My Monsters Die Too Easily...

jdub47

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So for some reason, my monsters are dying easier than they should.

I'll give a few examples: 

I made a Minotaur enemy for a 1st boss have 500 HP, and died within 2 attacks, one that was 42, and one that was 38 damage. I also made Cockatrice enemies and one died in like 1 hit for 5 HP (it was with a mage's cane) when it has 100 HP. Then one time I test battled the Minotaur, and it died even when there was no damage taken (literally, a hit for 0 HP)

So, I apologize if this question was asked before, as it didn't look like it when I went back a few pages...But, why are my enemies dying so easily?

To put in other words, basically my monsters are ignoring the HP I edited them with. 

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We can't really tell much just based on that information.

How many battlers do you have? What are their levels? What's their ATK or MAT? What weapons or skills are they using, and what are the stats of those weapons/skills? What are the damage formulae?

Do you have any scripts added, and if so, which ones (provide links)?

I'm sure they're not ignoring the HP, but it's rather something to do with the setup of your enemies or the setup of your actors/equipment/skills.

jdub47

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Everything is default. The test was with 4 battlers at level 1 but even in the play through of the game the same thing happens. They defaulted to use a sword, cane, axe, etc. with very weak statistics. I haven't changed anything. All the weapons have attack parameter change of 10.   

No skills were used, and no special effects were added to make the enemies die after 1-2 or maybe 3 blows (or any effects at all, for that matter). I didn't add any scripts. 

When it comes down to it, unless I have some sort of instant kill effect, an enemy that I made have 500 HP shouldn't die after losing only 80. 

Prizm Daystar

Social Butt
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
When it comes down to it, unless I have some sort of instant kill effect, an enemy that I made have 500 HP shouldn't die after losing only 80. 
You might want to investigate that.  Instant kill effects would be in your weapon / skill databases as "Add State -- Knockout <n>%", <n> being the number representing the percentage chance of causing the Knockout (death) status.  By default, Knockout is normally applied at 0 HP, but any sort of attack skill or weapon that has that effect added will cause it to happen too early.

jdub47

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You might want to investigate that.  Instant kill effects would be in your weapon / skill databases as "Add State -- Knockout <n>%", <n> being the number representing the percentage chance of causing the Knockout (death) status.  By default, Knockout is normally applied at 0 HP, but any sort of attack skill or weapon that has that effect added will cause it to happen too early.
I haven't added any effects or skills that can make that happen.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does the same thing happen in a brand new project, where you make no changes to anything but the HP of the enemy?

Prizm Daystar

Social Butt
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I haven't added any effects or skills that can make that happen.
I've made two projects (non-release, just using to learn how to wield RPG Maker, MV particularly) so far, and while I've added skills and enemy attack effects that do this, everything that I've done also works as intended.

I haven't had anything die earlier than it should, in, like...ever, so far -- unless my test party is annoyingly OP'ed by something or another...and even then it was always down to 0 HP as it should be.

So...I'm really not sure what to say about this other than to take Shaz's word for this weirdness and start up a brand new project without anything added to it, and then see if the problem repeats itself.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Simple question: have you changed state #1 in any way?

The only thing that can force the game to kill with insufficient damage is if you apply state #1 - the default knockout state.

However, that state is hardcoded on the ID, not on the name, so if you changed state #1 to a different name and applied it, the enemies will still die instantly even if you believe it doing something else.

fanta77

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Im very new to rpgmaker but i was having a similar problem. The math on the damage enemies were doing to my actors didnt add up. I changed a couple things like the battleback and a screen weather effect i had. Eventually i got it to work. I know it sounds funny but my point is try different settings and events and such. Good luck!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
changing a battleback and a screen weather effect will not change battle damage. You must have done something else as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Coffee + Silk Coconut Milk + Splenda Zero = Not ..... awful :/ .
My new RPG Maker music pack, Emotional: Redemption, is now in progress and will be coming to RPG Maker soon. It is an album that focuses on emotional themes including the darker forms of sorrow and despair. Below is a demo of a composition from the album.

Please watch out for your hands when handling chests! XD Did this a few days ago, it was fun to animate

Apparently, it's illegal to be drunk on licensed premises: pubs, etc. It's illegal for keepers of public houses to permit drunkenness and disorderly conduct. lol.
Pillow Hero - A 16-bit arcade styled puzzle game, update 0.5 is live now on Itch.io! --> https://bifrost09.itch.io/pillow-hero

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toanbeokame