My game broke. ~The lamentations of one who cannot code.~

TakaDynasty

Apologetic Lurker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Finally buckled down and got going on a serious project. I was working hard. Non-stop, little sleep, for two and a half weeks.

Then, just now, at the final boss of this build, a thing happened. A skill was reporting some kind of error. Something about floating and something being non-finite. It only happened with this one crucial boss skill. I thought it might be the plugin I'd just added, so I got rid of it and the one thing that depended on it. That didn't do it. Deleted and remade the skill from scratch, no notetags. Same problem. Resized the boss image, took off the applied condition, cleaned out the damage formula... NOTHING worked.

I can't code so I have no idea what broke, where it's located, or (worst of all) how I even begin to fix it. It's definitely something within code, as I didn't make any script calls and the console was showing me lines of code I couldn't begin to parse. It was code, but it wasn't my code.

Then as I sent what I had to my friend for one last look-through while I shrugged off all my work and got ready for my next endeavor, she informed me that several things at the start of the game - things that were double tested and confirmed working, and I hadn't touched since - had suddenly started bugging out. The camera wasn't behaving during cutscenes, a ferret was a dog, it was... complicated.

The moral of the story: If you're not a coder, it's best to keep your project as simple as possible. Because if something breaks in the code, you can't fix it. You literally just don't know how, and in my case, it's so impossible for me to make sense of that I don't even know how to ask for help on the forums.

Welp. Time for me to move on to the much simpler dinosaur.

Edit: (I was not thinking about marketing conflicts when I typed that, and I apologize. This place is so laid back I sometimes forget it's an official forum. :p )

Last edited by a moderator:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is why you *never* add plug-ins mid project. Plug-ins completely change the behavior of things, sometimes by adding variables that used to not exist, and so on. What you probably ran into was the plug-in added a variable, which didn't exist in your save game, so it crashed the game. Worse, if you saved AFTER loading a game and adding the plug-in, deleting the plug-in will make it worse as now there's a variable saved in your save game that no longer exists, so it will get loaded into phantom spots.

Moral of the story: ALWAYS start a new game after adding a plug-in, and never add one then load an old save. And test everything once a new one is added, plug-ins change way too much to expect old things to work still.

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I broke my game towards the end also... except with no plugins. I had no errors, but I had a ton of events, common events and variables conflicting with each other. Also fooled around with the boss' skill formulas and patterns which didn't work as intended. I really didn't want to delete my 5 end game maps and events so I just keep it as a reminder to not experiment with too many things I'm not familiar with at once. Even keeping your project simple may not make it safe from your own wrath.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that floating probably came from one of yanfly's scripts - and the last time I heard of a message there it was caused by either wrogn plugin order or by a wrong configuration inside a script.

That might help you figuring out where that came from

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Kes wrote on Chef's profile.
I have deleted your profile post as our Rules are quite clear that you may not use them to advertise non-RM products, nor may you give a link to anything that solicits payment for you.
140 Thousand words, take one down, toss it around, discover I hate the direction I went and decide to start a complete rewrite.
I like being a butt to people.
Dirtnap wrote on Tyler Warren's profile.
Hi Tyler,

My name is Sean, I am the owner of an indie studio, and I am looking to get some paid art work done. I am working with MV, but our programmer will be heavily modifying it.

If you are interested, or would like to hear more, I can provide my personal e-mail address.

S.G.
The stream will be live shortly with some more Witcher 3! Feel free to drop by~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BwadeZ