(MV Version only) Do you think canvas fall-back for this plugin is neccesary?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I’ll definitely give it a go. I just started using the 1.3 lighting yesterday so it’s nice to see a drop the day after.

I’m still learning how to use the plugin but I noticed that the default lights or custom light images are tiny. One thing that I wish this plugin had is a size increase or decrease function. So I was wondering if there could be a feature similar to Khas’ lighting where I can increase the size of the light.

It’s ok if it’s not possible this request is more of a want not really a need.

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello!

Is it possible to make Picture layer excluded from being shadowed? Because I have made most of my in game UI with pictures and doesn't want them to get affected by ambience lights .
uki68Kq.png

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it seems MV version isn't updated yet, only MZ version and the plugin.
I dont know if it breaks if you switch MV 1.3 demo with the 1.4plugin.

but it looks nice though =)

Shora

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I’ll definitely give it a go. I just started using the 1.3 lighting yesterday so it’s nice to see a drop the day after.

I’m still learning how to use the plugin but I noticed that the default lights or custom light images are tiny. One thing that I wish this plugin had is a size increase or decrease function. So I was wondering if there could be a feature similar to Khas’ lighting where I can increase the size of the light.

It’s ok if it’s not possible this request is more of a want not really a need.
This used to be a feature, but I removed it before the initial release since it also come with the pulse animation, which at that time pretty expensive in performance (and also the angle parameter and the rotate animation too, which even more expensive). I'm planning to included it again in the next update too, which the new lighting type selection. Stay tuned! Also, you can always resize the custom light image to the size you want ;)
Hello!

Is it possible to make Picture layer excluded from being shadowed? Because I have made most of my in game UI with pictures and doesn't want them to get affected by ambience lights .
uki68Kq.png
Are you showing picture with the engine command, or with plugin? The light & shadow layer are drawn above the picture for a purpose: parallax mapping. But if you showing image with plugins, just move this plugin above that, and set the picture to be as high as possible. If that plugin have a flexible one, I think it will have the option for draw above the UpperLayer :). Screenshot_2022-01-11-32_340x113.png
Edit: Just a thought, have you think about creating your own lighting layer for your picture GUI? That could make the GUI even more fancy, and just disable the shadow for that light to highlight the GUI! I will just make the option to add light that stick to the screen instead of the map..
it seems MV version isn't updated yet, only MZ version and the plugin.
I dont know if it breaks if you switch MV 1.3 demo with the 1.4plugin.

but it looks nice though =)
Thanks! I haven't test it with MV yet, but it should work well. Just remember to add the region id by 1, as the new version count from height 0. Feel free to ask anything!

Last edited:

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you showing picture with the engine command, or with plugin? The light & shadow layer are drawn above the picture for a purpose: parallax mapping. But if you showing image with plugins, just move this plugin above that, and set the picture to be as high as possible. If that plugin have a flexible one, I think it will have the option for draw above the UpperLayer :). View attachment 212488
Edit: Just a though, have you think about creating your own lighting layer for your picture GUI? That could make the GUI even more fancy, and just disable the shadow for that light to highlight the GUI! I will just make the option to add light that stick to the screen instead of the map..

I'm using the engine command to show images. Would be great if there is an option to move the light layer under the picture layers or we could denote certain picture IDs not to be affected by the light&shadow layers.

Lighting up the GUI is also a great idea! Would certainly love to try that!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fixing Errors and a short tutorial
So I've been seeing a few people get errors while trying to use this plugin. And seeing as I have had these errors myself but managed to find a solution, I figured I'd share that solution. I also wouldn't mind helping a few others learn how to understand the plugin a bit better. Seeing as it's going to be a good amount of text I'll separate the text using spoiler tags so that this post doesn't become annoying to others who just want to scroll by quick.
Forgive me for any typos my cat was beginning to get lonely so I didnt go back to recheck my spelling

For those getting $GameShadow is not defined
This problem I believe occurs because the JavaScript file that you downloaded weirdly enough came without its proper parameters being set. To fix this issue you must download the latest Lighting Demo MZ.rar along with your ShoraLighting.js
Click the link 3.png

Once downloaded, place your js file in the proper folder in your game. [for those who don't know that would be the js/plugins folder]
Now open your game project using either MV or MZ
Afterwards extract the Lighting Demo MZ.rar and also open the game project file.

From YOUR game project open the plugin manager and simply add ShoraLighting to the list however do not close the plugin manager yet because we are not done configuring the parameters on the ShoraLighting plugin.
From the DEMO game project open the plugin manager and double click the ShoraLighting plugin to bring up the parameters page.

You're going to want to copy the parameters from the Demo Plugin to your Game Plugin
Database 2.png
So for example: You'll copy the Lights: Default parameter [from the demo] as is and then hover over to [your games'] Lights: Default and simply right click and press paste. Do this for both Light: Default and Lights: Custom and hit apply. Once you do so the problem should be resolved.
When you boot up the game it should work appropriately

Understanding how to use the plugin
One of the reasons I love this plugin so much is because of the amount of freedom the game creator has to modify their shadows or light in the plugin! I applaud the script writer insanely :kaopride:

Though the lack of a [help page] does make things a bit intimidating, however I'll try and help you learn the way I learned [which is trial by error].

Question: Is it possible to make the Picture layer excluded from being shadowed?

The answer is yes. However you must change a few words in your js file.
Open the Shoralighting.js file with whatever 3rd party application you prefer, and click Ctrl and F at the same time.
This should bring up a find search engine. In the find what box type createUpperLayer and it hit next. This should bring you to a line of code that reads out like this
Screenshot_2022-01-11-32_340x113.png
From here simply change all "createUpperLayer" to "createLowerLayer" in this area of code.
*Please make sure the L is capital as js takes that level of precision very seriously.
Now you should have something like this by the end of it.
createLowerLayer.png
As you can see all I did was simply change createUpperLayer to createLowerLayer within those three lines of text. Once you do this save and close the file and run your game. If you have an image that was originally darkened it should now not be affected.

When you open up the plugin page You'll notice 4 settings
[Game Settings] [Map Default] [Lights: Default] [Lights: Custom]
For now I will only talk about the first two. As I feel like I spent too much time on this post already lol.

[Game Settings]
The parameters are pretty easy to understand. You set the range of your preferred Region ID numbers and if you have the latest version of Shora Lighting you can also place roof Region ID's or Ignore Shadow Region ID's.

[Map Default]
Default Ambient
is as the name suggests the default Ambient shade the plugin will show as you start the game. It uses hex numbers so if you don't know any hex numbers by heart simply go to this website https://www.color-hex.com/ and use their cursor controlled color chart. Any color you would want is broken down in hex numbers so you can apply it to your game. If you want your game to start off with no shading I recommend changing this parameter to #ffffff

Default Shadow Ambient This allows you to adjust the shadow itself. For example if you feel like a shadow in a certain map should be darker than usual [Let's say you wish to hide a monster in a corner] Then this setting will adjust that. Or if You wish the shadows wouldnt be so dramatically dark then you can also brighten them. Its an incredibly hand feature that can benefit the game creator quite a bit.
Default Top Block Ambient If you understand Default shadow ambient then this should also make sense to you. This parameter allows you to adjust the level of intensity of the shadow on the top of your wall. Again very useful for many creative ideas.

Brancliff

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have a feature request! The ability to add lights to an animation would be really nice. I've actually tried out (to my knowledge) all of the MV lighting engines and I don't believe any of them have it.

Here's an image to help try to explain what I mean - it was from when I tried the Community Lighting plugin, but its just to get the idea across. If I were to cast fire in a dark room, I'd also want the fire to make the room brighter during its animation too.

fbf25d14afce8b35a41c3565572890eb.png

I'm early enough in my project to still be able to be able to switch some plugins around and I'd definitely pay the commercial fee if I could get a lighting engine with this.

Either way, thanks for developing this regardless! More options is always nice in general.

greenrivers

Pixel Artist
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
holy cow, this is a gorgeous plugin. i may be switching over after playing around a bit to get a functioning flashlight toggle because those shadows are good and moody

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fixing Errors and a short tutorial
So I've been seeing a few people get errors while trying to use this plugin. And seeing as I have had these errors myself but managed to find a solution, I figured I'd share that solution. I also wouldn't mind helping a few others learn how to understand the plugin a bit better. Seeing as it's going to be a good amount of text I'll separate the text using spoiler tags so that this post doesn't become annoying to others who just want to scroll by quick.
Forgive me for any typos my cat was beginning to get lonely so I didnt go back to recheck my spelling

For those getting $GameShadow is not defined
This problem I believe occurs because the JavaScript file that you downloaded weirdly enough came without its proper parameters being set. To fix this issue you must download the latest Lighting Demo MZ.rar along with your ShoraLighting.js
View attachment 212652

Once downloaded, place your js file in the proper folder in your game. [for those who don't know that would be the js/plugins folder]
Now open your game project using either MV or MZ
Afterwards extract the Lighting Demo MZ.rar and also open the game project file.

From YOUR game project open the plugin manager and simply add ShoraLighting to the list however do not close the plugin manager yet because we are not done configuring the parameters on the ShoraLighting plugin.
From the DEMO game project open the plugin manager and double click the ShoraLighting plugin to bring up the parameters page.

You're going to want to copy the parameters from the Demo Plugin to your Game Plugin
View attachment 212655
So for example: You'll copy the Lights: Default parameter [from the demo] as is and then hover over to [your games'] Lights: Default and simply right click and press paste. Do this for both Light: Default and Lights: Custom and hit apply. Once you do so the problem should be resolved.
When you boot up the game it should work appropriately

Understanding how to use the plugin
One of the reasons I love this plugin so much is because of the amount of freedom the game creator has to modify their shadows or light in the plugin! I applaud the script writer insanely :kaopride:

Though the lack of a [help page] does make things a bit intimidating, however I'll try and help you learn the way I learned [which is trial by error].

Question: Is it possible to make the Picture layer excluded from being shadowed?

The answer is yes. However you must change a few words in your js file.
Open the Shoralighting.js file with whatever 3rd party application you prefer, and click Ctrl and F at the same time.
This should bring up a find search engine. In the find what box type createUpperLayer and it hit next. This should bring you to a line of code that reads out like this
View attachment 212662
From here simply change all "createUpperLayer" to "createLowerLayer" in this area of code.
*Please make sure the L is capital as js takes that level of precision very seriously.
Now you should have something like this by the end of it.
View attachment 212663
As you can see all I did was simply change createUpperLayer to createLowerLayer within those three lines of text. Once you do this save and close the file and run your game. If you have an image that was originally darkened it should now not be affected.

When you open up the plugin page You'll notice 4 settings
[Game Settings] [Map Default] [Lights: Default] [Lights: Custom]
For now I will only talk about the first two. As I feel like I spent too much time on this post already lol.

[Game Settings]
The parameters are pretty easy to understand. You set the range of your preferred Region ID numbers and if you have the latest version of Shora Lighting you can also place roof Region ID's or Ignore Shadow Region ID's.

[Map Default]
Default Ambient
is as the name suggests the default Ambient shade the plugin will show as you start the game. It uses hex numbers so if you don't know any hex numbers by heart simply go to this website https://www.color-hex.com/ and use their cursor controlled color chart. Any color you would want is broken down in hex numbers so you can apply it to your game. If you want your game to start off with no shading I recommend changing this parameter to #ffffff

Default Shadow Ambient This allows you to adjust the shadow itself. For example if you feel like a shadow in a certain map should be darker than usual [Let's say you wish to hide a monster in a corner] Then this setting will adjust that. Or if You wish the shadows wouldnt be so dramatically dark then you can also brighten them. Its an incredibly hand feature that can benefit the game creator quite a bit.
Default Top Block Ambient If you understand Default shadow ambient then this should also make sense to you. This parameter allows you to adjust the level of intensity of the shadow on the top of your wall. Again very useful for many creative ideas.
That's really helpful! Thanks for detailed explanation!

Dark_Ansem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Shora I have a question: would your plugin also work with maps created with TileD?

Shora

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have a feature request! The ability to add lights to an animation would be really nice. I've actually tried out (to my knowledge) all of the MV lighting engines and I don't believe any of them have it.

Here's an image to help try to explain what I mean - it was from when I tried the Community Lighting plugin, but its just to get the idea across. If I were to cast fire in a dark room, I'd also want the fire to make the room brighter during its animation too.

View attachment 212693

I'm early enough in my project to still be able to be able to switch some plugins around and I'd definitely pay the commercial fee if I could get a lighting engine with this.

Either way, thanks for developing this regardless! More options is always nice in general.
That seems like a wonderful idea! However, to implement that, user will still need to create their own animation's light image, and the plugin must be able to animate the light to appear synchronously with the animation. Will take a look at it in the future!
holy cow, this is a gorgeous plugin. i may be switching over after playing around a bit to get a functioning flashlight toggle because those shadows are good and moody
Thanks! Sorry for the lighting status not be easy to change, I'm already include it in the next version :D. If you like the plugin, feel free to support it! I will be very appreciated and motivated :kaohi: .
@Shora I have a question: would your plugin also work with maps created with TileD?
I haven't tested it yet, but it should work ok, since it just draw the shadow based on region id position and tile's width/height. Just replace line 2530 from
JavaScript:
this.originalSegments = this.segments.map(s => s.map(p => p.map(x => x / 48)));
to
JavaScript:
this.originalSegments = this.segments.map(s => s.map(p => [p[0] / $gameMap.tileWidth(), p[1] / $gameMap.tileHeight()]));
and see if it work! Feel free to ask me anything :kaoluv: .

Dark_Ansem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I haven't tested it yet, but it should work ok, since it just draw the shadow based on region id position and tile's width/height. Just replace line 2530 from
JavaScript:
this.originalSegments = this.segments.map(s => s.map(p => p.map(x => x / 48)));
to
JavaScript:
this.originalSegments = this.segments.map(s => s.map(p => [p[0] / $gameMap.tileWidth(), p[1] / $gameMap.tileHeight()]));
and see if it work! Feel free to ask me anything :kaoluv: .
why thank you so much!

Dark_Ansem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So, I didn't get it to work with a TileD map - but probably because I screwed up TileD compatibility in general.

greenrivers

Pixel Artist
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks! Sorry for the lighting status not be easy to change, I'm already include it in the next version :D. If you like the plugin, feel free to support it! I will be very appreciated and motivated :kaohi: .
No worries! I know the plugin is still in development and I found a couple work-arounds. I'll def be splurging on a commercial license a couple paychecks from now though because it seems to be playing nice with my other plugins. Though I do have a question; is it possible to set multiple different regions as top roof?

Shora

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So, I didn't get it to work with a TileD map - but probably because I screwed up TileD compatibility in general.
I haven't used tileD yet, so I don't know actually how to help. If you want, you can make me a small demo featuring tiled and my lighting, and I can take a look to it for you :kaohi:
No worries! I know the plugin is still in development and I found a couple work-arounds. I'll def be splurging on a commercial license a couple paychecks from now though because it seems to be playing nice with my other plugins. Though I do have a question; is it possible to set multiple different regions as top roof?
Thanks! About your question, why would you want to use multiple regions id as top roof? I thought only one is enough, since top roof is just a block and doesn't have any unique parameters, unlike wall which have it own height.

Dark_Ansem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I haven't used tileD yet, so I don't know actually how to help. If you want, you can make me a small demo featuring tiled and my lighting, and I can take a look to it for you :kaohi:
Thank you, I will. let me just make a map that isn't super ugly!

Shora

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Version 1.5 is released. Check it out! Itch.io dev-log.

Change-logs:
- Now preserve various parameters when the game is saved/loaded, i.e. map's ambient, light's status/offset/color. Will add more in the future.

- Add a new parameters to lighting: Status. Control the status allow you to turn on/off the light anywhere you want without need to removing/adding the light repeatedly.

- Add a new parameters to shadow: Offset. Give you control over the shadow source cast position. The shadow offset will be addition with the light offset, i.e. if you set the light offset to 48 and shadow offset to 4, then the shadow source will be calculated at 52.

- Fulfilled all the default parameters. Now you can easily install the plugin to your project without having weird bug cause by the blank parameters. Also add error throwing when you don't have the image file needed.

- Fix minor bugs.

スクリーンショット 2022-01-19 002122.png

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wonder if the version 1.5 is correct as the plugin say 1.4b,
but it looks really nice though :)

Shora

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I wonder if the version 1.5 is correct as the plugin say 1.4b,
but it looks really nice though :)
Oops, forgot that last step xD. Gonna edit it tomorrow. And feel free to give your suggestions!
Edit: jk I just get up in 1 AM to edit it, tomorrow is gonna for the demo update, both MZ and MV :kaoeh: .

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
than I download the MV version once updated :)

keep up the amazing work though, I got a suggestion, which I might need in my
main, but more usefull on my side game, which is also nice if it works nicely.

like, if X of region 1 (if 1 hight) or than no light can pass through it. unless already possible.
if tileset is X (unpassable) it should block the light too + range?

if already possible, I try it later for my side project.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Making progress. And simplifying.
jV7qfoy.gif
Not sure why I'm a jack of all trades , master of none... Sigh. Album out 06/03/2022 on all ur favorite platforms. 10 tracks.
Hmm... Mushrooms, maybe they're not poisonous...
unknown.png
Hi, I'm a new and upcoming Indie Developer, and I could really use some help when it comes to system programming. Explorers can only go so far before needing a map, you know?
I made a comic strip with the characters of my game.Flor en la cola eng.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obierunkenobie