My idea/proposal for a new video game console for both gamers and game developers

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by ssunlimited, Jun 9, 2019.

1. ssunlimited

ssunlimited Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi! I have this idea for a new video game console for both gamers and game developers. Here are some facts about it:

• It will be both cheap and powerful. I hope it can be sold at $120-150 without it being at a loss for game developers. It would be as powerful as New 3DS, or at least New 2DS.
    • There will be it's own IDE software to create games for it. It will also support many game engines, including all the top modern ones such as Unity, Unreal, RPG Maker and Game Maker Studio.
    • It will contain a shop that will be free. It will be like a console shop (like Nintendo eShop and Playstation Store) that can be accessed through the console and through the Internet anywhere.
    • You can post a game of almost any size or quality (just not a really bad one) on the store for free or for sale. The store will be something like itch.io where there won't be any hassle of things like approval in order to put up your game. This is unlike putting your game on the regular modern console stores or for PC (PS Store, Nintendo eShop, Steam etc...)
    • The benefits for these things are:
      • Gamers can buy good games for a smaller price (instead of buying a handheld game for $40, you can buy an equally good game for $20 or less).
      • Game developers can put their games on a console (which will havelifetime or long-term support) even without selling it on the store (for playtest and for fun)
      • It is easier to put your game online and sell it at a profit
      • The console will be (more) affordable at a price of $150 or less.

What do you guys think? Please comment!!

2. Silenity

Silenity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Some games made via unity/unreal are insane. I doubt something with the power of a 3ds would be able to handle it.
    Some PCs can barely handle them.
    I don't think something like this would ever take off really.
    Yes, games are entertaining. However, it's a business.
    Businesses want to make money at the end of the day. And it would be hard to make money with a model like this.

PikanyaDesu likes this.
  3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sounds like what the Ooya tried to do. May wish to look up how well that worked before you tackle this more, as you'll need to avoid their pitfalls. And you'll need serious $$$ to moderate all of the game submissions.

Marsigne likes this.
  4. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm legitimately working on something similar already :p

5. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    On paper it might be a cool idea, but in reality here's your biggest hurdles:
    • Money: you need a lot of money to mass produce your console. If there's only a small amount of your consoles, developers won't bother making games for it because they know their audience will be little. The reason why devs make games for PS4 is because they know millions and millions of people own a PS4. Now, let's say you want to make 1 million of your console, and it costs around 100$ per console (I'm sure it's doable, but it will probably more. Might want to look in powerful APUs like Ryzen 3), it's going to costs you 100$ million up front, and not everyone has that kind of money just lying around.
    • Support for Devs: When devs are making a game in something like Unity or UE4, or even RPG Maker, they have APIs to support them into deploying for different platforms. You're going to have to invest into your software and have APIs, clear guidelines, recommended specs for devs, etc. Now, after doing that, you need to talk to people at Unity and Epic for them to actually support your platform in their game engine.
    • Indie Games vs AAA: With something like what you're describing, you're likely to attract more indie game devs rather than AAA. Needless to say to it's the AAA devs that have the money, not the indie devs. Plus, most people don't play indie games, they play AAA games. Don't forget that casual gamers form the majority of the market.
    • Console OS: You need an OS, since you won't be running microsoft (right?). Linux is an option, but support for games on there is still very lacking (I know about Wine and other APIs, but they still aren't very fleshed out). So you'll need to code an OS to handle the base operations, graphics rendering, make sure it supports the modern CPUs and GPUs (again, Ryzen 3 APU is probably the most cost efficient way).
    • Marketing: Now here's the big part. Even after spending millions of millions, you'll have to market your console to not only make gamers buy it, but also to recruit as much devs as you can. After all, what's the point in buying a console if there's no games on it. But the opposite is also true: why create a game for a console that no one owns (aka PS vita). Marketing is probably going to cost you tons of money.
    • Game Screening: Now, if you a bit successful, you'll have tons a small devs sending you their game, and you'll probably want to have a minimum standard for acceptable games on your platform. How will you screen thousands of thousands of games? You'll need to hire people for that, offer support, etc.
    • Competition: So you have a lot of opponents. Not only will you fight against the PC gaming market (unless you have some exclusives), there's XBox, PS, and now Google Stadia. And I think I don't have to mention that these are multi billions corporations.
    Honestly, it would be far easier to create a software similar like Steam rather than building a console, and even that is no easy feat.

PikanyaDesu likes this.
  6. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sounds like it has potential, but without backing it up strongly, let's just say it has been done a couple of times before without success. ;)

?????? likes this.