[MZ]How to allow background NPCs to keep moving during events?

nametaken121

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I want the player to be able to talk to an NPC and have other NPCS still follow their movement routes during dialogue. Is this possible? I am on RPG Maker MZ

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think that's the default behavior. You would need to do something special only if you wanted it to be the other way around.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@nametaken121
how are you moving the events? There are several different ways to move events, with different behaviours.
And unless you are in a cutscene most events should be moved by autonomous movement, not set move route.

nametaken121

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I think that's the default behavior. You would need to do something special only if you wanted it to be the other way around.
Huh, that's interesting when I first tried it before it didn't behave like that. Let me check again.

nametaken121

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
So I have this NPC set to walk from one end to another back and forth, as his Autonomous MovementNPC.JPG

However whenever I try to talk to an NPC like so, he finishes the step he's on then pauses.NPC2.JPG
The NPC just runs a simple text box, so I don't know why he doesn't continue moving.NPC3.JPG

nametaken121

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@nametaken121
how are you moving the events? There are several different ways to move events, with different behaviours.
And unless you are in a cutscene most events should be moved by autonomous movement, not set move route.
It would be in autonomous movement- would it be possible to have autonomous movement persist? I'm using this to have an NPC essentially cycle between going from one end of the map to the other, go transparent, wait 500 frames, turn off transparent and walk back. to simulate city traffic. Is there a way to do this?

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It would be in autonomous movement- would it be possible to have autonomous movement persist? I'm using this to have an NPC essentially cycle between going from one end of the map to the other, go transparent, wait 500 frames, turn off transparent and walk back. to simulate city traffic. Is there a way to do this?
I just tested it and movement routes work normally during events. So most likely, you made some mistake in the move route.

Also, Event movement doesn't update when they are off-screen without a plugin, but not sure if that could be responsible.

nametaken121

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I just tested it and movement routes work normally during events. So most likely, you made some mistake in the move route.

Also, Event movement doesn't update when they are off-screen without a plugin, but not sure if that could be responsible.
I don't know where a mistake could of been made. He pauses during the first section,
with just "move left" commands. Any suggestions?

Do you know of any plugins that fit the off-screen thing as well. I appreciate the response!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EDIT: forget what I posted here before, I didn't see the screenshots were added farther above.

What you have is something else - during messages the game is always paused to give the player time to read without causing other problems.
There are ways around this, but you have to be carefull on how to use them or they might break your game.

nametaken121

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
EDIT: forget what I posted here before, I didn't see the screenshots were added farther above.

What you have is something else - during messages the game is always paused to give the player time to read without causing other problems.
There are ways around this, but you have to be carefull on how to use them or they might break your game.

I think this is everything, not sure what else to screenshot.

EventspageJPG.JPGEventspageJPG.JPGMap.JPGmoverouteJPG.JPGMov1JPG.JPGMov2.JPG

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't know where a mistake could of been made. He pauses during the first section,
with just "move left" commands. Any suggestions?

Do you know of any plugins that fit the off-screen thing as well. I appreciate the response!
Ok, I just noticed, why do you have the NPC event as Autorun?

nametaken121

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Ok, I just noticed, why do you have the NPC event as Autorun?
I think I must of accidentally switched that, I switched back to action button, but it still has the same behavior if you're wondering :X

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think I must of accidentally switched that, I switched back to action button, but it still has the same behavior if you're wondering :X
Ok, make another NPC, give it the following movement - Left, Left, Left, Right, Right, Right. Then test out if that NPC moves while the text box is up.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
please read my edited post above.
and you don't have to quote everyone when its obvious who you answer to.

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Visustella's Event and Movement Core plugin has a setting to allow event movements during text or other events.

1611745467458.png

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm pretty sure you only need that if you don't want the events to move during text messages, the OP has the opposite problem. I've tested this in MZ many times and the events keep moving even during autorun events and dialogue.

I also recreated the move route the OP had (as well as I could) and it works fine even when a text box is up, leading me to believe that the problem is somewhere else.

Last edited:

oriongates

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Then my guess would be that the OP has this plugin, or a similar one, and has this setting enabled without realizing it. Because it's the default setting for the Event and Movement core and I didn't realize it was enabled in my system until just now, because I had tested the issue as well and found the opposite (the events stop during conversations). It was only just now that I realized that the VS plugin was designed to turn that off rather than turn it on.

nametaken121

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@oriongates This solved my issue, I'm still new to rpg maker so thank you for catching this!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

not me being not lazy for 5 seconds and drawing another char portrait (her name is hazel)
its_hazel.png
Been a while since the last time I made a song remix. Had a blast making this
One thing those jp developer still get wrong about boob physic is that... men's muscly hard pecs can jiggle too.
Definitely glad I haven't released a few of my plugins that are technically done. As I learn more, I find ways to make my code more efficient, and in one case so far, discovered an existing function that did EXACTLY what I created my own function to do.
So I was kinda recommended a manga to learn a few drawing tips, I dunno if it will actually work, but I'm liking the story lol
M745veO.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobezz