MZ is on sale on Steam but not here. What gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I see that Steam is having a 20% discount for MZ right now until 11/23. But Degica shop still has it for full price. I heard using RPG Maker on Steam can be inconvenience. Do I get a key code or something similar to download/unlock the trial version that I downloaded from this website if I buy the game from Steam? Also, do RPG Maker programs go on sale for much cheaper during Black Friday? Was waiting until BF to get MZ, but it's suddenly being discounted right now. And it ends before BF. I feel like this is some sort of trap and that the price might drop even further after.
Anyone else planning on getting it now with this price?

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use MV on Steam, it works smoothly for me
(although you do need to login on steam before MV can launch).

As for buying MZ, I'd say wait until more resources
and plugins become available.
I bought MV on its second year (2017), at 80% discount (IIRC).
by that time it already has a lot of resources and plugins to play with.

It depends on your need though.
For me, MV is still quite powerful and it has the plugins I need for my game.
I won't move to MZ if it doesn't have the plugins I need.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, I may just have to grab MZ before 11/23 then. Not to make an MZ game, but rather just using MZ's map editor for better mapping. It's a hybrid MV/MZ approach some on the forums have tried and seems to work for them. I will also reinforce @EpicFILE in that MV on Steam has been running flawlessly for me as well. Even having a dozen instances of MV open is no issue, thank you 32Gb RAM. But you guys are probably right that it will get cheaper sooner or later.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I see downloading RPG Maker on STEAM as a HUGE plus.... I dunno where/how you would think otherwise.

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Frostorm Have you tried Tiled? It's free, I am learning it and it has a lot of potential for mapping if mapping is your sole reason to buy MZ. MZ is awesome though...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do I get a key code or something similar to download/unlock the trial version that I downloaded from this website if I buy the game from Steam?
no, and you've found out one of the reasons...

Steam sometimes makes sales without care for what the original publisher wants. They can do this as long as the sale only cuts down their own profits and not reduce the part that is paid toward the publisher.

There are other reasons for not giving keys for steam purchases like steam having reduced prices in certain countries and no one wanting to result in such a reduced price version getting a key that works everywhere

If you want both then you have no choice but to purchase here where there are fewer sales.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Frostorm Have you tried Tiled? It's free, I am learning it and it has a lot of potential for mapping if mapping is your sole reason to buy MZ. MZ is awesome though...
Well, it wouldn't be the sole reason. I just wouldn't use MZ in earnest until there are more plugins and stuff for it. I also imagine MZ will receive a few patches as MV did. I did download Tiled a while back but never installed it lol, just waiting for when I might need to use it. With MZ, I'd already be familiar w/ its UI. I know I'm gonna get MZ eventually, it's inevitable lol.

Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
N/A
Isn't RPG Maker MZ drm free? I buy in steam and I can still use it even though I don't run steam

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Andar So can I expect a BF discount on here? How much do they go on sale around this time? As good as Steam?

@EpicFILE @KillerGin I recall reading that many users have issues with the Steam version of Ace and especially MV a few years back. Something about their updates breaking their game project or having trouble launching, or something similar...

Kind of in the mood to start making game again, so I thought I should get it now before my interest fades away again, lol.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I recall reading that many users have issues with the Steam version of Ace and especially MV a few years back. Something about their updates breaking their game project or having trouble launching, or something similar...
yes and no, you mixed up several different things.

VXAce Steam version has the workshop support, and automatically enables cloudsave and workshop upload for new projects if you don't disable it. But since the steam cloud was intended for saves (small files) instead of projects (full games), that uploading takes too much time and is interpreted by a lot of people as a problem. Oh- it is a problem, but not a bug. It does exactly what it is told to do, just that most people don't understand the consequences and never were asked if they wanted to do this.

The project autoupdate (that broke some games) was a problem of 1.6.0 of MV that had nothing to do with steam (steam just automatically updated to 1.6.0, but that update in itself had no problems).

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
OK. It's BF week. Steam has it on sale for 20% off, while this website still has the default price. Is there any shortcoming to getting the Steam version over the one on here?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you get it from here, you get the key to use standalone, and it will also activate the steam version.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Shaz

Do you still have issues running RPG Maker programs from Steam now?

What happens if my internet drops while I'm using RPG Maker? Is it gonna stop working until I reconnect again or does it let me run the program offline for the time being?

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
What happens if my internet drops while I'm using RPG Maker? Is it gonna stop working until I reconnect again or does it let me run the program offline for the time being?
In my experience the Steam client is very lenient regarding connectivity. Earlier this year I used it in offline mode for two consecutive months with no connection.

The Steam version of RMMZ currently does not require the Steam client to be open in order to launch. Not sure if that'll change, since the Steam version of RMMV does require the Steam client.

Frostorm

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No issue, you can use it offline.

Edit: Lol, looks like you posted a few seconds before me, @caethyril. :kaohi:

I'm glad they extended the sale from 11/23 to 12/1 though! I told myself I was gonna grab MZ by the 23rd but then I forgot haha, so now I got another chance. :p

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you still have issues running RPG Maker programs from Steam now?

On my new computer, I have only installed the Steam versions of MZ, MV and Ace, and only the standalone versions of VX and XP.

My previous issues were because I had both Steam and standalone MV installed, and when I wanted to run standalone, it would always run the Steam version.

So I'm not having the issues, because I don't have the same setup I did previously. I'm certain that if I installed the standalone versions of MZ, MV or Ace, I would have the same issues again.

I just gave up trying to fight it :)

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
One more thing: should I uninstall the demo version before installing the Steam version? I have some stuff in the installation folder of the demo, some extra generator parts. I can just copy the generator folder and paste it into the Steam version folder?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Steam sometimes makes sales without care for what the original publisher wants. They can do this as long as the sale only cuts down their own profits and not reduce the part that is paid toward the publisher.

Not my experience. We approve all the Steam sales.

Steam just has a lot of sales over the year. Honestly at any point you are probably a few weeks from a Steam sale :p.

Also I ONLY run the Steam version of all the RMs at this point (even though I clearly have access to standalone versions). The one thing that used to be a problem (not being able to open multiple instances because Steam was set up to run games originally not really programs), was fixed on Steam's side a while back.

zzmmorgan

I've used punchcards
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah I like the fact I can run multiple things from Steam now. Especially if I want to tinker with stuff in both RMMV AND RMMZ at the same time or just have two projects open at the same time in either......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Chilling out while toodling around someone's painstaking Minecraft recreation of Disneyland. It is mind-boggling and probably as close as I'll ever be to going.
>Testing with fonts change.
>Tries installing a plugin. Doesn't work.
>Tries changing the plugin commands. Doesn't work.
>Tries installing another plugin. Doesn't work.
>Changes a few more plugin commands. Doesn't work.
>Goes directly to the gamefont file and changes the src. Works.

YYEEEAAAAHHHAAAA

Perseverance is key, bois and girls.
What Reviews say on RPG Maker MZ?
Looking back at some sketches, and game design documents on my PC dated summer of 2015. I started development with the release of MZ, but in 2015, I felt a strong desire to make a game out of the blue. I remember feeling sad for no apparent reason, and all these ideas rushed into my head. Now that I think about it, since that day, everything has become easier to do on my PC . . . it’s very creepy.
Everything's going to be alright! We're all in this together. <3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soicaukubetim