or if it will only be for portraits. Someone mentioned I should support multiple sprite styles, but I haven't decided on that just yet.

The last thing I added to my dev list for the future, was to work on adding shading points on the faces, to allow for different lighting for the portraits.

Now I do have a preselected palette for hair and skin, I could see maybe adding a color input device of some kind, just I have never done that sort of thing before, so it will be interesting to see what I can do with it.

Sharm likes this.
  4. chungsie

chungsie Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    ok. I have spent some time planning the layout for the app. So far I think it can be fit into a 555px resolution. It doesn't have every feature planned out just yet either. But for some basics I thought this would work.

layout.png

F - portrait
    I - Race
    II - Gender
    III - Style
    IV - Color Pallete Select (premade only)
    A - Head Shape
    B - Hair Style
    C - Eyebrow Shape
    D - Eye Shape
    E - Lip Shape
    G - Facial Hair
    H - Ear Shape
    i - Skin Tone
    ii - Hair Color
    iii - Eye Color
    iv - Lip Color
    Blank - Eye Makeup
    Square - Head Cover
    Circle - Eye Cover
    Triangle - Ear Cover
    Rectangle - Neck cover

Anyways what do you think? I was thinking the sprite generator would be added on another page/room/thing

5. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have no clue, personally. It seems like it might be okay but I have no way to know unless I tried it out. I'm normally that way about everything, but I think this might be the sort of situation where it might be the best way to get information in general. So I think you should do some tests with a minimum viable product, something small with dummy resources and resources pulled from other sources, compare it to the dress up programs already out there, and make notes. I do think you should either have another on face feature selector for things like scars and freckles, or combine it with facial hair. I've seen dress ups where facial hair was combined with makeup, and I always thought it was unfair. For one, because make-up is a whole separate thing that can carry a dress up on it's own, for another because it's just really sexist. What if I want to have a guy that has a goatee, a birth mark, and an awesome cat eye, you know?

I'm also terrible at UI design, so I hope another artist can weight in on that element of it. Good luck!

6. chungsie

chungsie Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    there is a third option for gender, that is called "Custom" and it allows you to do as you please. of coarse I could remove the gender options for now too. We could add another layer down the road. I'm still trying to decide how the selections will work