My PC does not 'spawn' & How do I make moving clouds?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by JustinK, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustinK

JustinK Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello community!

I'm new to this forum (and also kind of to RPG Maker) and I need your help!
    (Long post ahead, i'm sorry)

EDIT1:
    Realizing you start as transparent, but don't turn it off anywhere isn't that smart ;). Now I can see my character, but I cannot move it.
    EDIT2:
    It turns out the parallel Fadein Screen event, was not set to parallel. Now everything is working as it should, problem 1 is solved!
    EDIT3:
    Both problems are solved, my solutions:
    • Make sure you change back the transparency when you start transparent
    • Autorun events can (and probably will) block your movement
    • You can set autonomous movement for an event, to start from the beginning again I moved right first, set transparency on, then moved left and then set transparency off. Don't also forget to keep looping this movement.

I am having 2 problems:
    • for some reason, my PC does not 'spawn' (I will explain this later)
    • I was wondering how do I make moving clouds (which will also be explained later)
    Problem 1: 'spawning' my PC

Okay, so the main idea is that in the introduction, you see a 'movie', afterwards you can choose Race, Gender and Name. When this is chosen the player will be transferred to their starter area, but this won't work. I change the actor graphic to the corresponding Race and Gender, but it does not seem to apply. Below I will insert to pictures of my event(s): Screenshot1.png Screenshot2.png Screenshot3.png Screenshot4.png Screenshot5.png
    Now the player will be transferred to the starter area corresponding to the race; the only event on those maps are parallel events with one line; Fadein Screen.
    Everything works and the player gets transferred to the corresponding area, but I do not see my character, nor can I move it.

Problem 2: Moving clouds
    This, hopefully, is a little bit easier. What I want is clouds to move from the left side of the map, to the right side of the map, then they should move 'past' the border on the right side (so they should go invisible) and then they should come in from the left side of the map again. I have found some things on the internet about storing variables for the X and Y position, but I cannot get it to work. Does somebody has a piece of code for me I can edit (or something like that)?

Screenshot6.png

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  2. DeviTheHuman

DeviTheHuman (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not sure about your first problem, but the moving cloud one can be done using the Set Movement Route option. It's located on the second page of the events menu. You can access this by going under Autonomous Movement and selecting custom and then clicking on the route button or you can also program it manually in the content page. The Autonomous Movement option may be the best one for what you want to do.

You can set the cloud's travel path, turn transparency on/off, and have the cycle repeat. If you manually program the pat using the content box, you'll need to set the event itself to parallel process to ensure it runs at the same time as other processes; otherwise, everything on the screen will freeze up. You'll need to set the cloud graphic in the image box to ensure it appears on screen.

Hopefully this helped.

JustinK likes this.
  3. JustinK

JustinK Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes! It helped very much!

I did exactly like you set, set my movement route to (transparent off, move right times a lot, transparent on, move left times a lot) and now it is moving like it should.

Thanks for your help!

4. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As for your first problem, not being able to move. Can you move at all - like, turn in a circle? This would indicate your tileset passage settings are wrong and you spawned in an area marked that you are not able to walk on it.

If you can't move at all, this suggests that you have an autorun event on the new map playing and you won't be able to move until it is done. If you have an autorun event on the new page, make sure you have set it to turn off by using a self-switch at the end of the event that triggers a second empty page to turn on.

JustinK likes this.
  5. JustinK

JustinK Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I already got it working, but indeed, it was an autorun event stopping me from moving. By setting the event to parallel I fixed it.
    Thanks for your reply!

6. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.