HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So, I was working with a team a while ago on a game called Cultivation Voyage. It got cancelled due to collaboration problems, but this has been my dream for a long time, so I'm taking it on myself. I'm not using any of the same ideas or characters as before. So here's my new story.

Synopsis
Amaterasu has committed unspeakable crimes on [currently unnamed island]. After many years of exile, they have decided to return to the island with a new name and face (all of this can be decided with a character select screen). Do you wish to change your ways and befriend the inhabitants, or do wish to (literally) backstab them all?

Here's the catch: If you choose the genocide option, you need to build up your strength, which you have lost from all of those years in exile. Do so by building up a repour as a meek farmer who fights off monsters.

If you choose to befriend people, don't give them any reason to suspect that you're a wanted criminal. Be kind to all you meet.

Characters
This game so far has 10 NPCs, all based on various myths of different cultures. You have two pets to choose from as well, who will accompany you in battle.

What I have done
So, currently, I've got two base engines. One is for the farming aspect, and one is for me to test my battle system (which I'm eventing). The farming core allows me to spawn various things (like crop plots and furniture) and move them around. The building works, but not the growing plants just yet because I don't have a day system in place. Thankfully, a lot of the things that need to be done for this game were tested and proven doable in Ace from the previous game, so that takes a lot of work off of my plate. I did have to redo the building system because I found the old one unintuitive and complicated.
For the battle system, it's a basic ABS which currently has basic melee and range attacks implemented.

Images
1648749970225.png

sprite base.png

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Why not just ask the rest of the team if you can finish it yourself, while giving them credit for their work?

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This definitely sounds like an interesting concept. I would be interested in testing it out whenever you have something playable.

Although your back walk cycle doesn't look right, it is just the front wak cycle with the head on reverse. The motions of walking seem too dramatic, here's a tutorial on how to animate a walk cycle. This might give you an idea on how to make a walk cycle.

Also lastly on next game I am drafting also has Amaterasu, but as a God and not as a character like in your project.

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Why not just ask the rest of the team if you can finish it yourself, while giving them credit for their work?
They're not too keen on me finishing it myself because a lot of the game was their idea. We all kind of had equal parts in the game's development, and it was as much my partner's dream game as it was mine. So I just decided to make a different game in the same genre. Also, their characters are an integral part of the game's story and I'm not allowed to use them, which leaves me a little lost.

This definitely sounds like an interesting concept. I would be interested in testing it out whenever you have something playable.

Although your back walk cycle doesn't look right, it is just the front wak cycle with the head on reverse. The motions of walking seem too dramatic, here's a tutorial on how to animate a walk cycle. This might give you an idea on how to make a walk cycle.

Also lastly on next game I am drafting also has Amaterasu, but as a God and not as a character like in your project.
I actually know how to animate a walk cycle with all of the frames. My main issue is animating it with only 3 frames, because I don't have a reference of what key frames to copy.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They're not too keen on me finishing it myself because a lot of the game was their idea. We all kind of had equal parts in the game's development, and it was as much my partner's dream game as it was mine. So I just decided to make a different game in the same genre. Also, their characters are an integral part of the game's story and I'm not allowed to use them, which leaves me a little lost.

I actually know how to animate a walk cycle with all of the frames. My main issue is animating it with only 3 frames, because I don't have a reference of what key frames to copy.
It can be a lot harder to consolidate a walk cycle considering it naturally uses more frames. Maybe try using the contact step as your movement step. Maybe, try looking at the RTP sprites or other developer RPG Maker character walk cycle. Also, I apologize if my comment sounded a bit condescending. That wasn't my intention.

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No problem. I don't think it was condescending, I just get defensive when people assume I don't know how to do something I actually do know how to do. Something I gotta work on.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ooh, nice! Altho I don't think I cud do the genocide option, I actually find it kinda cool here! Like, "Oh, you thought I was defeated? IMA CUT Y'ALL UP WITH A SPOON." :biggrin: But wait, if we playin' as Amaterasu, who are the others on the island, if they like, based on other myths?

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
They are indeed based on other myths. I'll show you some concepts.

1648833432225.png

1648833477046.png
I particularly like Medusa's concept. She's a sweet little girl and wears a blindfold so people don't get hurt by her.

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not sure who that is, LOL. but yes, it's the Egyptian dog god.

PixelatedBree

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm all for this! I love ancient mythology, farming sims, and tricking NPCs :kaojoy: Having the option of making your character remain deceptively kind while plotting to take down the island is a very cool idea!

I was wondering how you plan for the island layout to be designed. Will there be a central town where everyone lives (including the player), or do the NPCs have their own area of the island you can travel to? Will other parts of the island be dungeons you can visit to level up?

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That's a great question! I actually haven't figured out the layout of the island as of yet. I'm kind of keen on people being scattered throughout the island instead of one central town, especially since there will be no one around to hear them scream it gives more opportunity for some alone time. :thumbsup-right: There will definitely be dungeons on the island (and possibly some on smaller islands you can boat to).

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sorry if this is a double post, but I just finished creating sprites for all of the items in the game! I figured this was too big of an announcement for an edit.

overlordmikey

BroCo. Gaming
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm confused about why it's Amaterasu who is by all accounts a very good noble Goddess in mythology? Isn't Susunoo the sibling with a temper?

SGHarlekin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have too much to say here, but living a life in solitude and having to fend for yourself should make you stronger, not weaker imho.

Other than that... Where does the game stand out from any other harvest moon type game aside from the violence part?

How does the relationship part work out? Will we read the same dialogue from npcs every day like harvest moon in order to increase it? Will we be buying the same gifts over and over again? Or will the game not feature a relationship system at all and people just follow you whenever you progressed enough?

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm confused about why it's Amaterasu who is by all accounts a very good noble Goddess in mythology? Isn't Susunoo the sibling with a temper?
The myths in the game have vastly different personalities from the real myths. Their designs and powers are what gives them their name.

Other than that... Where does the game stand out from any other harvest moon type game aside from the violence part?
It'll be similar, but not really the same. Just enough to know that it's still a farming game. It's more like Portia than Harvest Moon in that your interactions are a lot more complex. Who you were bleeds into many more aspects of the game than just "you can kill everyone." You have to keep your rep fairly high otherwise people will suspect something. If you kill things that are not actively doing harm too frequently, people will think you're a sociopath. I don't intend to make a clone of any game. The interactions are much more visual novel like than just spamming "talk".

How does the relationship part work out? Will we read the same dialogue from npcs every day like harvest moon in order to increase it? Will we be buying the same gifts over and over again? Or will the game not feature a relationship system at all and people just follow you whenever you progressed enough?
As far as this, there will be different dialogue depending on what's coming up at the time. If it's almost your birthday, people will react differently than say, if it's the Winter Solstice. The gifts part, I haven't figured out yet, so no comment.

don't have too much to say here, but living a life in solitude and having to fend for yourself should make you stronger, not weaker imho.
That's a fair point. It's not going to be brought up very often in the game, but I just added that there as an explanation for why you're level 1 and not level 100 when you start.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So I kinda came back and learned how to mod other RPG Maker games so... Hello everyone!
Captura-de-pantalla-475.png
Version 1.0.1 done! Now finally free time... oh
Capture.PNG
I'm Really proud of how my game over screen looks!
UldJFr1.png
I felt inspired by a piece of art I saw. So I made this.

Wanderer Doge.png

Thought i'd be cool to have like a company introduction. Check it out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luxheo