MZ or MV or VX ACE ? Need your opinion !!

?

• MZ

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • MV

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • VX ACE

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

kagehiramika

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello i don't want to make this long so I'll go to the point :)
I'm a fine lvl Artist you can check my art here (https://www.deviantart.com/jairosan)
and i realllly want to make a game for this story its a mystery, drama and a little horror type
here is the problem .... i can draw everything i need and i have all music and BGS\SE i can almost do everything by myself expect one thing and i think you what it is :(
PROGRAMING
i started working on RPG MAKER MZ and it's really good and easy but because it's new program it's doesn't have everything like plugins and these stuff .. I'm new at making game and have 0 knowledge about scripts and codes ...
and the worst that English is not my first language so it'll be hard to ask someone to work with me
so the question is : what version of RPG maker should i make the game with ?
cuz i noticed that my ideal Rpg games like (Pocket mirror, aria story, witch's heart, and a lot of amazing games) made by VX ACE and MV *plus they have a bunch of tutorials and scripts, ..* i know a lot of people worked to make them but i don't care about time i just want to make it even if takes so long .. i have everything listed in my mind but i don't know how to make it happen ..
so .. should i use the new MZ that is good at everything but need a lot of time or use the old ones? if you have something else that can help me please say it i'll be so thankful <3

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi!
Definitely MZ.
On the user side, the experience using MZ is almost using MV, just a little better. So most of the tutorials will cover both engines(MV and MZ).
Under the hood, MZ seems better than MV too(but for now mobile has some problems, otherwise it's fine).
And the plugin makers are making a lot of plugins for MZ already.
Besides, if you are starting a project I don't see a point in using the old tolls since you have a new one that is better.
Hope it helps!

Jennavieve

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Definitely MZ.
On the user side, the experience using MZ is almost using MV, just a little better. So most of the tutorials will cover both engines(MV and MZ).
I can vouch for this. I followed SRDude's MV tutorials even though I have MZ and didn't have any trouble following along. He also did another video that shows the changes from MV to MZ that would cover anything he didn't cover in the MV tutorials.

I think if you're new to RPG Maker there's really not much reason not to get MZ. It does everything MV can do but better. There's already a good library of plugins available and it will only grow over time. Eventually, MZ will become the staple that MV is and VXAce was.

Last edited:

Krystek_My

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To be honest, I think that MZ is best option, but MV has its advantages. My first experience with the series was VX Ace and I didn't liked it at all, and it's kinda old. I only would buy old RPG Makers for art (like battlers).

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The only thing holding me back from MZ is the lack of a LTBS-style tactical battle system plugin. I avoid VX/Ace cuz I prefer Javascript which MV & MZ uses.

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, love your art @kagehiramika ! Happy to have someone skilled like yourself being a part of this community. :D

I would recommend MV for you. (Disclaimer: I'm using MV myself.)
Usually, I recommend MZ for newcomers. However, for more serious people like yourself, I recommend MV.

MV is at the peak of its maturity right now. MZ is just starting out.
There are around 4500+ plugins for MV. For MZ, i suspect around 200-300 plugins.
Popular plugins for MV have been patched and fixed to work together. Plugins for MZ are starting out, causing bugs and compatibility issues.
Mostly all of MV plugins are free and open to edit. A lot of MZ plugins are pay walled, and obfuscated.

I also recommend you use the MZ editor, for your MV game. You can create a project with MV, and then transfer a random MZ project file to it, and run it to open your MV project in the MZ editor. This will give your game a better performance, you can use MZ's layer system, event list, and the other quality of life improvements that come with MZ.

Feel free to ask me any question if anything I said is unclear. Or if you would like more details on it. :)

kagehiramika

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi!
Definitely MZ.
Under the hood, MZ seems better than MV too(but for now mobile has some problems, otherwise it's fine).
And the plugin makers are making a lot of plugins for MZ already.
Besides, if you are starting a project I don't see a point in using the old tolls since you have a new one that is better.
Hope it helps!
Thank you, i also think mz is better maybe i should start work in the graphics so the mz get more time ..!

To be honest, I think that MZ is best option, but MV has its advantages. My first experience with the series was VX Ace and I didn't liked it at all, and it's kinda old. I only would buy old RPG Makers for art (like battlers).
i wonder why almost all the games i like made by old versions like VX ACE and even 2000 !!

The only thing holding me back from MZ is the lack of a LTBS-style tactical battle system plugin. I avoid VX/Ace cuz I prefer Javascript which MV & MZ uses.
honestly i wish RPG maker make a version for other types of games that doesn't need battles cuz i think it's unnecessary for this genre ...

Wow, love your art @kagehiramika ! Happy to have someone skilled like yourself being a part of this community. :D

I would recommend MV for you. (Disclaimer: I'm using MV myself.)
Usually, I recommend MZ for newcomers. However, for more serious people like yourself, I recommend MV.

MV is at the peak of its maturity right now. MZ is just starting out.
There are around 4500+ plugins for MV. For MZ, i suspect around 200-300 plugins.
Popular plugins for MV have been patched and fixed to work together. Plugins for MZ are starting out, causing bugs and compatibility issues.
Mostly all of MV plugins are free and open to edit. A lot of MZ plugins are pay walled, and obfuscated.

I also recommend you use the MZ editor, for your MV game. You can create a project with MV, and then transfer a random MZ project file to it, and run it to open your MV project in the MZ editor. This will give your game a better performance, you can use MZ's layer system, event list, and the other quality of life improvements that come with MZ.

Feel free to ask me any question if anything I said is unclear. Or if you would like more details on it. :)
i'm glad to hear that :kaoluv:
i think you're right!! i tried to transfer my test project from mz to mv and it worked even the plug-ins so i guess i'll do it like you said! and i'll take my time doing the other things the game need and i'll see what should i use :LZYcheeze:
thank you so much for helping !!

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MZ is definitely a good choice, I chose MV though, simply because there is a lot more content for MV compared to MZ. Like it was said before, MV has a lot of plugins and MZ may not have a version of those just yet. MV is also the slightly cheaper option.

On the other hand, MZ is faster. It handles dual game openings better and almost all the graphics from MV can be used in MZ as they both use the same size so there isn't much editing there. Plus the Layers are a godsend.

I'd only choose VX Ace if you're running an older computer. While it does have some awesome graphics, it's over eight years old and doesn't run quite well on the newer versions of windows. Price wise, it doesn't make sense to get VX Ace unless there is a VX Ace unique feature/plugin that you absolutely need.

Currently, the only one on PC I don't have is MZ but I've been using the demo and it's been fairly easy to use as a primary MV user.

kagehiramika

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
MZ is definitely a good choice, I chose MV though, simply because there is a lot more content for MV compared to MZ. Like it was said before, MV has a lot of plugins and MZ may not have a version of those just yet. MV is also the slightly cheaper option.

On the other hand, MZ is faster. It handles dual game openings better and almost all the graphics from MV can be used in MZ as they both use the same size so there isn't much editing there. Plus the Layers are a godsend.

I'd only choose VX Ace if you're running an older computer. While it does have some awesome graphics, it's over eight years old and doesn't run quite well on the newer versions of windows. Price wise, it doesn't make sense to get VX Ace unless there is a VX Ace unique feature/plugin that you absolutely need.

Currently, the only one on PC I don't have is MZ but I've been using the demo and it's been fairly easy to use as a primary MV user.
i'm a little confused but it's ok :)
i have a new strong laptop so vx ace would be a bad choice?
by the way i just found that one of the good games i've played before made by "Wolf RPG Editor" .. it's the first time i hear about this program? is it good? or easier ? Thanks. :wub

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i'm a little confused but it's ok :)
i have a new strong laptop so vx ace would be a bad choice?
by the way i just found that one of the good games i've played before made by "Wolf RPG Editor" .. it's the first time i hear about this program? is it good? or easier ? Thanks. :wub
It is a little confusing, no worries. Basically newer operating systems are coded differently so they may no longer have a bit of code the older programs need. For the most part VX Ace will still work on Windows 8/10 but it's not designed to so there are some occasional problems.

Personally, I've never used Wolf RPG Maker but it is a free program if you wanted to test it out.

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i wonder why almost all the games i like made by old versions like VX ACE and even 2000 !!
It can take a few years to create a great game.
The best games made in RPG Maker, in the next 5 years, won't be made in MZ. They would be made in MV and VX Ace.
Because MZ is new. It will take an year or two for it to mature, and for people to get used to it. Then it will take a few years of work, till someone can make a great game with it.

Until then, the next RPG Maker would have released.
(this is a cycle that repeats with every new RPG Maker.)
This is why better RPG Maker games come out of the older version, instead of the latest.

During MZ's 5 year period. You will see great games coming out of MV. As developers work with the best, most mature version of current RPG Maker (which is MV) for the next few years.

Hope this makes sense. :LZScheeze:

kagehiramika

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It can take a few years to create a great game.
The best games made in RPG Maker, in the next 5 years, won't be made in MZ. They would be made in MV and VX Ace.
Because MZ is new. It will take an year or two for it to mature, and for people to get used to it. Then it will take a few years of work, till someone can make a great game with it.

Until then, the next RPG Maker would have released.
(this is a cycle that repeats with every new RPG Maker.)
This is why better RPG Maker games come out of the older version, instead of the latest.

During MZ's 5 year period. You will see great games coming out of MV. As developers work with the best, most mature version of current RPG Maker (which is MV) for the next few years.

Hope this makes sense. :LZScheeze:
it makes sense now !! thank you so much for the responses.. you helped me a lot i'm very thankful :kaopride:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Made another map, this one even has a cool moving waterfall. I'll have an animated GIF later whenever I'm done adding stuff. :LZSwink:
Back here again?! RPG MAKER, I can't quit you. :kaosigh:
um... why didn't anyone tell how easy it is to add motions to Sideview battlers? I literally copied the last one, changed the name and index, said where it should play, and boom... I've got intro motions.
Lately when I listen to 1970s songs, I always think that the "real world" is still at mid 70s. What we experience now is a futuristic dream. With this point of view, even 80s and 90s looks super futuristic. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
broiderers