Mythos: Reawakening

Discussion in 'PVGames Resource Packs' started by Jesse - PVGames, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the spirit of the upcoming spookiest month of the year, and whilst I prepare more of the new Mythos: Reawakening resources, I wanted to have a fun little competition.

Write a short story or creepy children's style rhyme based on the image above! There is a little special something for participants :)

In the meantime, you can view a few screenshots of some of the preliminary resources below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can view more information as well in the previous thread HERE.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  2. The Stranger

The Stranger The Faceless Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Truly, a scene plucked from the unfathomable depths of the mind of Azathoth himself; who else would think to wallpaper the outside of their house? :p

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Idiot, Frogboy, mlogan and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    Hah, didn't think of that, I probably should have used a different outer wall!

Well, insanity does make one do crazy things...

Frogboy likes this.
  4. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmmm, I might just have to enter this. Love these new tiles! I can't wait to use them.

5. PsychicToaster

PsychicToaster Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Day 45:

I fear the few threads of sanity I cling to are fast departing amid this unending torment. I've tried in vain to remove both the chair and the empty crib. Each day, they return to the parlor room. The agonized wails of an infant, unseen, forgotten, unloved, ring through my ears. Deafening peals of haunting laughter, tortured screams, and unintelligible, angry shouting echo as the chair creaks, rocking of its own accord. Nothing can stop it. I've hacked the chair and the crib to pieces with an ax, hurled them from the windows, made every attempt to seal them away in other rooms, all without success. The sins I have committed to deserve this unmitigated horror are surely not equal!

I have checked into hotels daily, but I find no relief there. I awake in terror from fitful sleep to find myself back in my own bed, in my own home, to the oppressive, anguished screaming and ceaseless creaking of the rocking chair. Why is it so loud? I've demanded the spirits to reveal themselves, an unanswered shriek for mercy ringing hollow, drowned out by the unholy cacophony of misery that has plagued me these many months.

Day 51:
    There can be no escape. No release from this unrelenting insanity while I still draw breath. The parlor room reeks of petrol, my own doing. I write now my final entry with clarity and resolve. I will not live to see another day. A simple oil lantern should do the trick. As the wailing and creaking pound at my frail and deteriorating psyche, I beg forgiveness for my wicked deeds. Had I known these were the consequences, I would have stayed my hand, and sought to make amends with those I felt had wronged me. I must end this, so that I may be free in death from the crushing weight of guilt in life.

May no other man be as cruel as I have been, and may none suffer an equally cruel fate.

Here is a thing I wrote at 5am just for this xD. Rushed it because I have to work, it might be a tad bit dark but it was fun.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Jesse - PVGames likes this.
  6. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    Thanks @PsychicToaster, I didn't need to sleep tonight anyway!

Just to be clear, this is not a real competition, as in there are no designated winners - anyone who participates will get the special little something, so don't feel pressured! It's just for fun :)

7. PsychicToaster

PsychicToaster Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Lmao. That was the best I could do at 5am an hour before I had to leave for work. Thanks xD

I will check out the little something when I get home : D love the Mythos tiles. My friends and I have been playing a tabletop called Monster of the Week, so I am very much inspired to do some horror stuff.

8. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    Working on having a number of animated environmental pieces as well, such as this fan (and the above posted rocking chair, among others). Going to see if I can make diagonal doors work as well!

9. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

A look at a few more of the characters in Mythos: Reawakening. I am also making background pieces (separate background parts and floors mainly, and some overlays) so that you can make your own front-view style backgrounds by mixing and matching the pieces. It's just like when you make backgrounds in RPGMaker MV. These can be used for front-view battle systems or making pictures/cutscenes or whatever else you might want to do with them.

rooge and GolfHacker like this.
  10. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    I could have sworn I posted the above picture here yesterday or two days ago, but alas, I do not see it... Not sure if I imagined I did it, or I posted it in the wrong place. Anyway...

Above, some of the hospital/asylum tiles, a look at a few of the characters, and a glimpse at something sinister making its way down the hall.

But, not everything in the realm of horror needs to be insane asylum this and eldritch terror that. Your characters need a safe place to catch their breath and restock. Below you can see tiles I have just worked on to make a shop in town. You can also see some more characters and some additional poses and animations for them.

[​IMG]

11. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mythos: Reawakening isn't focused ONLY on the terrifying creatures of the H.P. Lovecraft world. The legendary modern internet-created being has skulked his way in, as well. The first image is a GIF in case you didn't notice it :)

GolfHacker likes this.
  12. mardin

mardin "...pretty please?" Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I'm more and more hyped and really want to see what I can create mixing Mythos and Medieval together!

Can you already give a rough estimation on when you finish the pack?

13. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    Another thing I am adding to this pack are pre-made room templates. All of the pieces to make your own rooms, of course, are included, but figured this might be useful to people who don't want to build every room from scratch, or who just want some examples of rooms. There are a variety of pre-made rooms with different wall and floor combinations, different sizes, and different configurations including hallways. All you gotta do is slap down some furniture and decorations! They are configured already to align with 48x48 tile grids.

@mardin - Not entirely sure yet. I have the bare minimum number of characters (24) that I wanted, and got a lot of the tiles done. The main thing I need to do is make more monsters and finish off the tiles (and add at least one more wall type). After that, I want to add some more build-your-own-background pieces, and then some more characters and add extra animations for existing characters so they can use more weapons. It won't be done in time for Halloween. But conceivably finished within the next 1-2 months? Quite possibly.

14. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, I finally finished my writing for the rocking chair image. I feel like the ending might be a bit rushed, but hopefully it conveys what I wanted it to okay enough. I think I actually want to try to turn it into a plot for a game using these tiles.

Sarah could hear it again.

The creaking.

The whispered voice singing.

Hush little baby…” floated down the hall, under her tightly closed door. It was just a whisper, but somehow so loud.

The first two nights she’d been brave enough to tiptoe down the hall to her parents’ room. “Mamma, Mamma,” she’d said in a hushed tone, afraid that the voice would hear as she shook her mother’s shoulder.

The first night, her mother had sleepily patted her arm and reassured her it was just a bad dream. She rolled over back into sleep before Sarah could explain that she could still hear the singing, right now.

The second night she’d wakened her father. He sat up, groggy, trying to understand what she was telling him, listening, assuring her he heard nothing, and it must have been her imagination; she wasn’t used to being in this house yet, it was an old house, and old houses make noises.

The third night, she wanted to go again, to tell them, to try to convince them that she could hear something that they could not. But she knew deep down that they would dismiss her again, so she’d simply shoved her pillow tightly over her ears and hugged Mr. Whiskers more closely.

This time was different though. Chills sprang up on her arms despite the warm summer sun streaming through her window. At 11, Sarah still believed daylight was supposed to be safe. She gently set her doll inside its miniature house and rose to her feet, staring at her door as if the owner of the voice would walk through.

She wanted her mother. She felt that surely, fully awake, her mother would hear the sounds she did. But Mamma was out in the yard planting flowers in the beds. In order to get her, she knew she would have to go to the voice, crossing through the room the singer occupied.

Once again making her resolve to be brave, she grabbed Mr. Whiskers, clutched him tight and walked to her door. She put her hand on the knob and froze only a moment before turning it. As she stepped into the hall, she could hear the whisper echoing loudly in her ears.

Forcing her feet to move one step at a time, she reached the end of the hall before she was ready. She would run through the room quickly to the door and outside to the safety of mother, nothing else, that was her plan.

As she stepped into the room however, she froze, her plan forgotten by the chilling site of a ghostly chair rocking back and forth, the voice coming from its invisible occupant. The voice was louder now, clear and she wanted to run, but could not find the will to move her feet. The singing broke off as a figure formed in the chair, turning to look at her.

“Sarah, my Sarah.” The young woman in the chair reached out a hand to her…

Ruth pulled off her gardening gloves as she stood up. Brushing off the knees of her pants, she admired her work. The flowers were planted, bringing a bit of cheeriness to the façade of the old house. Glancing at her watch, she realized it was a bit past time for lunch.

Walking through the sitting room, her foot hit something, sending it across the room. Looking to see what it was, her frustration welled up as she picked up Mr. Whiskers.

“Sarah, how many times have I told you not to leave your things about?” she called as she walked down the hall towards Sarah’s room. She entered Sarah’s room, ready to begin a full lecture, but her daughter was not there.

“Sarah, it’s time for lunch,” she called out, but no reply came.

“Sarah?”

Jesse - PVGames likes this.
  15. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    Great job @mlogan ! I enjoyed it very much. Thank you for sharing!

I will message you in a moment with some resources :)

Just a reminder to anyone else, feel free to share something up until Halloween :)

mlogan likes this.
  16. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    Made a little alley bazaar to show some more of the various objects and people included in Mythos: Reawakening.

17. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]
    Some more outdoor stuff, including some new ground textures and decals.

18. mardin

mardin "...pretty please?" Veteran

First Language:
    German
    It's been over a month now. Come on, please feed us with some more preview pictures.

I bought the rulebook of Call of Cthulhu for some inspiration and I'm currently reading all the short stories of Lovecraft again plus similar stuff. I'm definitefly ready to start working on a horror game!

19. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lol, I think Jesse's been busy working on an IGMC entry. Completely understandable that he's not had time for updates in the last month.

20. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

There, a little image :)

Mlogan is correct, I threw my efforts into the IGMC this year, as I have done in years past. I think the game I came up with came out pretty well! Probably my strongest IGMC game to date. You can find it over HERE slowly getting buried with no attention :)

At this point, I am also exploring my options for future distribution of resources. I am exploring the idea of putting my own shop on my website where anyone interested can purchase resource directly through there, which has a number of benefits for both myself and people who like to use my resources. I haven't put anything into motion yet, but I am not entirely sure the arrangement with Degica is to our benefit considering the changes they've made to release schedules and the paths they seem to be pursuing in recent months. Unfortunately, I am not the only one thinking this, but it is not really my place to talk about it, so I will just focus on my own resources and situation.

I might end up doing some sort of pipeline using Patreon - where patrons would get the resources first as they are created for a reasonable and low monthly rate (along with any exclusives just to patrons that won't end up for sale anywhere else) and then form smaller itemized packs to sell through my own store, instead of releasing relatively large packs with a wide-range of resources. I think I like the a-la-carte approach so that people can purchase only the resources they are actually interested in and not end up with a bunch of resources they have no use for. So if you want just some characters or outfits and weapons for characters, those would be their own separate packs; building exteriors would be their own thing; grass and foliage and ground bases would be their own thing; interior walls and floors would be their own thing; decor, objects, etc would be their own thing, etc. The idea would be to have them priced relatively low to keep things accessible (I can't really see many things being more than maybe $5 with the exception of perhaps bundling a bunch of stuff together for a larger deal). This would allow for a more frequent release of content, as I could easily make a pack or two each week worth of content (give or take, depending on the content and what might be going on in life). I also like the idea of my own store because then I can send out things like coupons, hold my own sales, and create my own promotions. I also might end up bundling these smaller bits and releasing larger packs through Gamedev Fort, Unity store, and other such places.

None of this is set in stone or guaranteed. Just things I am exploring and researching as I consider the future of my work and resources, as well as the future needs of current customers and fans.

Oh - In addition to this, I am in the process of commissioning a new piece of software for people to use; a new character generator. The current one has some leftover bugs in it and the creator is no longer with us in this community it seems, so there can be no tech support for it. This new software should ultimately have all of the same features and more, and be a hell of a lot more flexible with allowing users to define the kinds of templates they want to use, define what kinds of spritesheets they want to export, etc. Not much else to share on that particular piece of news at the moment, but I am pretty excited about it!