MZ Preview #7: MZ Sample Games, Upcoming MZ First Look Stream!

RPGMakerWeb

Admin
Admin
Reaction score
First Language
RPG Maker
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Honestly, streaming for more people is easier than streaming for very few people. You have something to bounce off of in the chat. It's so difficult to try to carry on a monologue for three hours, it's easier to have a dialogue with people in chat. That was why I was so happy that several people sat through all of the No Travel game jam streams. -Touchfuzzy

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The most fun part about a new RPG maker IMO is the discovery of all the new features together with everyone else!
That's exactly why I ordered it. Haha! I was originally going to wait until April but I think it will be more fun to dip into it now while there's a lot of buzz. It's worth the price difference I expect between now and Golden Week. Plus, I get a bunch of extra assets.

Last edited:

JetX7

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Starting after release I'll be streaming weekly through the RMW Youtube. Wednesday 4-7pm Pacific. I'll basically start making a game in the first stream, and every stream I'll just keep making the same game. And hopefully finish it one day. :p.
I'm really looking forward to this. The only stream I've ever watched was Briana White, but that's because she's a national treasure. Also, i just preordered the MZ on steam and was wondering do I get MV today? Or will show up during the MZ release?

Edit: Nevermind, MV arrived in my inventory after a few hours.

Last edited:

GalacticGod

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I basically put my MV projects on hold and any ideas I have for new projects I am holding off on until MZ is released; so that I can try out the new engine once it is released next week.

I will most likely just start with maps and whatnot to give some time for Plugins to get released/or updated from MV. Hopefully, it will be a smooth transition. Like others have already stated, the only thing really holding me back from jumping in all the way right off the bat is the massive plugin library that MV holds. Most of which will not likely be ported over.

But I am still hopeful that MZ holds up to the hype!

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy
Like many others I've looked through the data folders of the Japanese sample games and one thing that stood out to me was the low resolution of some (not all?) enemy battle sprites. It reminds me of the low resolution battlers of VxAce almost. Is this a thing?

...or was it done on purpose when distributing these games maybe? I can't post any examples of the MZ RTP here of course but if you open the Japanese sample game "wpbhistory" and compare "Actor1_3" as presented there to "Actor1_3" battler for MV below, I'm sure you can see what I mean.

Actor1_3.png
The image quality (as presented in the Japanese sample games) is noticeable worse.

I hope this is something that's just present in the sample games and that we get a more crisp version of the RTP battlers shipped with the engine.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'll admit I haven't downloaded any of the JP sample games, let me grab some of them so that I can compare it to the version in MZ.

EDIT:
Looking at it: Those are the default SV battlers, they are slightly smaller than the regular ones to accommodate sideview on the standard resolution.

The standard versions are larger. You can just pull from those if you want MV sized ones.

Also, looking through the stuff in the sample games, you guys actually haven't seen the whole RTP yet. From the way people were talking I thought no one removed unused files on their games :B. (unless it was done in one of the games I didn't download, I downloaded 3 of them).

Last edited:

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
As far as I could see, there were 2-3 sample game that had almost everything in it. Except the busts and battlers, I think.
The tileset sheets, characters, faces were fully there.

For anyone thinking that the tilesheets have the exact some structure for an easy port, that's not the case. Some tiles are at another place than in the MV tilesheet.

Last edited:

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Since I was looking at the battlers, I'll just say that I know that none of the ones I downloaded had all the battlers in.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
TrashCan Dungeon has the SV battlers in. I don't know if those are different from the front view battlers.

@Touchfuzzy
I think, I spotted a mistake with one of the tilesheets. Maybe it is just old material in the sample games (I checked, the mistake is in all of them), but the waterfall tiles in Outside_A1, in the 4th column, 3rd and 4th row are 100% exactly the same as in MV.
Which has to be a mistake since the cliffs where those waterfalls go to are different in MZ.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy Same with busts and faces. Looking forward to seeing all of the resources next Thursday. :)

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
TrashCan Dungeon has the SV battlers in. I don't know if those are different from the front view battlers.

@Touchfuzzy
I think, I spotted a mistake with one of the tilesheets. Maybe it is just old material in the sample games (I checked, the mistake is in all of them), but the waterfall tiles in Outside_A1, in the 4th column, 3rd and 4th row are 100% exactly the same as in MV.
Which has to be a mistake since the cliffs where those waterfalls go to are different in MZ.
Good lord how was that missed. Yeah its still in the files I have, I'm reporting it up the chain. Thank you!

Knightmare

Knight of the Night
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am really liking those character sprites for Wolf's Gang. It looks like a unique game and I will definitely try it out. 6 more days to show time. I hope the special bundles will be available in the forum store soon because I am waiting on that to be ready before I purchase.

I've also toyed with some of the JP sample projects and they are neat even though I can't understand what is being said but can listen to some of the tunes and look at the "RTP."

My excitement levels are slowly increasing as this thing is nearing it's release. 6 more days people!

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Have to say, after seeing the tilesets, I like a lot in the B and C sheets, but most of the autotiles are worriesome and not up to the same standards as the ones in MV. Which is unfortunate since the autotiles are the graphics you see the most of in screenshots.

RastaMan

Grouchy Mountain Dwarf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
"9saikarahazimeru_konkatsuno_susume" (Japanese sample MZ game from https://tkool.jp/mz/game/ number 05 or something like that) has, at least, several missing tilesets.
I say this, because it's not impossible to start up game due to "MV like" yellow errors.
They have names like 'Outside_B%EF%BC%86Shadow_Win.png', but i used URL decoder and had those results:
1) ★Inside_B&C.png
2) ★Inside_C&SF_C.png
3) ★SF_Inside_B&MV_SF_B.png
4) Outside_B&Shadow_Win.png
5) ★_MV_SF_Inside_C&Original.png
6) _MV_SF_Outside_B&C_Mix.png
7) Outside_B&Shadow_Spr.png
I think, that it's some kind of story game with elements of VN or dating sim, but I am really want to try it out.
Can someone (idk, maybe @Touchfuzzy itself) give this message to developers of that sample MZ game? :ysad:

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Really liking the default UI enhancements present in the JP sample games, particularly for the combat sequences. Default front-view battles in MV were not nearly this robust.

Interested to see how much was done using the default engine and system settings, how much was accomplished with plugins, and how many of those plugins come stock with the engine.

NamEtag

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have several questions for the Time Progress System but completely missed that preview. I'll list them here in the hopes of the future.

I saw a lot of discussion regarding how poison damage gets affected by Individual Turns, and how on the whole it's being treated as a "feature, not bug".

I definitely want the possibility of changing this, whether by
  • Choosing to use Individual or Battle Turns as the reference for Status Effect procs
  • Having stats other than agility determine Status Effect procs/duration without affecting turn speed.
  • Splitting turn speed and cast speed between different stats/specializations
Fast characters are already overpowered due to the sheer number of actions and items they have available, letting them regen insane amounts of health for usually fragile archetypes is something we can still change.

I strongly recommend that the fastest ENEMY is used to determine the 4 second Charge time. This way, fast characters still feel fast and random battles can go quicker. Rounding errors for being too fast aren't necessarily bugs when you want to cap how many turns someone can take before a slow unit acts, and it's much more dramatic when the norm is that the fast character's bar fills quickly. The moment it DOESN'T, you know things are getting real.

I also hope that there will be no trouble using the reference Agility/Charge time for calculating in other formula. Things like cooldown or separate resource generation would need a reference name to key off of.

I mentioned this before, and while it's nice that you can cycle through all characters with a filled turn, I want to confirm if there will be a button to allow time to "progress" as long as that button is held down. This will significantly help give control in timing spells or interrupts, something lacking in games like Grandia. Spamming Guard is tedious an imprecise, easily costing you the entire turn if the math doesn't add up right.

Will the system have support for characters acting in parallel? I want to know if the various attack and combo commands can process without waiting for each individual action to complete. The effects this can have on AoE are pretty big if knockback is included, and the feature is critical for combo mechanics.

It's not the focus of the system, but it kind of sounds like it'll be possible to create Timed Hits in some way. Not just with techniques that require button inputs, but randomly creating button prompts for critical hits every so often.

Maybe as plugins.

Will it be possible to pause the battle just to look at character/enemy stats? Might even be good to turn off UI for some fancy screenshots.

Will it be possible to modify reference variables mid-fight? There's potential for 4th-wall breaking abilities that mess with the UI or even change between sideview and frontview.

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
I mentioned this before, and while it's nice that you can cycle through all characters with a filled turn, I want to confirm if there will be a button to allow time to "progress" as long as that button is held down. This will significantly help give control in timing spells or interrupts, something lacking in games like Grandia. Spamming Guard is tedious an imprecise, easily costing you the entire turn if the math doesn't add up right.
I think this will be covered by plugins, and making such plugins are easy, simple and small tasks, at least for those having written ATB system plugins before.

Will the system have support for characters acting in parallel? I want to know if the various attack and combo commands can process without waiting for each individual action to complete. The effects this can have on AoE are pretty big if knockback is included, and the feature is critical for combo mechanics.
It's possible to have such a plugin, but it's so complicated and convoluted that I won't be surprised if it's a commercial one, as it's perhaps the most complicated and convoluted change in ATB systems, and it'll also probably be incompatible with pretty much every other battle-related plugin, at least due to the fact that the battle log window, which can only support serial actions, must be completely replaced with something like an action popup for each battler executing actions, and almost all of those plugins rely on the assumption that actions are executed in series(and getting rid of this assumption demands a complete rewrite on the default RMMZ battle system implementations).
I've already figured out a feasible solution in MV(but not even started implementing yet), but it's highly nondeterministic(and thus very hard to even reproduce bugs), meaning that the exact ordering among those parallel actions will be random(e.g.: A attacks B and C heals B at the exact same frame, and the ordering difference here can mean live and death, but trying to resolve the ordering in any way instead of letting it to be random will lead to severe performance penalties).
Also, you need to consider CNT and MRF, and obviously a battler can't have CNT if that battler's already executing actions, and the same might apply to MRF as well.
What's more, there can be performance issues when so many action animations, hit effects and all those sounds are playing all at the same time(the plugin needs to consider the case of having many battlers in the same battle), and as MZ's supposed to run at 60FPS on 1080p(but MZ game players aren't supposed to have high-end machines), the plugin supporting parallel action must be heavily optimized(along with compressing those graphics and audios, which must be done by the plugin users).
I'd say that, it probably takes a thorough comprehension on the essence of the ATB system implementations as a whole(seeing every last bit of important details for each tree while still grasping the entire forest at the same time) in order to even have a reasonable chance, and any actually usable parallel action plugin with barely tolerable compatibility will be at least very close to a professional level, so I don't think such a plugin, even if it'll be eventually made, will come anytime soon(if someone can make it work without nontrivial bugs within weeks I'd say that it's insanely effective and efficient).

Will it be possible to pause the battle just to look at character/enemy stats? Might even be good to turn off UI for some fancy screenshots.
The pause is definitely doable, and it's actually almost the same as implementing the progress button feature you mentioned.

Last edited:

KARAKURT

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Export to Android removed?

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not gonna lie, the character art assets are freaking amazing, and there's so many. I'll say, these even outdo my previous favourites from RM2K. Gonna continue watching the stream, but unlikely to finish it in 1 sitting. Will comment more later.
Making a game with the RTP characters alone will be such a joy, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Overused ---

Hero: (Drink 3 HP Bottle L)
F.Healer: Don't drink too much,or you got sick!
Hero: Nah,i'm okay. it's the way to repleni---
(Hero Collapse)
Hero: (Weak) Ugh...my head (Coughing Then Vomiting)
F.Healer: I told you to don't Drink 3 HP Bottle L or you're Sick. Let's go to Doctor.
Shaking off the dust. Clearing the cobwebs. Time to get back to gam-mak!
I should have looked for this earlier....

It makes MV only need OGG files, and it fixes the audio lag issue. :LZSexcite:
Battle of the original characters! my main character for my game vs. my friend's main character of his comic...
A video game has a brand attached to it.
No offence meant, but it is disadvantageous to use the default RM graphics due to the fact that they can correlate your game strongly to other RM games and whatever associations a user has with those unrelated games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaldeqca