My Life in the Fast Food Industry (Including the weirdos, the jerks and the downright cool people I

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by UNphiltered_khaos, Feb 16, 2015.

1. UNphiltered_khaos

UNphiltered_khaos Game Dev. Artist. Veteran

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I had an interesting time. How about you all? Any experiences in the world of Service?

(I will make this a little more thorough in a little bit... I am learning some Ruby, but I had seen a request for this.)

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  2. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The service industry in general is really a pain.

The bad thing is the lack of leadership.

There are no leaders to manage things right.

That's my opinion.

Otherwise, there is always a 20% of jerks on every job.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
    Alexander Amnell likes this.
  3. Nathan Frost

Nathan Frost ... only the world's greatest Secret Agent. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've worked at fast food establishments before working at a more 'professional' styled restaurant. (eg: The 99) I honestly love this job over any fast food job. While working at Burger King (my first tax paying job) I had this one supervisor who I wanted to just smack the hell out of because she was only a year older then me and thought she would try to show her position over mine by screaming at only me when a head boss was around, also crew members are limited to 27 hours a week locked in at $8.00 well $9.00 now because that's Massachusetts minimum wage now. After I left for my second job at McDonald's, I quickly lost all interest with Fast Food. Still locked in at $8.00 an hour, The management was so terrible, it wasn't run properly on any shift and I had absolutely no training as required for certain operations. I was also not getting hardly any hours and my checks were always under $100. My breaking point was when I was told I wasn't allowed to check on the seclude, even after I walked in and called over the phone so I ended up missing a shift I didn't know I was scheduled for so I was written up as I was picking up my check (which I made it my last) I told them were to stick their referral. I'm now currently employed at The 99 and I absolutely love it, I'm getting a lot of hours, twice the amount of money and my co-workers are just always in a good mood. It never feels too fast pace to me, even after I worked valentines day and we had a massive rush. A piece of advice, never work at fast food places. You'll just get walked on and taken advantage of constantly. 

Dreadshadow likes this.
  4. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can't stop looking and I know it!

Also you are right @Nathan Frost.

Nathan Frost likes this.
  5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Management can make or break a fast food job. I had a fast food job summer of 2000 at pizza hut, and it was awesome! Our manager was so laid back, and didn't work us to the bone like many others did. Plus, he was nice about giving us free pizzas on our shift, the only rule was you had to share with everyone else working. So many Saturdays we would poll the 4 of us working the day shift as what we wanted for lunch, put it in the oven, and eat up.

Though, I think part of the reason they were so laid back was this was during the dot com era where many fast food companies couldn't get enough workers, so they were afraid we would quit on them at any minute if they mistreated us. Only time I've ever seen Taco Bell advertise starting pay of $2.85/hr more than minimum (minimum was $5.15, Taco Bell was advertising $8/hr).

6. PixelHeart

PixelHeart The Pixel Heartist! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Sigh....while i would like to upgrade from the fast food level of work, sometime in my life i hope....i found out fairly recently that a busboy actually gets paid more than i do at my current, much harder job...that is injustice :( .  

7. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can't say I've ever worked in a fast food position, but many times my own position kind of seems close to the same.  Except, I get benefits.

I have, however, noticed that many fast food places around here have absolutely terrible horrendous bosses and even employees.  You know it's bad when a customer can see it on their 5 minute stop in to the place of business.  When I do stop in, I generally try to be kind and understanding.  I accept that sometimes things go awry at the job and my order might not be right all the time or I may wait a little longer than expected before I get my food.  These are things I understand, especially when the employee takes the time to apologize for such things (the painful part is there are so few who actually do apologize for inconveniencing the customer).  As long as an employee is good about trying to fix the situation, I hold no ill will or grudges against them.

But, there are the really stupid employees and their even worse bosses that make even being a customer at these places an absolute nightmare.  I've stopped going to the KFC in our town because they frequently have undercooked chicken and sometimes even mashed potatoes (or gravy!  Ever eaten cold refrigerated gravy?  I do not wish that on my worst enemies!).  Even when you go in and ask them to cook the food again, you're treated to 3 more minutes of waiting and they come back out with lukewarm food that still hasn't been cooked and was probably thrown in a microwave.  My last meal from there was 5 years ago and I haven't been back to see if they've fixed their issues with complete incompetence.  I'm also getting fairly angry and annoyed with Pizza Hut as they seem to be treating their drivers like absolute crap as well as some of their other staff so that I'm never dealing with the same person twice and I'm waiting sometimes up to 2 hours for a delivery with no guarantee that the order is right when it gets to me (it usually isn't!).  Granted, Pizza Hut really isn't "fast food" by any stretch, but it has the same kind of employees.  I've also had a few issues with McDonalds to the point that I rarely visit them anymore either.  Not that their service is horrible or anything, I just lack the patience to deal with them anymore.  About half the time I go there, they get my order wrong.  Not an issue in and of itself, but a few times they've gotten the order wrong a second time after I brought it back in and told them what I ordered was wrong.  Even better was once I had to have them fix it a third time because apparently nobody was in the "listening" department when I was trying to get food from there.  Another time I was there and they got my food wrong, the employee accidently charged me for a second meal because they didn't understand I was coming in just to get what I'd originally paid for.  That's fine, mistakes happen.  It only got bad when the employee (who was obviously new) called over the manager to ask how you wipe out the charges on the new order because she had made a mistake and charged me again.  The manager had the gall to tell me that it would just be easier for me to pay them a second time and they'd get the new order right.  I left my food on their counter and just walked out.  I was too angry to try to talk them into returning my $8 for my meal and I had suddenly lost my appetite.

I dunno, maybe most of these experiences have just kind of soured me on the whole "go out to eat fast food" thing.  Even places I know have good service and employees I avoid now.  Too many bad apples spoiled the crop for me I guess.  I know there are good employees out there and places that care about their employees and even customer service...  Unfortunately, they're not really the places I would like to eat my fast food from.

8. AvarinaSkye

AvarinaSkye Clumsy Adventurer Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've never worked fast food, but definitely in the food industry (plenty of restaurant opportunities in Hawaii specifically). I've never had to dealt with the 'cheap', the homeless (coming in at least), etc, HOWEVER I did deal with big families because I worked at Bubba Gumps Shrimp Co. And out of all the restaurants on this one tourist-y street, Bubba Gumps is supposedly 'kid-friendly'. And the prices are ridiculously low for kid's meals compared to the normal, adult, entree. I've had people complain that it's too "expensive". Well, there's a Mickey D's right down the road. I can't do anything to change the prices to your liking. It is a restaurant after all. That aside, I've had disgusting pigs eat like they are at home, and treat servers/hosts like we were lower than them. I am hoping no one here on the forums act like this, but I hope that, if you ever go out on vacation, and no matter where you go to eat, whether it's fast food or restaurant or anywhere else in fact, that you treat every single person the same way they treat you. For a whole year living in Hawaii, and comparing it to living in Los Angeles all my life, it seemed like the respect for others went down because people have their heads in 'vacation heaven' or something.

And I do agree with the lack of professional managers in the food industry. I guess people don't want to deal with these kinds of things.

9. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    If helping students study for entrance exams and their studies online, as well as helping people in these kinds of forums are included in the "world of service", then I'd say I have a really fun time doing it. There are of course "bad" clients every now and then but that's part of it.

Alexander Amnell likes this.
  10. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've got a few things to say here I guess. I've worked several service jobs and have plenty of stories of bad customers, bad bosses/coworkers, the horrible logistics of a typical corporation etc. that I could rant about right now but I don't want to do that. Those experiences are over with, and not worth my nostalgia, so instead I'm going to focus on the awesome people I've met in the fast food industry whom I respect and admire, the people that work hard every day and give it their best in spite of the fact that a large portion of the population look down on them and classify them all as 'lazy good For nothing druggies, losers and imbeciles. It's an undeserved and disgusting generalization; and these people deserve their props. So for once I'm going to make sure that someone out there gives it to them.

(I will refer to the following people either by nickname or the first letter of their names to respect their privacy.)

First up I'll start with a couple who I'm very close to to this day. Mr. R and Mrs. Bunny, two of the coolest, most accepting and kindhearted individuals I've ever had the privilege to work with, who have worked the fast food circuit for most of their lives and continue to this day. It's hard to put into words, their just hardworking folks who try their best to make everyone happy. Always doing things that aren't their jobs in their downtime just to 'help out' bringing in snacks an homemade baked goods on holidays to cheer up the people stuck working there or even throwing small get togethers at their house for their coworkers. The two of them are highly devout Christians and while I couldn't say the same thing myself I will say that if all Christians where like mrs. Bunny is I'd convert instantly. Remember this is fast food I'm talking about, mcdonalds in particular which means about a third of the people working there are at least stoners; yet while they would make their opinion on the matter known without hesitation as long as you were respectful of where they are coming from they'd do the same for you, and never let their beliefs on morality ruin a good friendship. It's one thing to hear a paster preach that the congregation should be 'in the world but not of it' and to 'sup with thieves an plebeians' but quite another to meet someone who truly lives that way. Even in an environment where everywhere you look your being bashed and looked down on they just keep working, never seem to slack off or half-ass anything no matter how rude and inconsiderate those they serve are acting and I'm honored to think of them as family at this point. They helpe me out in a dark period of my life and showed me that not everyone in this world is a hypocrite.

Next is C, a young man I worked with for a brief time. C wasn't at the job because he had to, he was there because his grandfather owned the franchise and wanted him to get the proper experience. It's not at all what you are thinking though, C wasn't a stuck up brat and didn't have any special privileges at work (at least not any he exercised) but he was one of the friendliest young men I've ever met. He'd always have a smile on his face or a story to tell, many times were an iterate customer would be left either speechless or embarrassed and apologetic after speaking with him just because of how outgoing, accommodating and downright friendly he was. He'd often spend his breaks doing 'grocery runs' for the staff where he'd go out an pick up sodas, candybars or whatever else anyone might ask him to pick up for them. I don't know where C is now but I bet wherever he works is the best job those people have ever worked; simply for his presence.

That's it for now, got a few more people I want to give props to while this subject exists but life calls...

Marsigne and Dreadshadow like this.
  11. captainproton

captainproton Dangerously Nifty Veteran

First Language:
    english
    I work retail, which is bad enough, but I know I could never work in food service, whether it's fast food or otherwise. I have no patience for incompetence or unsanitary practices in the kitchen, as the slightest screwup can cause big problems. After a day, i'd be hauled away for screaming at people.