My RPG Maker game was noticed by a company!!

A_Higher_Plane

Spiritual person, self-improvement geek, Game Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@A_Higher_Plane I guess we are actually similar age then! I was born in 1990, so 31 rn. Gawd, I dreaded hitting 30 for the longest time, lol.
Hey I was born (early) 1990 too! I began making games early 2011 at the age of 21. I wonder if I am so gullible in part because I am a schizophrenic and a bit disconnected from reality. Maybe this is why I have some strange beliefs too. I also don't like the normal and this is partially why I am into fantasies like video gaming.

@bgillisp I appreciate your positive comments and support towards me! IDK how I was almost scammed.

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure what age has to do with it. If so, then older people get scammed online waaaaaaaaaay more often then young people. :p

Anyhow, try whois and see if they are who they say they are. If they are indeed scammers, then the info you get from the whois protocol will be a lot different then the info they gave you. (Like, if they say they are in New York, but the protocol says the site is registered in Florida, you know they are scammers. If their info is legit, then it becomes way less likely. Scammers tend to lie about their location and other info that might get them caught.)

Just curious... Which game company are we talking about?

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmmmmm... Their site looks legit. They even have a (very limited) page on wikipedia.

I must confess: I'm split between scam or not... Man, why is this so hard? :p

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay someone now saw some of their website links and isn't even sure if this company is a scam or not. Weird. Maybe I'm not the only one really confused here?

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmmmmm... Their site looks legit. They even have a (very limited) page on wikipedia.

I must confess: I'm split between scam or not... Man, why is this so hard? :p
The company seems legit. But the representative speaking to OP doesn't seem legit at all. You gotta ascertain whether you're truly dealing with the company as a whole/entity, or just the guy spamming emails on Reddit and other social media cuz his boss is pressuring him to meet some kind of quota.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But before I had posted what the rep has said to me, here, everyone and I mean everyone, here had said that the company itself isn't legit at all. BTW, the rep is located in Buenos Aires and I could talk to any rep from the company at any time after making an appointment.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I simply meant "legit" as in it's an actual company that does actual business as opposed to an organization of unknown origin and character. I didn't mean that this company is "legit" in the sense of applying respectable business practices, cuz they're clearly not.

Animebryan

And like a Phoenix, I raise from my ashes!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What would you guys have me do in order to make constant money? Here are some ideas:

• Finish my college with a degree in Information Systems and apply for entry-level jobs as a programmer.
  • Apply for a "legitimate" company or studio to work as a video game developer.
  • Work as a freelancer online on websites like Upwork. I doubt that I can keep my it constant like a job.
  • Create my own games and publish/market them with a publisher. IDK if I can do this.
  • Create my own studio with staff and make games. But I can't afford it.
Oh for the love of god! You're in College?! Are you paying out of your own pocket? Scholarship? Student Loans? Because if you're paying out of pocket or by student loans then you are already digging yourself a massive Debt Crater that not even filing for bankruptcy can get you out of.

You really want to 'make constant money'? Get a job. That simple. Save up, while working on whatever you're working on currently. After saving up a few grand, hire a development team or pay for commission work. That will lead you on a path to becoming a indie developer, but not guaranteed (nothing in life is, except Death & Taxes).

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a degree in Information Systems, or rather, I double majored in Supply Chain and Information Systems. I have used my degree exactly 0 times and have gotten 0 jobs relating to my degree. I graduated almost a decade ago, btw. So take what you will from that. Oh and...why are you in college at 31yo? I hope you aren't like a super-duper-uber senior lol. As in, did you not go to college right after high school? If not, what did you do between HS and college? I'd feel so weird going back to college now and hanging out w/ 18-22yo. Unless it's going back for a Master's degree (or PHD lol), then that'd make a lot more sense.

There are jobs nowadays that don't hinge on whether you pass an interview or whatnot. For example, Uber, Lyft, Doordash, etc... Or, if you got a bit of disposable $ saved, you can do stocks. I recommend options, specifically but there is a learning curve and it's extremely high-risk high-reward though (much more so than regular stocks). With options, you can easily double your investment in a few days. Hell, you can even get a 5-10x return on a single trade (if you play ur cards right). But you really need the discipline to not "gamble" if you go that route.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay someone now saw some of their website links
have you even read what we posted before?

because back on the third page I already posted that I run yodo1 through whois and received a lot of red flags from that.
It is easy to miss for a later poster like @JohnDoeNews comes to this tpic, but you as the OP should have read that.

always remember: scammers need to make their scam believable or they won't get many victims from it.
and you still consider this company legit after all the red flags found and all the info on how they could fake their data (especially while being behind a cover like chinese companies with the restirctions in place by the chinese government on any access to the inside of their country).

are you that desperate for money or really that stupid?
If it is the former- then you are a prime target for scammers, because of course they target those people who grasp for last straws first as those usually stop thinking when given even a tiny and wrong shred of hope.

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I had asked them why they had liked my game and they had said that it is so Zelda-like game. But this is an RPG game like the SNES/GBA/DS RPG games and not like Zelda!
That was the fun part xD But for me it's a red flag.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As far as I know, game dev isn't a super stable job to begin with. So you might need to get a backup job until you take off in game dev.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh I'm in college because I have a disability and can't take too many classes at once. I have also started a bit late due to the disability. I receive financial aid for college. If I finish this semester successfully, I will need just 7 more classes to graduate. Some people start late for things like working before or other reasons too.

Yeah I've read what was posted before. I have read all of it. I won't work with the company.

Last edited:

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The company seems legit. But the representative speaking to OP doesn't seem legit at all. You gotta ascertain whether you're truly dealing with the company as a whole/entity, or just the guy spamming emails on Reddit and other social media cuz his boss is pressuring him to meet some kind of quota.
True. The site / company might be legit, everything else is shady.

It is even possible they don't even work for Yodo1.

@OP: If you want to make money with your game, here is a few better ways to do so:

- Charge money for your full game. Even if it is 99ct per copy.
- Post a HTML version of your game on your website and put 2 ads next to or under the game. (Not in the game, but on screen around the game. Will be hidden when playing at full screen)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

ScreenShot_5_24_2022_8_43_32.png
the last post was of the 2 bosses you'll fight in the high school... Principal Heiman and Mary, Mary, Mary... aka Mary Mars Mcqueen, the captain of the girl's wrestling team. Here's a view of the inside of said high school, Autumn Bay High.
So the Fire alarm went off 3 times in less then a half hour on my building. But my cat is so use to it going off he doesn't even run behind the couch anymore. He is just like, "This again?"
It has been brought to my attention that the name of my main robot protagonist in bio-Synthetica (R3-M1) is a Star Wars character LOL Woops. Always Google search names. The new name of my robot is now K0-R1. :kaophew:
I'm considering making my own battlers from scratch, it seems like a daunting task, but I like the look of it so much...A_Miriam3.png
I picked up running again after a long time and managed to get from 2.25km to 7km in two weeks :3 Time to get rid of those covid kilos!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paperhartss