oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I'm trying out some custom summon animations in MZ, which are largely kitbashes of various visual elements, including some simple monster image pngs.

However, it seems like MZ is noticeably blurring these pngs. Which seems like a problem not just for this particular implementation, but also for animations where nice, sharp edges are desirable, such as ice or rock animations.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

The tree girl furthest left is the monster sprite at x2 magnification (just resized in photoshop and loaded into sv enemies with a different name). The middle tree girl is the image at it's default size. Both look fine (bigger one is blurrier, but that's to be expected). The middle is the animation in question, using the same default size image, but as you can see it is noticeably blurrier than the x1 monster image, and even blurrier than the x2 image somehow.

This is not a problem when the file is played in effekseer, the image is quite crisp there, so it seems to be some issue with MZ's animation system.

Or I'm doing something wrong. Anyone know which it is, and how it might be fixed?

ninjaconor

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am having exactly the same issue. Screenshot below shows the animation as it appears in Effeseeker vs RMMZ. As you can see, I'm not even scaling the image in RMMZ so I would expect it to pull through exactly as is.

It looks to me like RMMZ is scaling the image in the background somewhere using Linear Interpolation rather than Nearest Neighbour. I'm currently digging around in the rmmz_sprites.js file to see if there's a way to fix it but no luck so far. If anyone has discovered a workaround I'd be very grateful to hear.blur1.png

ninjaconor

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've solved it! Or at least found a workaround.

I guessed that maybe the Effekseer node was of a particular size and that whatever image I was pasting in was getting stretched to the size of that node. So, I created an animation that was just solid red, took a screenshot, and measured its dimensions. Voila! Whatever size my colour blocks, they always appeared in-game as 106x106.

So I scaled my animations up 400% and pasted them into 106x106 frames and all of the blurring immediately went away.

Ignore this. It sort of worked, but there was still some blurring that became more apparent on larger animations. I have found an actual solution though that works as follows:

Draw your animation frames horizontally in a png file. Ensure that your amount of frames is a power of 2 and less than 128 (so 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, or 64). Pad it with blank frames on the end if you need to.

Import it into Effekseer as normal and set your filter to "Nearest Neighbour".
Then go to the "Referenced" dropdown, change the selected value from "Image1" to "None(128x128)"

In your size field, set your Y to 128. Set your X to 128/number of frames. So, for example, if you had 16 frames, your X should be 128/16 = 8.

Save your file as normal and use it in RMMZ. There should now be absolutely no blurring of your animations.

blur2.png

Last edited:

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Make sure that your images are at power of 2 or even number dimensions or it will become blurry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

People3_5 and People3_8 added!

so hopefully tomorrow i get to go home from the hospital i've been here for 5 days already and it's driving me mad. I miss my family like crazy but at least I get to use my own toiletries and my own clothes. My mom is coming to visit soon i can't wait to see her cause i miss her the most. :kaojoy:
Couple hours of work. Might use in my game as a secret find or something. Not sure. Fancy though no? :D
Holy stink, where have I been? Well, I started my temporary job this week. So less time to spend on game design... :(
Cartoonier cloud cover that better fits the art style, as well as (slightly) improved blending/fading... fading clouds when there are larger patterns is still somewhat abrupt for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Usagiis