Artisticdog

Really ambitious (manager of project dogquest)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So I just want to say I’ve been trying to make this project for 7 months now, and i keep making everything from scratch over and over again because my team doesn’t like my ideas that much, first it has to do with the characters and then the story and soon I have to redo everything because they don’t like the idea. I’m a horrible leader and I have no experience in making commercial games. I tried game jam but my game jam team gave up before I could even start. So game jam is a no. I’m really in a tough spot where i don’t know what to do.
How many more times do I have to restart my ideas. How do I make a good idea that I can stick with and may do well.
What do I do when my team disagrees with my ideas.
If you are experienced on making games, please give me some advice… ( also I’m too stubborn to give up)

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why do you need to make it with a team? If your team members dislike your ideas and your story...those are the fundamental aspects of a game. It sounds like those people aren't compatible for you to work with.

Why don't you just make it on your own?

Artisticdog

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Why do you need to make it with a team? If your team members dislike your ideas and your story...those are the fundamental aspects of a game. It sounds like those people aren't compatible for you to work with.

Why don't you just make it on your own?
I could… but I don’t know javascript. So if I do find a team member that does know javascript, he or she could help with the scripting parts. And also I can make music but not the greatest music…

staticplacebo

Neon color enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I could… but I don’t know javascript. So if I do find a team member that does know javascript, he or she could help with the scripting parts. And also I can make music but not the greatest music…
I'm not sure if you have complicated ideas that would require javascript, but have you considered just kind of jumping into making it by yourself + seeing how far that gets you? Plus there is copyright free music online!

Artisticdog

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not sure if you have complicated ideas that would require javascript, but have you considered just kind of jumping into making it by yourself + seeing how far that gets you? Plus there is copyright free music online!
No I haven’t…

staticplacebo

Neon color enthusiast
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
No I haven’t…
In that case, try maybe giving it a shot! I consider myself an artist and programming to be a necessary evil, but I've made my game so far and it's running great! :kaojoy:

If there are any "fancy" game mechanics, you can probably google something similar to it + find a plugin instead of making it from scratch. Or even commission someone to make a plugin / script for you!

The sky's the limit really, although I hope you have a blast on your game dev journey! :kaopride:

Artisticdog

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In that case, try maybe giving it a shot! I consider myself an artist and programming to be a necessary evil, but I've made my game so far and it's running great! :kaojoy:

If there are any "fancy" game mechanics, you can probably google something similar to it + find a plugin instead of making it from scratch. Or even commission someone to make a plugin / script for you!

The sky's the limit really, although I hope you have a blast on your game dev journey! :kaopride:
Well thank you very much!

EntangledPear

Previously No Patience (now patient enough)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Slovak
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Working with a team sounds like a nightmare. It's definitely great to have someone who knows things you don't, but you could, for example, ask around here instead, I'm sure someone would help you.

If you don't want to go it alone, think of it like this: it's your idea, your story, your characters - the team members should concentrate on their own expertise and there should be clearly defined roles (i.e. no input beyond what their role is, unless you ask for it).

Otherwise, agreed with what the others are saying.

Artisticdog

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Working with a team sounds like a nightmare. It's definitely great to have someone who knows things you don't, but you could, for example, ask around here instead, I'm sure someone would help you.

If you don't want to go it alone, think of it like this: it's your idea, your story, your characters - the team members should concentrate on their own expertise and there should be clearly defined roles (i.e. no input beyond what their role is, unless you ask for it).

Otherwise, agreed with what the others are saying.
I guess you can’t please everyone right?

woootbm

Super Sand Legend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
my team doesn’t like my ideas that much, first it has to do with the characters and then the story and soon I have to redo everything because they don’t like the idea. I’m a horrible leader and I have no experience in making commercial games.
Have you considered joining someone else's team?

Also I'm confused by the fact that it's a commercial game. How are your team members being compensated? Maybe I'm a control freak or a loner or whatever, but when it comes to making a commercial game (or even non-commercial, actually) my "team" consists of people working on commission and assets from a store. That way, I get to be dictator-for-life on the project (although I still look for feedback from those commissioned, of course).

Although I'm guessing this is some kind of work-for-free/trade situations. Which is... Iunno, seems like a bad idea for a commercial game. There's money involved, so that changes the relationship.

Artisticdog

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Have you considered joining someone else's team?

Also I'm confused by the fact that it's a commercial game. How are your team members being compensated? Maybe I'm a control freak or a loner or whatever, but when it comes to making a commercial game (or even non-commercial, actually) my "team" consists of people working on commission and assets from a store. That way, I get to be dictator-for-life on the project (although I still look for feedback from those commissioned, of course).

Although I'm guessing this is some kind of work-for-free/trade situations. Which is... Iunno, seems like a bad idea for a commercial game. There's money involved, so that changes the relationship.
its a unoffical commercial game, we dont even have a game yet.

woootbm

Super Sand Legend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
its a unoffical commercial game, we dont even have a game yet.
So I did a little snooping and it says you're 14 on your profile. Probably should ditch the idea of doing a commercial game because that's likely to be legally problematic.

I'm not sure what you mean by "unofficial", though. It doesn't sound like your game is a fan game.

At any rate, now I think I just flat out agree with the others: just do a solo project. You should scope down and cut anything too complicated and keep it simple. You're still learning so you should just take it one step at a time. Build up your knowledge and confidence for now. By the time you're old enough to actually do a commercial game you'll be a pro ;)

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I could… but I don’t know javascript. So if I do find a team member that does know javascript, he or she could help with the scripting parts.
I'm not sure what your goals are or where you got ideas, but you don't need to know JavaScript in order to make a game in RPG Maker. That's kind of the point of RPG Maker, to be able to make a game without coding knowledge.
So I did a little snooping and it says you're 14 on your profile. Probably should ditch the idea of doing a commercial game because that's likely to be legally problematic.
If that's accurate, you really have a lot of ducks to get in a row if you want to sell a game. For one thing you can't sell a game because you need to be 18 to make accounts that can accept monetary transactions, and to participate in legal agreements with companies like Steam that would do the selling.

So you'd have to have a parent do all of that. And if your other teammates are also underage, you'd need their parents to get involved and...it's honestly something you should have legal consultation on before you try to set it up.

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're making a game with a team you gotta be able to collaborate. Disagreement is part of the creative process; maybe rather than being disheartened when you disagree try to reframe it as an opportunity to benefit from the opinions of your teammates.

I would say though that if you are a "horrible leader", as you say in the OP, maybe consider not being team leader? There's no reason you can't contribute to another project without doing something you are fundamentally unsuited to.

Either way, best of luck.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds like you need to figure out if this is a job or a hobby.

If hobby, I would say take a break before you burn yourself out on something that you love.

If job, I would say think about getting some (perhaps a lot of) experience on someone else's team before you try to tackle a commercial game.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Agreed with all of the above. I'm not really sure why you're attempting to make a commercial game in the first place. I obviously don't know your life situation, but a 14-year-old shouldn't even be worrying about money. Try to make the game for fun first, and then once you're good at it, then you can try and make money. I know it feels rewarding to get coinage from doing something you love, but believe me, it's just more hassle than it's worth for your age and experience level.

Artisticdog

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sounds like you need to figure out if this is a job or a hobby.

If hobby, I would say take a break before you burn yourself out on something that you love.

If job, I would say think about getting some (perhaps a lot of) experience on someone else's team before you try to tackle a commercial game.
both??

CleanWater

Neutral Good Battle Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Português BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dealing with people and making games are two different things.

My honest advice on this matter is to read the book: How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Good Luck! :biggrin:

TheAM-Dol

Randomly Generated User Name
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I actually remember your other posts :LZSlol: You almost fooled me with the changed avatar.
I get it - having ambitious dreams. I think at 14 I was either attempting to write the next best YA novel since Twilight or trying to write a grand 14 track concept album....both of which got tossed into the dumpster before I left high school.
What I remember, was that I was learning so much and gaining so many skills that previous songs/chapters would look so unrefined. It's kind of like an MMO or grand RPG - you don't just start grinding for the best gear at level 1 because you reach the next level so quickly that the previous level's gear is obsolete.

So, go ahead and try to make your ambitious game - there's nothing wrong with that, and you'll likely still learn a lot (especially if you do it alone, since you'll need to manage all functions from the level design, game design, music, art, programming, and resource acquisition - those are all skills to master) but, to throw in my 2 cents as a better way to spend your time:

I learn more when I start a new project than I learn working through a project. Once you've built up the concept around your game, you know how the game is going to play out, and what you need to do, you'll still learn some things along the way, but you've established the formula and so there is less to figure out. When you start a new project, you need to figure out the formula to make the concept work, which may involve a lot more moving parts resulting in a lot more learning.
So I think you would find it more rewarding to work on smaller, simpler projects. Try not to go too far outside the wheelhouse of basic RPG Maker - that's not going to require a lot of programming. Once you completed a basic game like that, step it up a little bit with one foot in the RPG Maker wheelhouse and one foot outside, then finally once you complete that, step it up again by going balls-to-the-wall with whacky concepts that RPG Maker's base wasn't designed for.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

By far, the weirdest flex I've ever seen on the internet is "I don't have the attention span to read what you wrote, but I REALLY want the world to know I don't have that attention span!".
Why... the FACK... do I work in customer service?!?!
Excuse me while I go question allllll my life choices.
DamageEvil_6.png added!
index.php

Sometimes I wonder why I still try and recruit others to help with my games. It never works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alantangyl