Batman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German, English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi, folks!

I am working on my first RPG now and red a few of your tips and concerns in other threads.

But due to its closure I want to open a new one.

Can you give me some feedback or tips what to avoid and what to do in my first RPG?
What to do, what to avoid and other tips for making better maps. =)

I read a lot, that normal walking speed (or for a few people it's slow) is bad.
But is normal walking really that bad?
I rather enjoy a dungeon instead of dashing through.

But I agree on dashing in cities and the worldmap. :)

~Wasserteufel~

TheSkullWolf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is awesome advice.
But This one is the best --- >
These are by Echo607 she is worth following.

EDIT: This is also very very good advice click to see it.
These are by Extra Credits and yes worth following

Last edited:

Wasserteufel

Batman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German, English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The bottom two are very interesting!

Cause I use RPG Maker VX Ace. =)

Thanks! ^^

Isabella Ava

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I suggest that you should play some great games out there :) learn from them, why not

TheSkullWolf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The bottom two are very interesting!

Cause I use RPG Maker VX Ace. =)

Thanks! ^^
This is TeamUnpro and a good one for all makers. The first too have some good tips even if you don't use MV. Also on the running or walking question would depend in my mind, is there stuff to find? If so maybe walking is better than dashing. :kaohi:

Wasserteufel

Batman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German, English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is TeamUnpro and a good one for all makers. The first too have some good tips even if you don't use MV. Also on the running or walking question would depend in my mind, is there stuff to find? If so maybe walking is better than dashing. :kaohi:
Thanks! =D

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[dpost]Wasserteufel[/dpost]

Double posting is where you post directly underneath a post by yourself before 72 hours have elapsed. If you want to add something, just edit your earlier post. If you want to make it clear that you are replying to two different people, use @ plus the username, like this @Wasserteufel . When you type it, a dropdown box appears and you select the one you want. This tags the person and lets them know that you have replied to them.

Wasserteufel

Batman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German, English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kes

Understood!

Sorry. :3

How do I delete posts? ^^"

---

What do you guys and girls think?

I gave every character NPC, important-, non-important, EVERY character a face..
But many guards look the same now, cause lack of faces..

Should I rather only give faces to important characters and important NPCs?

TheSkullWolf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Should I rather only give faces to important characters and important NPCs?
I love when all have faces, but in my game I am building I have given each character a unique icon of their sprite faces, personally I think if they don't have faces sometimes the player may wonder who just spoke if they aren't paying close attention.

Wasserteufel

Batman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German, English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I love when all have faces, but in my game I am building I have given each character a unique icon of their sprite faces, personally I think if they don't have faces sometimes the player may wonder who just spoke if they aren't paying close attention.
So do you think it's better when eg. guards only have 2 types of faces in a certain city than none? =)

Because I really like giving everybody a face.. It's looks more like talking to somebody.

TheSkullWolf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So do you think it's better when eg. guards only have 2 types of faces in a certain city than none?
Yeah, I do. I'm sure some don't, but I agree with you on that. It really makes you feel like your having a conversation.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just know that if you accidentally double post you can always report it and ask us to merge it with the other post.

As for the topic at hand, here is my advice. Start small, or plan to be at it a really long time. We get many users who want to make the next Final Fantasy for their first game, not realizing it will take them 3 - 5 years easily to do that. So, they proceed, then quit about 6 months into it due to the amount of work that it takes. So maybe start small, like Eric Quest to kill the King of Slimes in the Sewers.

And granted, I didn't do that myself, though I did eventually stop and make a small game to test out my battle system. It had almost no cutscenes, and very small dungeons (I think the largest was 40 x 30 tiles), but what I did was I put a lot of battles on each map (using visual battles) with the goal being fight through all of them so you can get to the next map and save. Sure, it sounds awful as a game (hence why I never released it), but I was able to make a little 6 hour game that way and got to test and find flaws in my battle system as well.

Wasserteufel

Batman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German, English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just know that if you accidentally double post you can always report it and ask us to merge it with the other post.

As for the topic at hand, here is my advice. Start small, or plan to be at it a really long time. We get many users who want to make the next Final Fantasy for their first game, not realizing it will take them 3 - 5 years easily to do that. So, they proceed, then quit about 6 months into it due to the amount of work that it takes. So maybe start small, like Eric Quest to kill the King of Slimes in the Sewers.

And granted, I didn't do that myself, though I did eventually stop and make a small game to test out my battle system. It had almost no cutscenes, and very small dungeons (I think the largest was 40 x 30 tiles), but what I did was I put a lot of battles on each map (using visual battles) with the goal being fight through all of them so you can get to the next map and save. Sure, it sounds awful as a game (hence why I never released it), but I was able to make a little 6 hour game that way and got to test and find flaws in my battle system as well.
Thank you very much.

I am aware that I won't do a Final Fantasy but I do have very high ambitions.. xD

So, thanks for your advice!

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Keep your maps as small as possible and don't decorate them until you are pretty much done with everything else in your game. Nothing wastes more time than having to redo entire maps because you want to change the floor or walls. This might not be an issue in some versions of RPG Maker. It definitely is in MV, though.

But yeah, watch a bunch of tutorial videos and play around with the options as you learn on a test project. It's best to start with learning what can be don't with the base engine before trying to implement a specific design that requires tons of plug-ins and custom scripts that don't even exist yet. A lot of times, you'll find that what can be done is close enough to what you want if you know it's there.

Also, search these forums on a technic called shift-click mapping. When it's time to decorate your maps, this will come in handy.

Darth Equus

I *HATE* Parallax Mapping.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
My suggestion, based on the limited experience I've gathered in my own project, is to make a focused storyline, but at the same time allow for some flexibility: You don't want to end up writing yourself into a corner because of a feature you couldn't implement with the Maker, so learn to accept you may need to sacrifice or change some aspects of your project in order to overcome a hurdle. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Will probably never use MZ. Buys it anyway
Been playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope, the remastered version on PS4. I like it. Seems others think it's garbage, but I like these cutesy, silly, and tropey characters. Having waaaay more fun with it than SO: Integrity and Faithlessness.
In other news, my new computer is now ordered, and I'll have it in my hot little hands by the end of the week! CAN'T WAIT!!!
I've said my cat's names in such a baby-talk manner over the years, Biggs is now Biggoro, Bella is now Bellllyyaah, and somehow.....somehow Tessa is Sessashan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr