zalfex

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
español
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Great plugin! Thanks for your hard work on it!

Okay, so I tried to update the plugins in my project folder and got this message. The only plugins I have are those in the J-ABS folder.
Hi, I'm getting the same error, how did you solve it? I'm new to this

SonaGate

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It is missing a lot of information because:
- it takes a long time to write
- like any good developer, I'm lazy

But there are a couple things there.

I've been in the process of revamping the setup of it since I've added a lot of stuff to the engine, though I haven't properly announced it because I'm not done with either the code updates or the documentation updates.

Sorry for that inconvenience and thank you for your patience. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have in the mean time.
I don't know how to access the documentation, the problem is me :S

And keyboard support is still planned?

Jragyn

JABS codemonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't know how to access the documentation, the problem is me :S
Well, the documentation that I've got thus far lives here.
You can use this url to find my "work in progress" stuff at the time of writing.
("beta" of demo including my WIP stuff- I would not recommend actually pulling the latest from there)

And keyboard support is still planned?
Sort of.
I personally do not use the keyboard for playing the demo with JABS.
I use a gamepad.
You too should use a gamepad because I subjectively think in the context of a 2D ARPG, it is superior.

That being said, I did perform a tremendous refactor on the input portion of the code, enabling variety of new functionalities, among them being you can (in-code) build your own "controller" of sorts. This "controller" will translate the player's input from their chosen input device (such as a keyboard) into JABS-related inputs. An example of the one I built for a gamepad/controller can be found here. With some degree of javascript skill, you or someone you know who does, should be able to put together a keyboard input system designed for JABS, following the skeleton I have already provided.

darkand

Nomad Robot Artis
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can make a action turn option? like pokemon mistery dungeon or chocobo dugeons

aaron13820

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
do you have a tutorial, or set up guide for beginners who want to learn how to incorporate it into their games?

Jragyn

JABS codemonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
you can make a action turn option? like pokemon mistery dungeon or chocobo dugeons
JABS does not currently support "mystery dungeon"-like functionality.

If you want to code up an extension for it though, I'd be happy to review it :)

darkand

Nomad Robot Artis
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
sadly my skills on code are my weakness, i can do all type of visuals but i lack of coding skills, rip

Ancient_Eagle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi @Jragyn
I have questions:

- If I killed any monsters (like 20, 30, or more of them...), means the cutscenes will start. How I can do that?
- If hero's hp is 0, it will not directly gameover. What I want is the cutscenes for hero is tired. How I can do that?
- Can I remove these options and use only menu?
- How I can make my character do combo attack? I played your demo, and there's no combo.
- Can I make my own hud bar for actor? I already made my own.

Thank you

Jragyn

JABS codemonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
- If I killed any monsters (like 20, 30, or more of them...), means the cutscenes will start. How I can do that?
Upon enemy defeat, they will execute whatever is in their event commands. If you add variables there, along with a parallel process tracking said variables, then you can achieve your goal.

- If hero's hp is 0, it will not directly gameover. What I want is the cutscenes for hero is tired. How I can do that?
There are no real special logic associated with the gameover functionality in JABS. If all actors die, then it gameovers. There are other plugins out there that can help you achieve what you want to do.

- Can I remove these options and use only menu?
The JABS quick menu cannot be bypassed, as it is the only means to equip the various skills and items.

- How I can make my character do combo attack? I played your demo, and there's no combo.
The demo does demonstrate this. There are many combo skills setup inside the database of the demo project in the original thread.

- Can I make my own hud bar for actor? I already made my own.
Please review the plugin description for the various J-HUD plugin components if you intend to use your own custom assets with it, or feel free to skip the HUD and make/use your own with your own assets.

Weatherlight01

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is so great! I always avoided RPG maker because I didn't think it could do real time combat.
I've been having a blast these past few days making sprites and watching them come to life in JABS.

I was wondering, is there was a way to make enemies spawn on the map while the game is in progress? like a summoning skill or enemies that multiply themselves for example.

In any case thankyou for putting this together. :)

Ancient_Eagle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Upon enemy defeat, they will execute whatever is in their event commands. If you add variables there, along with a parallel process tracking said variables, then you can achieve your goal.

There are no real special logic associated with the gameover functionality in JABS. If all actors die, then it gameovers. There are other plugins out there that can help you achieve what you want to do.

The JABS quick menu cannot be bypassed, as it is the only means to equip the various skills and items.

The demo does demonstrate this. There are many combo skills setup inside the database of the demo project in the original thread.

Please review the plugin description for the various J-HUD plugin components if you intend to use your own custom assets with it, or feel free to skip the HUD and make/use your own with your own assets.
Okay, I have 3 question:
- Can I remove the window (red arrow) for not showing me?
- The black ghost has name, I don't want to appear the black ghost name. How I can do that?
- The enemies I can see their emoji (happy, sad, angry, etc...), how I can remove it?

I ask you these question because maybe I might use yours ABS after finish my first game.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

Weatherlight01

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Okay, I have 3 question:
- The black ghost has name, I don't want to appear the black ghost name. How I can do that?
- The enemies I can see their emoji (happy, sad, angry, etc...), how I can remove it?

I ask you these question because maybe I might use yours ABS after finish my first game.
The action log can be turned off in the plugin manager, it's called j/J-LOG.

If you right click the plugin called j/jabs/J-ABS and click edit you can turn on/off a bunch of stuff like enemy HP bar, enemy name etc.

I couldn't figure out how to disable the balloons if that's what you mean by emojis but if you go into the game folder under img/system you can replace the balloon image with a blank image so you won't see them in game anymore but that probably isn't the best way to go about it.

Hope this helps.

Jragyn

JABS codemonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was wondering, is there was a way to make enemies spawn on the map while the game is in progress? like a summoning skill or enemies that multiply themselves for example.
RPG Maker MZ natively does not support just randomly spawning events on the map, and thus neither does JABS. However, I have heard that Galv's Event Spawner works with this? I have not tested it nor officially supported it as a tool to use with JABS, but it might be something you could look into?

I couldn't figure out how to disable the balloons if that's what you mean by emojis but if you go into the game folder under img/system you can replace the balloon image with a blank image so you won't see them in game anymore but that probably isn't the best way to go about it.
There presently is no way to disable these, and I'd only recommend following the advice of @Weatherlight01 if you have zero use for the "balloon" functionality in your project- that is an effective solution, but would effectively disable balloons entirely.

The action log can be turned off in the plugin manager, it's called j/J-LOG.
This is 100% accurate. That window is my log window. If you do not want it, you can disable the plugin. If you are looking at the sample project, there are a large number of other plugins you may want to review. Many should have details in the plugin description as to what they do and how they work.

If you right click the plugin called j/jabs/J-ABS and click edit you can turn on/off a bunch of stuff like enemy HP bar, enemy name etc.
While you can follow @Weatherlight01 's advice, that would globally disable it for all enemies. If you want to selectively disable it, you can put:
Code:
<noName>
in the enemy event you wish to hide the name from, and it'll hide the name only for that enemy. There are a number of tags like this that disable various visual aspects and manipulate many things, and someday I'll have them documented.

Hope this helps.
Thank you kindly sir for stepping in and helping your fellow JABS users!
I am not always able to respond, so I appreciate your diligence!
:XP1C:

Lord_Bluffkin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi J
Thank you so much for your incredible work. This engine is exactly what I have been looking for.

My only comment is regarding the attack animations. The RTP already has a modular system for combining weapons with SV sprites through the System 2 > [SV] Attack Motions. Any chance we could use those animations for at least the left and right attacks? Otherwise a new sprite set needs to be created for every [Party Member] x [Weapon] combination. It adds up quickly.

Hope you can figure something out.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Jragyn

JABS codemonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
My only comment is regarding the attack animations. The RTP already has a modular system for combining weapons with SV sprites through the System 2 > [SV] Attack Motions. Any chance we could use those animations for at least the left and right attacks? Otherwise a new sprite set needs to be created for every [Party Member] x [Weapon] combination. It adds up quickly.
This takes place on the map, leveraging standard character sprites and their associated configuration. These character sprites are not compatible by default with the SV character sprites, thus trying to mashup the SV weapons onto them would not work as you're dreaming.

Concisely put, if you want animated character sprites on the map, you'll need to spin them up yourself. And yes, it will add up quickly.

Can you do a pixel movement (analog movement)? like this for example:
Ignis Pixel Movement v0.7 for MZ
Unfortunately, despite the name, I wouldn't qualify that as a real "pixel movement" system.

I actually attempted to integrate precisely that plugin into JABS initially, but discovered it is merely a "move with the analog stick on a controller" plugin, which happens to move per pixel instead of per tile because that is how the plugin author designed it. It does not accommodate anything other than the player for the most part, so it can't really be leveraged within JABS.

If you are seeking pixel movement, Cyclone's movement engine works to some extent with JABS- though you will likely need to tweak it to some degree to get it to work fully.

It will be pleasure to do that.
Feel free to build and integrate your own pixel movement with JABS! JABS is open to the public for modification if others so wished it.

theoryoferin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Would it be possible that once you equip a certain item / accessory that you would be able to hold down the attack button to charge your attack to a second (and third) level a la the NES classic RPG Crystalis? (video link for example. ~13:55)

Jragyn

JABS codemonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
you would be able to hold down the attack button to charge your attack to a second (and third) level
This has been on my "wishlist" of functionalities to develop, but have not taken the time to weave it in.

To be clear, this would likely manifest not as "hold down the button to charge any attack to an additional level and beyond", but instead as "certain skills will have scaling damage depending on how charged they are" or "certain skills will have the ability to charge up for X frames to instead perform a different skill". I'm not sure which yet.

Ancient_Eagle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This has been on my "wishlist" of functionalities to develop, but have not taken the time to weave it in.

To be clear, this would likely manifest not as "hold down the button to charge any attack to an additional level and beyond", but instead as "certain skills will have scaling damage depending on how charged they are" or "certain skills will have the ability to charge up for X frames to instead perform a different skill". I'm not sure which yet.
Moghunter did that in ABS Chrono Engine
Maybe you can check that one.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The main game of my trilo/saga 50%OFF on Steam..... its now or never more
I swap between Ace and MZ so I can stay fresh but - what do you mean you can use subfolders in the plugin's folder for easier organization!?
Did some new music again, praise be. To the next song!
Watch Studio Blue play Numina by starlit in our latest RPG Maker Games Critique stream starting NOW!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrlimbs