My RPG Maker game was noticed by a company!!

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, I'm with ATT and Fin on this one. How do you even know that the real company has contacted you? And you've asked if this is a good thing. People are saying, no it isn't. It's a scam. You refuse to listen to them. I and many others are failing to see the point of this thread unless it's just you wanting to brag about your "publishing offer". I wish you luck in your future game endeavours, and I really hope you don't fall into anything.

A_Higher_Plane

Spiritual person, self-improvement geek, Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I'm with ATT and Fin on this one. How do you even know that the real company has contacted you? And you've asked if this is a good thing. People are saying, no it isn't. It's a scam. You refuse to listen to them. I and many others are failing to see the point of this thread unless it's just you wanting to brag about your "publishing offer". I wish you luck in your future game endeavours, and I really hope you don't fall into anything.

How do i know? Well they will make me download the SDK API from their website, yodo1.com . it must the real company if I download from their official website.

Btw, how exactly can this company exploit my very, VERY unfinished game/product? They have even said that I will work with someone to receive feedback on how to improve my game. That is free QA which I need.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
How do i know? Well they will make me download the SDK API from their website, yodo1.com . it must the real company if I download from their official website.

Btw, how exactly can this company exploit my very, VERY unfinished game/product? They have even said that I will work with someone to receive feedback on how to improve my game. That is free QA which I need.
All I'm seeing from your posts about this are red flags, and I wouldn't touch this "deal" with a bargepole, to be honest.

Ask yourself this: if your game is as unfinished, unpolished and unnoteworthy as you say it is, *why would they be interested in it for benevolent reasons*?

Do you even know what it is they're expecting you to install or what it's going to add/do?

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All I'm seeing from your posts about this are red flags, and I wouldn't touch this "deal" with a bargepole, to be honest.

Ask yourself this: if your game is as unfinished, unpolished and unnoteworthy as you say it is, *why would they be interested in it for benevolent reasons*?

Do you even know what it is they're expecting you to install or what it's going to add/do?
Because they like my RM game and want to give me a chance. They are just looking for more customers and maybe would take just about anyone. I did tell them about the game.

They have the whole $150 million company reputation tarnished if their API is a scam. Why would they do so?

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Btw, they aren't ever asking me for money.

Here are their Terms of Service: https://mas.yodo1.com/about/team-conditions
And here's something: https://developers.yodo1.com/knowledge-base/easy-steps-for-releasing-with-mas/
Here are thousands of satisfied customers: https://www.yodo1.com/customer-stories

You guys may be a bit too cynical about this company, and overall.

I have spoken to one of their reps about this thing and here is one other thing that he has said: "we really don't need to scam a solo indie developer like you who doesn't even have a game finished, or a product that can at least generate money. We are partnering with big companies like transformers franchise and SAMRIO. Do you REALLY think we will waste our time scamming you for a game that still isn't even available mate?"

He also wrote this to me: "
We are offering to help you optimize your monetization strategy, and help you get more organic downloads, also help you improve the Ads Placements in your game so you don't mess with your users' experience. If you feel this is not for you, don't worry, you are free to go and look for another company.

We can not pay attention to any crazy guy who wants to call us scammers in a forum, our actions and collaborations on thousands of other games speak for us."

Skymin

Shadow Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Meh. I'll play devil's advocate here:
If nothing else, you can just try to "scam" them back by just rushing through the development cycle of this game and call it "finished" and let them put their ads all over it assuming you also get a share of the profit assuming this will be a commercial game.

They clearly don't even know what Rpg Maker is, so who's to say you just do the bare minimum in everything, make the story have a clear "ending" and advertise it as a game full of unique characters and maps since they aren't going to know better anyway (after incorporating the mechanics into Unity)? Afterward, continue to make your true intended game behind their back so you don't have to worry about if your intended game gets harmed from them credibility-wise.

Sum up: If they ensure you'll get some of the shares in money, then either go to a bank and get a brand new card with zero balance if you trust them or nope the heck out if YOU think it's shady.

If your game will be for non-commercial use then there's literally no reason to trust them imo because you're only going to get endless complaints at all the ads in your game and thus worse reviews. Worst-case scenario, the game ends up with such a bad rep, it'd actually hurt your reputation in the long run.

Last edited:

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Meh. I'll play devil's advocate here:
If nothing else, you can just try to "scam" them back by just rushing through the development cycle of this game and call it "finished" and let them put their ads all over it assuming you also get a share of the profit assuming this will be a commercial game.

They clearly don't even know what Rpg Maker is, so who's to say you just use default assets for everything, make the story have a clear "ending" and advertise it as a game full of unique characters and maps since they aren't going to know better anyway? Afterward, continue to make your true intended game behind their back so you don't have to worry about if your intended game gets harmed from them credibility-wise.

Sum up: If they ensure you'll get some of the shares in money, then either go to a bank and get a brand new card with zero balance if you trust them or nope the heck out if YOU think it's shady.

If your game will be for non-commercial use then there's literally no reason to trust them imo because you're only going to get endless complaints at all the ads in your game and thus worse reviews. Worst-case scenario, the game ends up with such a bad rep, it'd actually hurt your reputation in the long run.
Cool answer! But they can't use an RM game because it cannot install the API. They can only use engines like Unity, Godot and Unreal, for mobile, or for pure Android/Android Studio SDK API.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also take this:
MAS Yodo1.png

Skymin

Shadow Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Cool answer! But they can't use an RM game because it cannot install the API. They can only use engines like Unity, Godot and Unreal, for mobile, or for pure Android/Android Studio SDK API.
I meant after you attempt to recreate the game into something like Unity as you mentioned in your first post. (Double-check my last post for more clarity.) Do note like everyone else, I personally wouldn't risk it myself considering the combination of admitting they don't even know what RPG Maker is despite somehow finding your game in addition to the rather unprofessional reply they gave back.

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
"we really don't need to scam a solo indie developer like you who doesn't even have a game finished, or a product that can at least generate money. We are partnering with big companies like transformers franchise and SAMRIO. Do you REALLY think we will waste our time scamming you for a game that still isn't even available mate?"
Did they actually put those words in caps? Then why are THEY wasting their time wanting to work with you in a game that's "still not even available"?
Consider how are they're kind of making you feel bad and looking down on you talking to you like that.
What do you make of it, @A_Higher_Plane?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Btw, they aren't ever asking me for money.

Here are their Terms of Service: https://mas.yodo1.com/about/team-conditions
And here's something: https://developers.yodo1.com/knowledge-base/easy-steps-for-releasing-with-mas/
Here are thousands of satisfied customers: https://www.yodo1.com/customer-stories

You guys may be a bit too cynical about this company, and overall.

I have spoken to one of their reps about this thing and here is one other thing that he has said: "we really don't need to scam a solo indie developer like you who doesn't even have a game finished, or a product that can at least generate money. We are partnering with big companies like transformers franchise and SAMRIO. Do you REALLY think we will waste our time scamming you for a game that still isn't even available mate?"

He also wrote this to me: "
We are offering to help you optimize your monetization strategy, and help you get more organic downloads, also help you improve the Ads Placements in your game so you don't mess with your users' experience. If you feel this is not for you, don't worry, you are free to go and look for another company.

We can not pay attention to any crazy guy who wants to call us scammers in a forum, our actions and collaborations on thousands of other games speak for us."
Asking someone if they're scamming you will never, ever result in them saying "Yep, we totally are!"

Also did you read the part where they'll never pay you a penny unless your game makes at least $300 in a given month?

I'm not saying this isn't legit, I'm saying it smells, and I'm saying that from literally decades of seeing people jumping into something that looks too good to be true where it turns out that it was. You asked how we think this sounds and we told you, good luck with it.

There's also the fact (verified from a post about this on Reddit) that you have absolutely no control over what ads are shown in your game, or the kind of content those ads contain. And the TOS prevent you from using any other third-party code or SDKs, which may limit certain frameworks in Unity, but I don't know what you'd be using so that may not be a problem for you.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did they actually put those words in caps? Then why are THEY wasting their time wanting to work with you in a game that's "still not even available"?
Consider how are they're kind of making you feel bad and looking down on you talking to you like that.
What do you make of it, @A_Higher_Plane?
1) What do you mean by words in caps?
2)Personally, IDK. But one "weird" thing that has just "jumped out at me" is that this game, who works for the company and is a gamer, is like "Oh how I can't wait to play your game!". Isn't that a "warning sign"? Now IDK what that means but THAT looks weird, even suspicious. IDK if these guys have beaten the very first fight of my game.
3) How are they "making me feel bad"?

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Asking someone if they're scamming you will never, ever result in them saying "Yep, we totally are!"

Also did you read the part where they'll never pay you a penny unless your game makes at least $300 in a given month?

I'm not saying this isn't legit, I'm saying it smells, and I'm saying that from literally decades of seeing people jumping into something that looks too good to be true where it turns out that it was. You asked how we think this sounds and we told you, good luck with it.

There's also the fact (verified from a post about this on Reddit) that you have absolutely no control over what ads are shown in your game, or the kind of content those ads contain. And the TOS prevent you from using any other third-party code or SDKs, which may limit certain frameworks in Unity, but I don't know what you'd be using so that may not be a problem for you.
Oh, IDK about the $300-minimum-to-withdraw part. That's not a lot of money but still...

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oh, IDK about the $300-minimum-to-withdraw part. That's not a lot of money but still...
It's under the "Payment" section of the terms of service:

• Payments. Subject to the minimum applicable threshold for payment determined by the Developer, provided that, such threshold shall be no less than US$300 (the “Threshold”), Yodo1 shall pay or cause the Payment Service Provider to pay Developer the Net Revenue for a given Payment Period within fifteen (15) days after the end of such Payment Period. To the extent that the Net Revenue for any given Payment Period is less than the applicable Threshold, such Net Revenue shall be paid together with the payment for the next period in which cumulative accrued but unpaid the Net Revenue exceeds the Threshold.
I'd also be somewhat concerned about this, because although it's fairly boilerplate "other payment error" as determined by the company could come back to bite you in the ass:

• Overpayment and Error. In the event of any overpayment or other payment error (as determined by Yodo1), whether as a result of inaccurate information from a third party or otherwise, Yodo1 may in its sole discretion: (i) deduct any overpayments or amounts associated with other payment errors from future payments due to you; and/or (ii) require reimbursement in full of any such amounts, which Developer agrees to remit to Yodo1 in full within seven (7) business days of request. Yodo1 reserves the right to deduct from any payments due or payable to you any amounts that Developer may owe Yodo1 or any of its Affiliates in connection with any product or service.

peq42_

Yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese(BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really don't want to sound rude, but if anyone calling itself a company was surprised/amused by that project, its definitely a trap. The game is whats called "just another rpg maker game", containing nothing but default assets, songs, menus, visual, default names, default dungeons/maps,etc and a overused plot.

Don't fall for it.

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
When they say "REALLY" that's sarcastic and unprofessional (and in caps, capital letters), as @Skymin said. I don't know if he meant that part, but at least we agree that they're unprofessional about giving answers.
How they're making you feel bad? I don't know if you felt bad, but they're using inverse psychology, like "oh, you're not such a big deal, and we're making you favor here". I'm used to seeing that kind of behavior, it's a narcissist red flag. I've read a lot about those tactics, I know them well.
Personally, I'd never work with someone who treats me like that.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I really don't want to sound rude, but if anyone calling itself a company was surprised/amused by that project, its definitely a trap. The game is whats called "just another rpg maker game", containing nothing but default assets, songs, menus, visual,etc and a overused plot.

Don't fall for it.
From what I've read about them on Reddit, they basically send out multitudes of these emails to a bunch of developers to see what sticks.

Skymin

Shadow Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
When they say "REALLY" that's sarcastic and unprofessional (and in caps, capital letters), as @Skymin said. I don't know if he meant that part, but at least we agree that they're unprofessional about giving answers.
How they're making you feel bad? I don't know if you felt bad, but they're using inverse psychology, like "oh, you're not such a big deal, and we're making you favor here". I'm used to seeing that kind of behavior, it's a narcissist red flag. I've read a lot about those tactics, I know them well.
Personally, I'd never work with someone who treats me like that.
Exactly my point. I was first just going to play devil's advocate to give him a different perspective on the matter, but the combination between the unprofessional "hustler" vibe in their reply plus the fine print Trihan found in terms of payments just scream a big "no-no" even more than it already was.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Guys, I am so split on this. Can you at least tell me about this that I have already mentioned: This guy seems desperate to play my game. He has several times has said how excited he is to play a game that isn't even in the prototype stage of development. This is the most suspicious thing to me, but IDK.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The worst text you can get from a friend "You left your webcam on!!!
When you start recoloring your character because lawsuits are expensive:

lawsuits are bad.png
Been busy in Fort Myers and I'm spending tonight and tomorrow in Orlando. Then I go home on Tuesday by train (I take the Amtrak) and rest up before work on Wednesday.
I'm going to make a thread on the forum asking an interesting question... about the next RPG Maker!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown-Tale