My impassable tiles [X] for some reason are passable.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by CarlosDavilla, Mar 23, 2019.

1. CarlosDavilla

CarlosDavilla The Insolent One Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi. It's me again.

So, I have this new problem.
    For some reason, my impassable tiles (marked with an X) are now passable for actors. I can get through roofs and walls when I shouldn't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any idea what this could be? Apparently, this mess started after I put the Neon Black's Terrain Tags and Star Passability Bug Fix. Maybe those aren't the cause, but I'd like to point it out just if it's relevant to the case.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  2. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As far as I know that tile is passable from above because the 4 direction passage only blocks passage from below. It works this way for all roof tiles with black filling by default. Star Passability Bug Fix has nothing to do with that and I have never used the other one so I am not sure.

Anyway you can always put an impassable B tile over it (a transparent one would do the trick).

3. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry to say, but its a feature not a bug =).

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    the first B tile has to be set to star - that is the erase tile by the way, and tile picture there will be ignored anyway, just check and try to draw it.
    If the first B tile is not a star, then the entire passability on that tileset is broken.

If you want to know why, follow the link to my resurrected blog posts in my signature and then the topic "why can my actors walk on walls".

Additionally, the ceiling tiles are intentionally passable but can't be walked on directly unless you have an override like a ladder to get there - that is to enable simulating a two-level-dungeon without actually having two levels on the map.
    It is explained in detail in one of the tips in my starting point tutorial.

5. Heirukichi

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @CarlosDavilla Absolutely, when I said "a B tile" I did not mean the first one. It goes without saying that it has to be something else. Even C, D or E work as long as you have a X there but just do not change passability for the first B tile.

6. CarlosDavilla

CarlosDavilla The Insolent One Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi guys, thanks for the help.
    It turned out that yes, my first B tile was marked as a [O], not a [☆]. Marking it back fixed the walls and roofs.
    Sadly, this didn't fix the polls and road signs. You know, the ones that I removed the passability for going down and up in the base of the poll?

[​IMG]

It acts like this:

[​IMG]

What can I do in this case?

EDIT: Well, for test purposes I put the Star Passability Bug Fix back on and it fixes the problem for the 4 dir. passage tiles, which is good. Unfortunately, I can't use the Neon Black's Terrain Tags and the Star Passability Bug Fix at the same time, as for one overwrites the other.

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you have the passage set to a star, it ignores any 4-dir passability you've got set. Change the Passage to O and then change the 4-dir to the way you want it.

8. Heirukichi

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Unfortunately if two scripts are not compatible with each other there is not much you can do. When that happens your one and only option is to edit those scripts and make them compatible - if that is possible.

However doing so means you have to know how the script itself is written. You might find someone willing to help you but you should at least provide a link to the two scripts.

As for that specific tile as Shaz said star passability ignores 4-directions passability. I do not think using an O passability is an option for you though. You want it to be visible above character but, at the same time, not passable from below. Having its passability as O will make it not passable from below but at the same time when a character steps over it it appears behind it.

My solution is to create a different A tile to use as floor when lanterns are there - it should have exactly the same appearence as other floor tiles you are using. This way you can use an O passability for the floor and block movement from below but at the same time you can set your lantern tile to star passability so that it appears above characters. This will give the impression of the lantern being between that tile and the one right below it - which I think is the effect you want.