Not open for further replies.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The only thing worrying me about ALL this, is the cool and awesome mods that no one is gonna be allowed to use now.

There is a mod/patch that adds the ability to animate monsters, there's a patch/mod that allows cool lighting effect.

And i heard a rumor about a mod that expands the color limit for images.And i know there a bunch of other really cool mods/patches.

What about those?

I mean.. does this not create a situation where those can't be used?

Like a legality issue?

I would hate to see all those cool things and all that hard work go to waste.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're looking at it from the wrong direction:

Those mods were always illegal - the difference to then is only that then the RM2K3 was also illegal, and now there is a legal version of the RM.

But that does not change the fact that any hack/mod of the program and/or DLL's is and always was illegal. This "situation" is not created now, it was always the same.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes but people will still want to use them, they're very cool and most of them just add more you can do for the games you make. I wish they would consider that.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If they are in breach of the EULA, they cannot be used. This is not a new thing. All the makers have those terms.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm not trying to fight or argue. I just don't see people wanting to stop using those.

I can see people wanting to be able to legally own this maker, but i don't see the tons of people who use those to just wanna stop wanting to use them after all this time.

And i was just thinking about how this would go down.

Honestly i would have thought by now someone would have come up with some sort of middle ground that makes things more legal.

I don't know.... just a lot of thoughts jumped into my brain when i realized it was legally released in english.

To be fare, i don't use the patches, i just know a lot who do.

I don't even use the illegal translation.

In fact i own a legal copy in the box, of the japanese version.

Necromus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
The only legit solution would be Degica releasing those plugins (bascily all/most of the stuff Cherry did over the years), and seeing how much of a struggle getting out the resolution DLL for Ace seems to be, I highly doubt anything like that would ever happen.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Degica CANNOT legalise those mods and plugins, and that is completely independent of any discussion about the EULA.

1) If they would allow those plugins, they would have to provide support for the editor with those plugins - plugins written with unknown code, unknown bugs, unknown compatibility issues and so on. And to pay that support from the reduced price of the RM2K3 - absolutely impossible

2) What if one of those mod programmers waits until someone makes a (now legal) commercial release of a 2K3 game with those plugins and then demands part of the sales? They could easily say that they never allowed the mod for commercial release because that was impossible with the pirated versions, but now that there is a legal version they want their share?

Add to that the already existing problems as its difficult to tell which resources for old games are legal and which were rips as even the program was illegal and no one cared...

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Damn... that sucks.

Oh well.. i'm hearing rumors of a new RPG Maker some time soon..

Can't help but wonder what it will be like.

Anyhow, i was just sharing my thoughts.

Milena

The woman of many questions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's ridiculous for Degica then. I found this in Enterbrain's twitter account:

RPGツクール2003にあった変数やスイッチのサーチ機能ですが、VXAceなどでも、あったらいいなぁ・・そう思う方たくさんいるとお聞きしました。 RPGツクール2000向けでは、こんな素晴らしいデバッガーを制作された方もおられます。 http://www.sue445.net/downloads/rpgdebug.html 

They are recommending you to download this debugger: http://www.sue445.net/downloads/rpgdebug.html

which is completely a new extension or modification of the existing RPG Maker 2003 and 2000. Does that mean that Enterbrain themselves are breaking the EULA? Certainly not.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
which is completely a new extension or modification of the existing RPG Maker 2003 and 2000. Does that mean that Enterbrain themselves are breaking the EULA? Certainly not.
No, that means that that specific debugger got a licence to be used. It does not mean that the same licence can be applied to any other patch.
Enterbrain and Degica can give exceptions to any EULA they have given, and they can give legal access to information without reverse engineering - that does not mean that someone doing the same or similiar with a patch that did NOT get legal access would be allowed.

But as I wrote in another topic, there will be a rewritten EULA to clarify what is allowed and what is not - but again, that what is decided there will be allowed because Enterbrain decided that something is an exception or generally allowed.

jay_are

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The limitations of RM2003 have always been a concern, and they're a stronger concern in 2015 now that users have had their freedom with scripting introduced in RMXP.

I never understood how to write scripts, but I could at least modify certain things to my liking and it would be perfectly legal.

In RM2003, these simple things are not accepted.

My suggestion is to be able to make RM2003 a more relevant tool in this age, by developing an add-on program accepted by the rules that would allow user requested features like adding 1 splash screen, maybe modifying the EXE's icon, glyph graphics, increasing color limitations, and other popular tweaks that would work similar to scripting. With the reduced price of RM2003, I would even pay for a tool like that, and it seems a necessity to many.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah there are a few things about the software that bug me personally.

The current thing irking me the most is the 256 color limit.. that and no loop points for MP3s.

And how hard would it be to have a traditional cursor?

The surrounding box thing never looks nice to me for selections.

jay_are

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
At least there are workarounds for the loop points, I can create those myself by having 1 MP3 with the intro and another MP3 with the rest.

That function would mess up though if the player clicks another window while the intro MP3 happens to be active, cause then the intro will keep looping.

It's the only way I can do it.

The color limit sure annoys some people, but not me. You're probably using Photoshop or any other software that just happens to be impractical with handling that type of thing. There should be a software that's to your liking and which has an easy set to 256 color mode.

I'm only saying that cause it's very unlikely that they improve these things :p  but yeah, it would be cool.

The glyph graphic though has no workaround :(

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There used to be a work around for the glyphs... but it does not work on the newly translated one.

My hope is the next RPG Maker goes about things differently.

And yeah i use photoshop, but that has nothing to do with it.

I use a lot of shading and blendings and variants, and by the time i reduce the color for the png down to 256, all the detail and awesomeness is lost.

I end up using tilesets just for auto tiles, and events for objects like on maps i use events for castles and such... it's the only work around.

I'm just sick of having to do F***ING work arounds in every damn maker that comes out for things i want to do.

It's enough to drive a person mad!

jay_are

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Can you show an example of the awesomeness that gets lost? Like can you upload a PNG before reducing colors and a PNG after?

I'm willing to check if there are other methods that wouldn't affect it much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

If it gets 6 degrees hotter we've reach 100
I am finally done making the 'superbosses' in my game!
I'm happy because oh my gosh they were a lot of work, but I'm also sad because I love database work... And also because I loved making stupid powerful bosses ._.
Question for anyone who reads Slip into Ruby or Jump into Javascript: do I sometimes get too "explainy" with the methods/functions? Would it be more useful if I stuck to explaining what the code is doing rather than also delving into minutiae of the technical side of it?
That moment when you try to figure out a color scheme for an alien ship so that it's something other than "Grey on Grey".
It's up for viewing! See what happened when EquestriAlert got tested in 1997... or was it a test? Did somepony hack the system? Or did somepony push the wrong switch? Even Adagio Dazzle (the owner of the channel) has no clue.

Can you put the pieces together? Don't worry, the game isn't over yet! There's more pieces to add on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowsoul