JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My topic "Love Letters" turned out to be against the rules after all, because it is a forum game. But everyone who replied, including the mod who closed the topic, liked the idea and thought it could be a good writing exercise.

I think I understand why forum games are not allowed. Because when popular, it might dominate the "Latest Post" section, which is unfair to writers of other topics.

So, maybe I would like to start this for those who'd like to join, but then outside of the forum. I might start something like this still on my discord server instead.
I don't have anything set up for this on my server yet, but I thought I see if people would even want to do this at all.
So, what do you think of the idea? And would you join the writing game on discord yourself?

(Ps. This is not a complaint that the topic was shut down. I understand and I kinda knew it could happen before I even wrote it. This is just an attempt to do the game elsewhere.)

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK, unrelated, but the title made me laugh a bit.

I think it would be interesting, I'm just garbage at writing, LOL.
Good. That was my intention: To make people laugh with that title. :p

Being a good writer is not required. Actually, it might help improving your writing skills. Since doing is practice, and practice makes perfect. Anyhow, good writing is not part of the rules. ;) This is meant purely as entertainment.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah what I think happened was in the past forum games got hostile quickly, which is why the rule.

Also the title was good for a chuckle too.

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah what I think happened was in the past forum games got hostile quickly, which is why the rule.

Also the title was good for a chuckle too.
I can see how that can happen. I've lead roleplays like this before and I tried to make the rules so that it would avoid any reason for conflict. There is no character build, so there is no messing up or attacking each others character. And since the letters are supposed to be love letters, I suspect only nice words. :p

I do accept that it isn't allowed though. I wasn't trying to argue that.

But since we are on the subject... You were one of the members who called it a good writing practice. Would this have been okay if it was presented as a story writing workshop instead?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Would this have been okay if it was presented as a story writing workshop instead?
I'm fine with reopening it as a story writing workshop.

Honestly, the reason forum games are banned is ancient (like predates the official forums, its a holdover from the place I was an admin before the official forums existed) and mostly because it was mostly super vapid, low effort posting messes. Just a ton of posts with little to no actual content. (A lot of "the poster above you x" type stuff).

I don't think your "game" is really in the same category and is much more of a writing exercise, so I'll allow it.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Let me know once you open it as a writing workshop then (just @ me in the post) and I'll post a comment so people know its okd by staff then. Enjoy!

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm fine with reopening it as a story writing workshop.

Honestly, the reason forum games are banned is ancient (like predates the official forums, its a holdover from the place I was an admin before the official forums existed) and mostly because it was mostly super vapid, low effort posting messes. Just a ton of posts with little to no actual content. (A lot of "the poster above you x" type stuff).

I don't think your "game" is really in the same category and is much more of a writing exercise, so I'll allow it.
Thanks! I could make a new topic, rewrite the parts that make it look like a game, and change it into a writing exercise.

I do understand how forums games could disturb forums, though. Specially if anyone can just make up anything with their own rules. (Like I actually did...)

Edit:
Let me know once you open it as a writing workshop then (just @ me in the post) and I'll post a comment so people know its okd by staff then. Enjoy!
Oh, I got this after I wrote my reply. Should I make a new thread or do you guys prefer to open the old one?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think just for making it less cluttered I'd open a new thread.

SwordSkill

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I understand why forum games are not allowed. Because when popular, it might dominate the "Latest Post" section, which is unfair to writers of other topics.
What exactly defines a "Forum Game"?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mods might have a more specific answer, but I would define a forum game as something that encourages people to write posts but doesn't have an actual topic of conversation to discuss.

Forum topic: What do you think of this mechanic in my RPG Maker project?

Forum game: Here are 20 questions about pets, fill out your answers!

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Well forum games can be anything that is played in a forum, I guess. :p

Forum games were played a lot like 20 years ago, when facebook wasn't a thing yet and the internet was still quite new.

Examples of forum games could be:
- Writing a story together, but each only gets to write 1 line.
- Each post has to begin with the last word of the precious post

But some forum games were way more complicated, like complete RP's with a game master and points and stats and inventories.

Basically anything you can play in turns by writing posts, could be a forum game. :)

However... Our forum not-game-but-exercise has already been started, but as an exercise. :p If you want to join, you can find the topic HERE. It was allowed on the forum as an exception, because it is good writing exercise.
Would be great if you join too, I've been waiting for the next letter. :p Haha. Hope to see your letter soon!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So the Fire alarm went off 3 times in less then a half hour on my building. But my cat is so use to it going off he doesn't even run behind the couch anymore. He is just like, "This again?"
It has been brought to my attention that the name of my main robot protagonist in bio-Synthetica (R3-M1) is a Star Wars character LOL Woops. Always Google search names. The new name of my robot is now K0-R1. :kaophew:
I'm considering making my own battlers from scratch, it seems like a daunting task, but I like the look of it so much...A_Miriam3.png
I picked up running again after a long time and managed to get from 2.25km to 7km in two weeks :3 Time to get rid of those covid kilos!
Have you ever wondered what the lives of the NPC's are like in your hero's story? Come an find out with us as we play, "A Story Beside" by Wayward Prophet :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francis187