Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

Event Describe
J / JE / Jragyn

Introduction
This plugin enables RM devs to grant additional contextual detail to events on the map through text and/or icons.

Features
- "describe" an event by adding some text
- "describe" an event by adding an icon
- either/both text and icon can hide/show based on player proximity to the event.

A demonstration of proximity text and icon (with different values):
proximityDescribes.gif

How to Use
The plugin itself has a help section that details how to use it in case you do not want to return to this post after downloading. There are also numerous examples throughout the demo.
In order to utilize this functionality, add a comment to an event with one
of the following tags below to create text/icons that show up on the event:

<text:EVENT_TEXT>
Where EVENT_TEXT is whatever text you want to show on this event.

<icon:ICON_INDEX>
Where ICON_INDEX is the icon index of the icon to show on this event.

<proximityText>
or
<proximityText:DISTANCE>
Where DISTANCE is the distance in tiles/squares that the player must be
within in order to see the text on this event. If using the tag without
DISTANCE, then the DISTANCE will default to 0, meaning the player must be
standing ontop of the event in order for the text to show up.

<proximityIcon>
or
<proximityIcon:DISTANCE>
Where DISTANCE is the distance in tiles/squares that the player must be
within in order to see the icon on this event. If using the tag without
DISTANCE, then the DISTANCE will default to 0, meaning the player must be
standing ontop of the event in order for the icon to show up.
============================================================================
NOTE:
Proximity tags are optional. If they are not added to the event alongside
the text or icon tag, then the text/icon will always be visible while the
event is visible on the map.
1616345680126.png
In this case, the text that shows up would be Iron Giant.
The icon id that shows up would be of index 14.
In order to see the text, the player must be within 3 tiles of the event.
In order to see the icon, the player must be within 2 tiles of the event.

Plugin Commands / Script Calls
There are no plugin commands or script calls to use for this plugin at this time.

Demo
A demo showcasing this plugin can be found at the download link below.

Download
  • Demo (The same link to the demo used for all my plugins)

Final Note
I deliberately left all code open for the public to view and edit as they see fit (please be kind and give credit where credit is due!). If you have questions about the code, I'd be happy to explain most anything you'd see in any of my plugins.

Thank you, and happy RM-ing!

Before releasing to the public, this project has undergone many transformations through its iterations. Those with sharper eyes may recognize these assets! This project initially started as many do: I downloaded VisuStella and co.'s sample starter project and got to work. As a result, there are a few artifacts I didn't think twice about, most namely the tilesets and some of the sprites.

- The tilesets and some characters/faces (and the obvious core plugin at the top) are not mine, they were from VisuStella and co., so... thank you for making even other devs lives like my own easier to just pick up and get started doing actual content creation!

- I believe it was Avy's work that created the icons in the iconset. It is a bit patchworky because I wanted more things, but still, credit is due where credit is due.

- The characters/faces that are named with the pattern: "chara_*" are just characters I made using the built-in character generator. You are free to use them if you want, but know that with a little bit of time you could probably make your own! (and a bit of paint.net efforts)

Any developer would be flattered to know that there are people who want to utilize their code for something that will reach the masses, me among them!

My plugins I hope will reach the masses and will allow others to pick up and learn more about how plugins work, and hopefully become a community effort to come up with the best functionality!

However, if you opt to use this plugin [for commercial projects], you may use my plugins at no cost as-is. If you want additional support for bugs you may encounter, or features added/changed, I would encourage you reach out to me so we can talk about it in greater details.

Also, do be kind- if you make an awesome game leveraging any of my plugins, do send a copy my way! I'd love to see how others leveraged my plugins to build stuff!

FAQs
The project that contains JABS doubles as my test bed for all plugins I make. Some of them are simple (like J-Hud), while others are more complex (like J-JAFTING). I encourage you reach out to me to discuss them if you can't find anything about them anywhere as I just might've forgotten release them publicly, or I may have opted against it for other reasons.
If you encountered a bug/defect, post a screenshot of the console (if possible) along with as much detail as you can gather that you believe is related to the problem. I'm a professional developer by day, but definitely no QA! I'd be happy to fix any defects related to my code, or try my best to add compatibility to play nice with other plugins assuming their code is open as well (like f0mor's plugins, visustella plugins are a bit more difficult to deal with due to the code being obfuscated and you may need to have them reach out to me so we can talk about how to solve it).

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
will this plugin work in MV? or can you make it compatable with it? it looks neat though.

Jragyn

JABS codemonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
will this plugin work in MV? or can you make it compatable with it? it looks neat though.
I haven't really tried using it in MV, it might be compatible judging by the way the code looks in MV and what I modified/created in MZ. You can try it. If it does not work, I did my best to document what everything does (in-code with jsdocs), so you can backport it if you'd like, but I don't have plans to support multiple plugin ecosystems at this time. Sorry for that inconvenience.

For your knowledge, this was based on a combination of Moghunter's Event Text plugin and Moghunter's Event Sensor plugin, but while I was there... I figured I'd add a bit more (icons), clean it up, and make sure it plays nice with my other plugins. Both of moghunter's plugins were written for both MV and MZ, so I think you should have little trouble producing a functional plugin for yourself in MV if this doesn't just work.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got all mogs, but yours can be really usefull in more part of ways and can be
replaced by 2 less pluginsso it's always better that way.

I test it out on MV and hope that it works, I'm still learning JS, so hopefully I can get it
to work :) but nice plugin.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it cannot read the data, so it doesn't work, as checking the code, creating that function
might be easy, but it wouldn't do anything or replace it.

as further of the code, I dont quite understand the functions you use, so I cannot port it.
but keep up the nice work anyway :)

Jragyn

JABS codemonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
it cannot read the data, so it doesn't work, as checking the code, creating that function
might be easy, but it wouldn't do anything or replace it.

as further of the code, I dont quite understand the functions you use, so I cannot port it.
but keep up the nice work anyway :)
I group all my code by their type (such as Game_X, Scene_Y, Sprite_Z, etc) within regions. Ideally you'll use vscode or some other region-respecting code editor to help organize yourself while coding.

I'll explain each code type at a high-level and maybe that'll aid you further:
- Game_Character: Mostly just setup functions that give defaults for stuff that isn't Game_Event (such as Game_Player or Game_Follower).
- Game_Event: The actual comment-parsing and updates for event updates happen here. All data parsed from comments is also stored here locally on each event (where applicable).
- Sprite_Character: The data lives in Game_Event, but the actual drawing of the icon/text happens here. Also the conditionals for hide/show is managed here.
- Event_Describe: The new class I made up for containing the data that holds the text/icon and their respective proximities (if any) for when to fade/not-fade.

That's about it. I have faith in you, @ShadowDragon !

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know most functions, and still learning it, but the main problem is more the coding itself.

I use friendly ES5 which is easier for me, you use a mix of or only ES6.

also there are
/**
* @ STUFF {number} what is for
* @ STUFF {Number}
*/
Function and code here.
those kinds is somethin I dont understand or how exacly they work, I se them often.

I know I can mix ES5 and ES6 which can make some codes shorter and better compatible,
but advanced codings and those stuff are above my head. (I do self learning JS) simple
and short plugins, and try to extend.

I might find a way, no worries :) if it may be ported over, maybe someone else with more
knowledge might do that and credit you as well as original creator :)

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So cool! Would be nice if you put raw code of the plugin, too.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A video update on the progress I've been making on the cutscenes. :kaosalute:

I wonder if color LUTs is possible for RPG Maker. It would be game changer and can replace the not so good looking tint screen
new mechanic in battle where you can mentally erase enemies when you deplete all their MP instead HP. this gives you a special item of their "memory". it's pretty to do in battle so far.
Apparently MZ lets you preview move routes in the move route editor without having to start up test game. That could save a lot of time during development compared to MV, especially for a long game that uses a lot of event movement for cutscenes.
A repost of an old meme I had made, now with music

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GabrielTakahashi16