Mythologies

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Dreadshadow, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It has come to my attention, that the Scandinavian Mythology, you know, the one where you hear words as Thor, Odin, Loki, Hel, Asgard, Ragnarok etc etc, has really nice stories to tell and it has nice similarities with Greek Mythology. Studying deeply the Greek Mythology, I start to see similarities with other civilizations, like the ancient Egyptian, Celtic and Scandinavian. Yeah, I already know, that Roman was almost identical, eventually both civilizations were too close.

For instance,
    Scandinavian deity Odin is the highest deity of all, something like what Zeus ended up being in Greek Mythology.
    But look at that. Odin had a son. Thor. God of thunder, who would go along human beings against other god's will sometimes.

So Thor looks like Zeus too, because Zeus was the god of thunder and lightning.
    But Thor as a character is most like Hercules, who was son of Zeus.

So from one side we got Thor and Odin and from the other side we got Zeus and Hercules.

Thor and Hercules both died by poison.

Many differences but also many similarities. If you sum up these duos though, it seems that it represents the same thing principles. We might argue that Odin was god of war. But for your information, Zeus enjoyed it when humans were at war.

It seems mankind made magnificent lore back then.

So I was wondering.

I want to really research this rich ancient mythologies and any help would be appreciated. Any place to read stuff briefly or in depth in English?

Are you from Scandinavia?
    Are you from India?
    Are you from Peru?
    Are you from Indonesia?
    Are you from Italy?
    Are you from ANYWHERE?
    You got a tale that looks the same with the mythology of another civilization? Why not share?
    You got a unique tale to share? Even better!!!
    I would like to see where this thread would go, surely mythologies around the world will have similar stories.
    We can make this an anthology of them and find out about their similarities.

We already know that about the "great Cataclysm" a.k.a flood myth around the World.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_myth

Let's share tales. :)

I start with a link to Greek Mythology in English. I am really surprised by the quality of its content.
    http://www.theoi.com/

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  2. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You can watch some Marvel Super Heroes movie = )

Dreadshadow likes this.
  3. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All mythology have a lot in common actually.

Not only that but they both fought against another race (Ice-giants for Odin, Titans for Zeurs).

Have to strongly disagree with you there (but that's for another time) and don't you mean herakles? ;)

I'll be happy to discuss this with yyou further at a later date (cause it's really passe dmy bedtime now haha)

Canini, samkfj and Dreadshadow like this.
  4. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    He was not god of hammers.
    Bring me Thanos.
    Does those two hints count? ;)

@Finnuval pardon me, since I have zero knowledge on Scandinavian Mythology. Your disagreement is truly welcome since you are probably right.
    If Thor is not like Heracles character (Heracles liked people, went against the will of Zeus saving Prometheas and stuff like that)
    In Wikipedia... sigh... I read that Thor was like that, going along human against other deity will.Of course Thor's death was more epic, fighting that monster, while Heracle's death was a little less glorious...

Edit: Go to sleep. You can reply tomorrow you know. :D

Canini likes this.
  5. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thor was rather unruly, friends with Loki ( one of the few) enjoyed battle especially killen giants so much it borders in psychotic. Hé was so unruly as a kid hé was actually raised by two lightning spirits. Hé was enforcer of cosmic order and protector of both man and gods and the strongest among them (physically).
    Hé was rather rude and violent as a person. And had little patience.

But the marvel version Yeah looks like herakles (Who wasn't all mister good either since hé killed his wife en children in a rage induced by Hera Lol)

Edit: I know but I love talking to much lol

Canini, samkfj and Dreadshadow like this.
  6. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, this is weird. You see Heracles was a good hero, but not a moral one. He did some bad things too.
    His worst, was not his fault indeed, since Hera turned Heracles to a berserker and he killed his wife Megara and his three children.
    But wow, Thor being more rude... this is gonna be good.

Canini and samkfj like this.
  7. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What makes thor interesting is that despite him being enforcer and protector of order hé didn't really like order and rules himself. In that sense hé was more complex then herakles and thor was less anguist to.

Heracles was not good perse but hé grow to become good. That's the basis for his story in a way his path to godhood while thor was A God from the start and A major one at that.

One story about thor which is nice: his Hammer got stolen by some giants. They refused to return it unless freya (I believe) married one of them. Thor wants to go kill m all but Loki has a plan. Thor dresses up as freya to fool the giants. They fall for it and A feast his held they all get very very drunk and then thor loses patience (as they wouldnt give the Hammer until after the wedding which was 7 days of feasting and marital duties) and hé bashes their skulls in.

Edit: thor couldnt resist A challenge put before him either (got him Into trouble at times) where as herakles had to perform his duties/challenges as punishment/for redemption

Ps forgive me my spelling mistakes but Im typing on my Phone and it autocorrects Into dutch so... Lol

8. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know much mythology outside of what I would consider to be the most well known.

Looking forward to what appears on here.

Finnuval likes this.
  9. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @samkfj well you know your cryptids right. Those count too ;)

10. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Dreadshadow and Finnuval like this.
  11. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @samkfj Well not myth to A purist maybe but still counts in my book. It also reminds me A bit of Pan (the greek God) as hé liked to jump out at People to scare them hence the word panic.

12. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

samkfj likes this.
  13. megumi014

megumi014 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Uuuuh I love this topic. I'm actually basing my game on fairy tales and folktales around the world and the similitudes from one another are greater than the differences, so I'm not surprised to find out in mythology happens the same.

I'm from Spain/Catalonia, and we don't really have an epic autoctonous mythology because we also "use" the roman/greek one.

What we do have are quite a lot of mythological/fantasy figures and characters like "El Coco" or "El Ratoncito Perez" or legends like Sant Jordi (basically the same one as St George xD).

The 1, 2 and 5 are the ones I mentioned.
    https://www.expatica.com/new/es/about/culture-history/myths-and-legends-512473/

The one I love to explain is the Cagatió, it's from catalan christmas. We basically put a wood log with a face on the dining room, feed him and then hit it with a stick singing a song until he ... scatologically lets out the presents. It sounds surreal but it's so normalized here lmao

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tió_de_Nadal

Other than that I think many figures come out from Carnival, whick paradoxically is the furthest thing from mythology because it's a secular celebration xD

Dreadshadow and Finnuval like this.
  14. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love ancient mythologies and seeing similarities between the deities or concepts.

One thing I always found quite interesting is how much the Greek myths loved their trios. Number 3 must've been very important.
    I mean we have:

3 gods ruling over the 3 main domains - Zeus (land and sky), Hades (underworld), Poseidon (underwater)
    3 Gorgons - Stheno, Euryale, Medusa
    3 Grey Sisters - Deino, Enyo, Pemphredo
    3 Fates/Moirai - Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos
    3 Furies/Erinyes - Alecto, Megaera, Tisiphone
    3 Judges of the dead - Minos, Rhadamanthys, Aeacus

I might be forgetting some others.
    (So, does this mean Half Life 3 confirmed? :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:)

Finnuval, Dreadshadow and samkfj like this.
  15. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Oh, Oh finally a thread where I have some actual expertise. I have studied norse mythology intensively and read both the poetic and prose eddas along with the saga of the volsungs, the longest and most extensive icelandic saga which features the hero Sigurd and the dragon Fafnir, Ragnar Lodbrokk (if you have watched Vikings) and the story of the magical ring that inspired Wagner's operas. Feel free to ask me anything you may wonder about!

What I find interesting is that while norse mythology and the culture that spawned it was undoubtely brutal it actually placed a great deal of value on poetry and song, which was considered very manly and noble to write.

If anyone is interested in reading any of the original sources I reccomend the annotated translation of the poetic edda found here:
    https://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/poe/index.htm
    The prose edda is found here too but it is kind of a slog to go through tbh.
    It may be hard to get a hold of (I do not even know if all the albums have been translated into english) outside of Scandinavia/Europe but a Danish cartoonist called Peter Madsen drew 15 albums based on norse mythology, including what is called the five "great" myths of Thor. Reads some scans and get a feel from them here:
    https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/tag/creator:+peter+madsen

Norse mythology is the best mythology because it has a story where Loki gets black-out drunk and insults all of the other gods (in verse).

16. Ryisunique

Ryisunique Detective, AUEI Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I need more minutes for this.

The biggest thing is that things are shared, copied, or somehow linked across the world (I have a huge hypothesis on this). Stories repeat due to a base plot that is then expanded by local knowledge and mythology.

Greek and Roman share deities and sometimes names. Zeus and Jupiter, Neptune and posideion, Hades and Pluto. Romans took over Greek, but Artemis was known as Diana in a small region before the takeover.

Matseb2611 talked about the Greeks and their love of three, but it was also a component of Celtic mythology and craft as well. Three itself as a whole while nine is a perfect number. Morrigan, Triple goddess.

Also I hate my phone as well.

Finnuval and Matseb2611 like this.
  17. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I've heard that 3 was quite an important number in many cultures. I mean we even have it in Christianity with the whole Holy Trinity.

Finnuval and Dreadshadow like this.
  18. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Artemis is the Greek, Diana is the Latin.

Nice call.
    There are numbers that were sacred indeed.
    3,6,9 are seen everywhere in Homer Iliad and Odyssey.

It has to do with Pythagoras and something like an initiation on understanding of things in a more mystical philosophical way through numbers.
    I have to put things into a spoiler, because this is gonna be big!

For example, I had an Italian guy studying an ancient Greek text. He could not translate something, so he asked me.
    He told me using latin characters "tetraktys". Now Ancient Greek and modern greek are almost different languages. But if you got some knowledge and try hard, you can come up with something right.
    So this word is written ΤΕΤΡΑΚΤΥΣ in Greek, separated, we get tetra-ktys, ΤΕΤΡΑ - ΚΤΥΣ.

ΚΤΩ means I own. Something belongs to me.
    ΤΕΤΡΑΔΑ means a set of four.

So I thought, wait... what the hell is that? Thus I asked for a part of the sentence, that word was in.
    "deka o tetraktys"
    ΔΕΚΑ Ο ΤΕΤΡΑΚΤΥΣ.
    ΔΕΚΑ = ten
    O is like "the"

I asked if he was studying Pythagoras. He was surprised I realized it by three words, but it was now obvious to me.

So the sentence, could be translated as: "Ten, the one (number) that contains (thus owns) the quartet."
    Now, you might ask, what quartet?
    Well... 1+2+3+4 = 10!!!

All 1,2,3,4 were also divine numbers, and so 10 was.

So what about ten?
    Ten was a holy, divine number. The perfect number contains the quartet 1,2,3,4 the numbers responsible for the harmony in the nature, the sounds and the soul.
    That is where octaves in music come from.

But 3,6,9 had some distinguished places.

The ten first numbers (0 was not a concept back then) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10 were set in a triangular form.
    Thus there is a divine geometry in harmony and proper analogies.
    An analogy needs a minimum of four numbers to compare, a quartet.
    Here is an analogy a/b = c/d

After many years Fibonacci stated the Fibonacci sequence, that follows the φ analogy, the golden ratio (φ=1.61803)
    (φ from ΦΕΙΔΙΑΣ Phidias who was an architect and sculptor that made the Zeus Statue (the one of the 7 Marvels) and the Statue of godess Athena in Parthenon. φ is used in his memory after Mark Barr suggested that, because Phidias was one of the first sculptors that used that ratio)

Pythagoreans knew the golden ratio.
    Here is a divine symbol of harmony:
    [​IMG]
    α and β follow the golden ratio. And no. This symbol is not satanic and it isn't devil's symbol.
    In Christianity this symbol, symbolizes the 5 wounds of Jesus Christ.
    The satanic symbol is inverted vertically.

No more religious talk please, since it is strictly against the rules.

And guess what. It's not even Greek! Sumerians were using it before ancient Greeks did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So... yes. 3 is one of four very significant numbers for Ancient Greeks.
    You got that right. 6 and 9 too.
    :)

Edit:
    "So, does this mean Half Life 3 confirmed?"
    At least Gabe is giving free keys.
    [​IMG]
    Have you played Bioshock Infinite? ;)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Finnuval and Matseb2611 like this.
  19. RetroExcellent

RetroExcellent Pixelated Avatar of Chaos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am a huge fan of mythology, my own country has quite a few from Native American Legend, such as Coyote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_(mythology)

I would recommend checking out the Myths and Legends podcast. He does a ton of good legends from Greek, Roman, Native American, Norse and others like the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Tales of King Arthur.

Finnuval likes this.
  20. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Dreadshadow : Thanks for the explanation. Wow, so that's where the importance of these numbers comes from. I do know of the golden ratio. Didn't realise it was related though. If I am not mistaken, the number 60 was also considered important, at least by Sumerians, and this is where the 60 minutes in an hour and 60 seconds in a minute comes from (though I could be wrong as I've heard this a long time ago).

You know, it's not surprising that this golden ratio is used in engineering marvels if it's present in nature so much. Clearly that signifies a good design. Isn't it also used in the design of the Egyptian pyramids?

PS: Regarding BioShock Infinite, I only played about first couple of hours or so, but couldn't quite get into it.

Finnuval and Dreadshadow like this.