Not open for further replies.

LightningLord2

Psionic Bird Thrower
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Regarding the battle screen: consider moving the active pony's image to the left so it doesn't obstruct the view on the battlefield.

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
@LightningLord2 I was thinking about this by myself ~ I'll keep your suggestion in mind, thanks! (=

I'll be reworking the whole battle screen and system as I want to use bigger ~ animated sprites, so everything will be recreated and some things will be changed so if you have more suggestions about what would be better and what is terrible, then I'd happy to hear about them. (=

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
3OkoVS8.png

'---------[ # 12 ]---------'

Title Screen Completed!
I was wondering on the concept pretty long like with anything else I guess, but I've decided to put some simple animations and stuff, that should make it look less static and more 'cartoony'. (=

There's not that much to tell or show, since it's just a Title Screen, so let's just get to the screenshots. ^^

8jwjzVM.png

The background and some stuff around are animated, the clouds are generated randomly.

And as always - a low quality gif! ^^

gY8CHDw.gif

~ If you have noticed that - yup!

I've decided to use a pretty normal title instead of that kinda jokingly one. I don't think I really can give a unique subtitle as generally the plot is nearly exactly like in the show, but we'll see.

Thank you for visiting! =3

I'm really sorry for not using spoilers - The forum software is currently broken and using spoilers is impossible due to their weird behavior.

Thank you for understanding.

BlissAuthority

Dang, it feels good to be a Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Uhhhh.

If you want to avoid a C&D, you should probably have a custom title screen and name that isn't so much like the official trade dress™ of MLP.

If I saw this title screen, I'd think it was an official release.  This is the last thing a fangame wants.

Use the same fonts in a differently shaped logo, maybe.  Include a different subtitle that describes the plot and replaces "colon Friendship is Magic (colon game for computers)."  Anything that would make it not look like the real McCoy.

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
Hmm ~I didn't think about this.

Aww I'm not sure if further development is worth the time. I should have make a silly game... Or hide in the basement with this.

I'll probably change it, but I need to progress with the development to get ideas of what subtitle I could give, because I don't have any good ideas at the moment. And I think it will be taken down sooner or later just for the plot and stuff in it anyway. Either way, there's no point in hiding ~ if that has to happen then it's better for it to be sooner - less wasted work I think.

Now you made me worried and you're right. I'm not sure what to do anymore.

BlissAuthority

Dang, it feels good to be a Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's not the game itself, not the existence of a fangame; it's that you so exactly duplicated the trade dress™ of MLP that you're going to have problems.  Making it a "sillier" game won't solve that; not using the official logos will.

ETA:  my concern is merely that if I didn't know this was your fan-game, I would probably ask Hasbro if this is real.  All you need to do is make sure that this isn't a reasonable reaction to your logo, yknow?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
@BlissAuthority You got the point. I'll be wondering what could be done here then.

@Nomi LOL, that will work as well! Thanks! :D

Nomi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Know nothing about these ponys ...more into dark fantasy.

But I'm quite sure I would like to play this...

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
It's okay ~ everybody likes different things. ^^

If you could handle that... :D

Gothic Lolita

YouTube Starlet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Now you made me worried and you're right. I'm not sure what to do anymore.

As BlissAuthority mentioned it allready, try to avoid direct "stealing" from the show. This is included for the brandname "My Little Pony" and the tv show plot mostlikely. There are fan games out there, that are based on the MLP theme. But they don't go too deep into the tv show story. For the name you could use something like "Magical Land Of Equestria" or something like that. It avoids the title of the show at least. ;)
Fans will know the characters and stuff anyway, so they know it's MLP. Others will enjoy the game as it is, without caring too much, that this is a MLP game. :)

I actually called my game "Equestria Souls", so it should be fine. I avoid the main story of the show too, to avoid this copyright too. At one point I'm even that far, that I think, to only make a game with ponies instead of going for "MLP" straight up. If fans of the show are still liking it, it's fine. If not, well, may other like it. :D

Anyway, I really like your artistic skills. You're allready better then me in creating those sprites and artworks. Keep up the good work.  :) (\ô/)

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
... Then the whole game itself brings problems. =P

In that case, I'm not going to 'hide' with this - I'll take the risk. I have the concept already and I'll be sticking to it anyway. When I'll get the C&D, then I'll be trying to negotiate with them and save as much as possible by changing stuff around. ~ eventually I'll have to abandon ship. Anyway, I don't think my project is something, that anybody will be crying for except me, but I'm approaching to this pretty optimistically. Expect the worst, hope for the best...

I know I'm an idiot at the moment, but I'll definitely have to face the music sooner or later... and there is also something else behind all of this, that nobody will understand.

Anyway, changing the title and other minor details wouldn't solve the problem completely ~ for example let's take MLP: Fighting is Magic - they didn't use many of the franchise stuff besides characters and they were taken down.

Why, thank you! To be honest with everybody - not everything was made by me there. I was going to, but to save time (since there is sooooo much work as for 'one-man-army') I'm always looking for available resources first and when I'll find some, then I'm sticking to them.

In the title screen the some of the clouds, cursor and Balloon with Twilight Sparkle were made by community - I've just added/edited stuff here and there like making a background or drawing Spike to that balloon, so that, Twilight doesn't have to be forever alone and some sprites/graphics. =3

Thank you! I will! (= (Hopefully xD)

Nomi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
I guess you create your Hud with Inkscape?

Or do you use something else? :)

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
@Nomi I guess it's time to reveal silly truth. xD

... I'm using 'GIMP'. =P

Nomi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
1st Gimp is awesome

2nd ...woah? I still wonder. I was quite sure that would be vector graphics.

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
Yup, it's enough for my needs.

Though I have tried Inkscape, I can't seem to find where I could actually use it effectively. It may sound noobish, but I prefer to draw pixel-by-pixel.

If Ace would have much higher resolution, then it would be something else, because in its resolution sometimes things become badly blurred.

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other

3OkoVS8.png

'---------[ # 13 ]---------'

Ponies' Skills
 While I was working on Skill Menu I kinda got stuck, because I had to think how I would be handling skills in game to properly configure the menu.
I was wondering few days how I should go about this and I think the current settings I have should be okay, but I'm still not sure of them.

So, since each pony seem as different as the night is from the day, their special abilities in game should also be different, right?
I've just finished icons for the skill categories, so I was thinking, that to not keep this thread silent, I'll show what I have so far because there is still some work to finish the Skill Menu. =3

Each pony will have a Primary Set of Skills and Passives, some of them will also have a Secondary Set.

List of Skill Categories: 

Legend:
[ICON] Name of Category | Set | On what resources the category focuses on

xB5NqKr.png
Passives | Special | ---
Each pony will be able to bring 8 skills in total to battle, so either an offensive or a passive skill can be equipped in these slots. Equipping Passives will simply raise pony's parameters or add special features like additional projectiles when attacking etc. at cost of a skill slot. A well thought combination of these skills can give decent results. Everypony will have Passives.

C0bDtrS.png

garEslj.png
Magic | Primary | MP/EP
Twilight will have various spells, starting from simple telekinesis that will deal light damage by throwing various objects -> through magic projectiles that will deal magical damage ->  to powerful Area of Effect Spells, that at high MP and EP cost, will bring some destruction to the battle field.

Wdk0rv9.png

4hSWQwB.png
Skills | Primary | EP
Rainbow Dash will be able to use her wings to perform various tricks to deal more physical damage.

iTSDNVN.png
Weather | Secondary | MP/EP
Rainbow Dash will also be able to control weather to deal elemental damage as well as Area of Effect.

F5oFSiN.png

8RDIZv9.png
Partying | Primary | MP/EP
Pinkie Pie will always find an occasion to throw a party and battling with enemies is not an excuse for her!
She and her Party Cannon will show enemies how to party by dealing physical or magical damage. AoE abilities will be included!

xEWogfk.png
Songs | Secondary | MP/EP
Besides partying, Pinkie Pie also loves to sing! As she sings songs during their adventure, she will learn to sing them in battle as well to raise parameters of ponies and more!

EIJUEKN.png

bXxnwqj.png
Skills | Primary | EP
Applejack is a strong farmer and she will show who has the power by dealing high physical damage or using her lasso to stun enemies.
jhfgohY.png
YEEHAWs | Secondary | MP/EP
Applejack is an active pony and she will be showing this by encouraging her allies and raising party's parameters.

S0PjUoQ.png

DcqjGPO.png
Magic | Primary | MP/EP
Rarity loves shiny gems. Besides using them for her creations, she also uses them as a weapon by dealing physical or elemental damage. Rain of projectiles will be her specialty! (RIP enemies in the first row)

nEkoGG4.png

XdVSL7R.png
Animals | Primary | MP/EP
Let's be honest, Fluttershy is not an aggressive pony and even if a situation requires that, she will have troubles with defending herself. However, her beloved animals will cover her! She will be able to call various animals to deal physical or magical damage. Calling a bear will cause some troubles to enemies, while calling charming butterflies or birds will deal magical damage from light. Beware of her as she can summon all animals at once when needed!

HiicWaH.png
Support | Secondary | MP
Nopony is as kind and caring as Fluttershy. She will do her best to help her friends in need by recovering their strength.

Also, an important change is, that there will be 6 active ponies in battle, instead of 4. On Multiplayer Mode, each player will be controlling 3 ponies most of the time*.
* - dependable on story's events, sometimes players will have to control different ponies, such as Cutie Mark Crusaders or even Princesses.

That's all for now! If you have any questions and suggestions, then feel free to share them with me! ^^

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
3OkoVS8.png

'---------[ # 14 ]---------'

Skill Menu Finished!

It took way much longer, than I expected, but I finally made it!

The skill menu is completed and everything works nicely!

MCb1yAt.png

Also, I was thinking on the style of skill icons and I made few of them~

Most of skills will have their unique icons ~ Skills from 'Songs' category probably will look (almost) the same.

The background color of the icon also means something - their colors are related to element/category, so for example fire based skills will have orange background, while lightning based - yellow. All passive skills will have double-colored background taken from their category icon (two arrows).

That's true, that my icons, either for items or skills are not in RTP style and that's absolutely fine for me! ^^

fUIgy9c.png

BvoLeaS.png

As I was mentioning before - game features 'Skill Allocating System', that allows ponies to 'equip' 8 (by default) skills, either active or passive.

I'll add variety of skills and players will be able to combine skills together to create great (hopefully not OP ^^) builds.

---[ For Example ]---

There will be a completely different battle system than RM usually has - there will be hitboxes, so each skill will be different, due do various styles and sizes of projectiles. So let's take a skill that shots 3 projectiles at enemy - there may be a passive skill, that increases projectiles shoot by 1 or that increases their size or allows them to penetrate enemies ~ combining passives with active ones can give nice effects, even some that I'll probably not expect. =3

Note: These are planned features and not everything may be included in the final version.

---------------------------

wWNgcEy.png

Now let's talk about functionality.

Of course both players can take the control and do what they want without asking the second one to do something for them, though only one player can operate at one moment ~ so if P2 will click a window, then he'll be able to do what he wants without being trolled by P1. (P1 still can move his Hoof-Cursor™® around if bored ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°))

Okay, so in this menu we have these clickable objects:

- Chibi Pony Icons at the top - Players can select a pony by clicking on their lovely icon, or just press 'L' or 'R' ([Q] and [W] by default) buttons to go to the next/previous one~

- Category Icons - Select a skill category by clicking its icon. You can also change category by pressing LEFT or RIGHT while being in the Skill Window.

- Skill Window - Displays available skills with selected category ~ click the window and select skills to use them.

- Assign Window - Displays currently 'equipped' skills - Click the window and select the skill to replace it or un-equip.

Besides clickable objects there are:

- Status window - Displays simple status of selected pony. Name, HP and MP is displayed.

- Help window - Self-explanatory. It shows up only when needed (being inside a window)

Selecting an usable skill, will call a Party Window that looks like this:

wD2taHY.png

The Party Window displays only the most important information - HP and status icons below it.

Many things like arrows are moving, to not make it look too 'static', thus boring.

Low Quality GIF! =3

PEGPnA8.gif

Now there is only Equip Menu left! (The rest are kinda less important, so they can wait)

Also, I think I'll completely re-do the status screen as it's 'out of place' a little, due to different style. I think I'll make it in the style, that I made Inventory/Skills Menus ~ 'light' and colorful graphics~

Aaaaaaand I'll finally be able to start working on the maps and the actual gameplay! The demo definitely should pop-out before the end of this year. ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!

(Of course there is still the whole battle system to write, but the demo could work without that at the moment)

Maps will take forever to draw, but I hope it will not be that bad...

That's all for now! ^^

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
3OkoVS8.png

'---------[ # 15 ]---------'

Equip Menu Finished!

I admit I was kinda 'lazy' lately, but finally I've finished the Equip Menu~!

yFn1kr3.png

The menu itself works just like in the other ones~

However, the mechanics of equipment have been changed.

As some of you probably know, most of skills will deal damage based on the pony's parameters, instead of having fixed values. For example a skill, that will have 200% power will deal 30-44 damage assuming, that pony's 'Physical Damage' equals 15-22 (taken from image above).

Magic abilities will work the same way ~ the only difference is, that their damage will be based on 'Magic Power'.

The damage is based on the parameter associated to them ~ for example raising 'Power' parameter will raise 'Physical Damage' value as well.

However, the main source of damage will come from weapons, that can change these values in many ways. For example there may be weapon, that will have high amount of damage, but will heavily increase its variance. ~ Something like Physical Damage: 10-200.

gRH6s0G.png

Besides that, everything is pretty basic.

Ponies can wear 7 parts of equipment.

First four slots are nothing special ~ Gems though, will allow to customize the statistics even more~

Gems can slightly raise pony's parameters and/or yield special features, that can change many things.

c5F1lA4.png

0QPnvSX.png

There will be many gems to choose from and players even will be able to combine them to create better quality gems. Finding rare gems with special features will also be involved. Everything you love to spend hours in menus comparing stuff all over the place! =3

Basic menus are all COMPLETE!

While there still are some improvements to make, they're generally done, so the next update hopefully should contain some maps* ~ proper screenshots of gameplay etc..

* - I'll get into drawing maps ~ we'll see how far it goes! ^^

That's all for now! =3

deathsia

Pegisister
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I swear, if you weren't busy with this, I'd ask you to join my team with my rpg maker project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

When can we get this?
RPG Maker MZ Saturn.png
Saturn port when?
I'm new to rpgmaker mv, link me some good stuff to learn.
Finally, I have graduated from college and now I can put a lot more work into my game, after having not worked on it for the better part of a year.
post so i can change my profile picture ^^
Creating Some art for a fighter game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oscarcancer