Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have two problems that i desperately need help with

1: I have a walk cycle for a character and it only shows 3 animations (1 row) instead of all 12 (4 rows). I've tried everything and it's not working :((

2: I want to change my main character for my game but everything I do doesn't work

Any help is very much appreciated since I'm on a time crunch and new to MZ. Also any visuals are very helpful! Thank you all!!

coyotecraft

Mythographer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I believe that means you have "$" at the start of the filename
So it's treating it as a single character sheet instead of a set of 8

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no, @coyotecraft , $ has nothing to do with walking cycles. even with a full sheet this will only mean that the sheet has four different sprites with 3-frame-walking cycles.

@Chrysalism_Tears
1: this is because the walking cycle for all sprites is ALWAYS 3 frames by default.
to be more exact, the walking cycle is 1-2-3-2-1-2-3-2-1 and so on for all default sprites.

there are plugins that change that, but even in those cases you have to fit your sprite to the plugin and reprogram the engine accordingly, and very few people do that because of the work involved.

2: Then you do something wrong.
unfortunately we can't help you unless you tell us what you did and what the results are.
without details we can only guess, and my first guess would be that you didn't change the setting of the starting party in the database (system tab).
but there are half a dozen other possible things that you could have done wrong, so we need screenshots of how you tried to change the character.

coyotecraft

Mythographer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Andar consider that Chrysalism is new and doesn't share your vocabulary.
Walk Cycle means Character Sheet
3 Animations means individual stepping frames.
12 rows means 12 columns, 12 frames across a row of 4 characters with 3 frames each.

Imagine if Chrysalis Edited Actor1_1.png but called it $Actor1_1.png.
It would appear to be dividing the sheet into 3 frames instead of 12

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
  1. A character block comprises 12 frames:
    • 3 columns = stepping animation frames: left, middle, right;
    • 4 rows = facing directions: down, left, right, up.
    Normally character sheets split into 8 character blocks: 2 rows, 4 columns. If you put a $ at the start of the sheet's filename, it will be treated as 1 big character block instead. (You can see examples of this in the default assets present in a new project.)
    If you want characters to have more than 3 stepping frames in each direction, the easiest option would be to use a plugin, e.g.

2. I guess you changed stuff on the database's Actors tab, but didn't change the Starting Party list on the System 1 tab. Otherwise, like Andar said, more information could help.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Andar

Hello! So sorry my reply is late but I did in fact change the starting party and (Im pretty sure) my character is registered but when i try to play with them it doesn't appear. I change the face and everything but it simply doesn't want to appear even though i've tested it out that it is possible for an NPC to have all the changed settings

As for the walk cycles, I shall look through what caethyril sent and see if it doesn't work or not but im pretty sure it's something on my part that could be easily fixed bc I didn't add $ or anything to the file name just changed one of the preexisting actors

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but when i try to play with them it doesn't appear.
as I said above, if the tips so far don't help then we need to see what you did.
at minimum a screenshot of the actor in the database and a screenshot of the system tab with all its setting to start looking what else could be set wrong.

and in case of the walk cycle that would require attaching your sprite for us to see what is needed to handle it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wyy27