MisterM

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So greetings to all you brave folks of the RPG Maker community. I'm MisterM and I've been a fan of RPG Maker produced games for awhile now. Thing is I've never considered even trying to make a game myself until a few months ago. Now that I've got RPG MV and am trying to get started I find myself a little overwhelmed. I was hoping to get some advice from those more experienced them myself and maybe make a friend or two.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's my first piece of advice - when you are looking for help, being specific is the best thing you can do. For example, "hoping to get advice" is really very vague. Asking specific questions is good, because there is so much advice that could be given.

I also just suggest reading, reading, reading here on the forums. Read questions and answers others ask. Even if it's not a problem you've encountered yet or you think doesn't apply to you, you might find it useful down the road. And every bit of information helps build a large understanding.

Welcome and take some time to get to familiar with the forums and it's rules and how it works and you'll be fine. :)

Kino

EIS Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd take it slow; there's a lot to look at in the engine, and things you have to learn that are not engine specific. 

For starters, I'd make a list of things you need for your game; features, graphics, mapping, enemy AI, music, etc. After that, pick one of the things you want to work on first, then dive into that subject and research only what you need to know. Going deeper while working on your project, will just delay it.

One important thing to do is always take a look at your game daily; you want to stay motivated, and keep the project fresh in your mind.

Lastly, the most important bit is, your first project may not live up to your expectations, but love it for what it is. It's your first time developing, and you can only get better with each new project, armed with new knowledge. And don't be afraid to ask questions, or do something uncomfortable ( asking for help maybe? ); talking with other people can really help get the best out of your game. After a while, it becomes more than just your own project when you think about it.

Hope this helps.

--Kino

MisterM

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks mlogan. Funny enough that is just the advice I needed. I'm reading up on everything I can find and I'll remember to be more specific with the questions I ask.

Edit: Also Thank you Kino. I'll narrow the scope of my research accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh and my other piece of advice, from experience, is start small. Plan at least a couple of very small projects - short simple storylines - to get your feet wet and so that you can say "I finished something."

Simon D. Aelsi

Voice Actor/Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hylian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My two cents, if I may:

Try to resolve an issue that comes up first; if you can't, then approach the talented and knowledgeable ladies and gentlemen of the forum. community.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's really not fun burning 4 hours looking at code and trying certain things and getting no where.
:kaoswt2: Steam seems down again... oh nevermind, it's up now
After so long, my random sprites set is complete! I wonder who could guess them all? :kaothx:
2COlHup.png

And yes, I'm doing more.
I'm thinking of devouring some tutorials for RPG Maker MV. Just all kinds: mapping, spriting, programming, ect. the whole works! :)

Maybe videos, my brother and I can sit down and watch them during one of our weekly business meetings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonboy92