MZ Preview #7: MZ Sample Games, Upcoming MZ First Look Stream!

KoalaFrenzy

Eucalyptus Salad. Every day.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy Did they happen to fix that thing where if you suffer a power outage or windows does a forced update while you have the editor open, a random json gets corrupted and you lose everything in it unless you have a backup?

Tsukimi-neko

Tsukimi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"9saikarahazimeru_konkatsuno_susume" (Japanese sample MZ game from https://tkool.jp/mz/game/ number 05 or something like that) has, at least, several missing tilesets.
I say this, because it's not impossible to start up game due to "MV like" yellow errors.
They have names like 'Outside_B%EF%BC%86Shadow_Win.png', but i used URL decoder and had those results:
1) ★Inside_B&C.png
2) ★Inside_C&SF_C.png
3) ★SF_Inside_B&MV_SF_B.png
4) Outside_B&Shadow_Win.png
5) ★_MV_SF_Inside_C&Original.png
6) _MV_SF_Outside_B&C_Mix.png
7) Outside_B&Shadow_Spr.png
I think, that it's some kind of story game with elements of VN or dating sim, but I am really want to try it out.
Can someone (idk, maybe @Touchfuzzy itself) give this message to developers of that sample MZ game? :ysad:
I downloaded the sample game and tried to start it; it came out fine and it can be played. (I haven't get through the whole game, though)
for detail, I'm using windows 10 Japanese version. The tileset files are having the right names(like ★Inside).
It looks like the encoding doesn't go right when you try to unzip the file. Maybe you could try another unzipping software.

Leprikon01

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is it possible in future versions of RPG maker MZ to add export of games to Linux?

GalacticGod

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know the MZ animations are a completely different file type but are we still able to use the old animation sheets from MV in RPG Maker MZ?

Weremole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
I know the MZ animations are a completely different file type but are we still able to use the old animation sheets from MV in RPG Maker MZ?
You could use them as materials in Effekseer with some simple cutting and pasting.

RastaMan

Grouchy Mountain Dwarf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
From the Steam forums:

"For 9saikarahazimeru_konkatsuno_susume, I was getting those errors too. In Window's Region settings, I had to switch 'Language for non-Unicode programs' to Japanese and reboot before unzipping the game. Doing so allows the Japanese characters to correctly appear in all the file names when unzipping, which seems to solve the file loading errors.

Really, I'm surprised I didn't need to do this for all the games, but apparently that sample game is the only one where the non-unicode switch is essential...

...Although, I haven't played completely through the other sample games, so it's entirely possible one of them could have some file loading issue later during the playthrough that will require me the re-unzip it too with Japanese non-unicode in place. "

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
More complete comment on the livestream, after having watched all of it:
  • I think MZ's RTP is really good, I'd say the only 2 parts I find disappointing are the chibi sprites (after several versions now, why are we still getting these?) and the sound effects seem all pretty much the same as before.
  • Character creator looks even better than MV's. The random button doesn't create absolute freaks of nature anymore, apparently. There's some odd looking ones still, but still a good improvement.
  • Clicking on pictures to trigger events is a godly feature. Having that mouse/touch support is so nice.
  • Oof, some of those sample maps look rough, man. I swear, MV's looked better...
  • Setting skill for attack is a really nice feature...
Overall, I'd say it was a pretty good stream. MZ is looking good as an upgrade to MV.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Stop doing what exactly? I don't understand what that image is supposed to be pointing out.

coyotecraft

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Sharm The point is that it's unorganized. Why put flesh tiles between lava tiles? Why not keep all lava tiles together? I realize the animated tiles and wall tiles need to be on different sheets. But maybe they should rethink the tile window instead of mindlessly carrying over the flaws from previous editions.

I mean from the help text files, it looks like the lava tiles were suppose to correspond to "c". "Ground c" "Stair c" "Ledge c". But then something somewhere went wrong because some of the autotiles are labeled "ground e" and "dark ground e"
It's not just lava tiles. The labeling everywhere scrambled and inconsistent. But that's a different problem and probably unrelated.

I suspect those autotiles (Dungeon_A2) were suppose to be Light and Dark. But maybe the "light" layer got turned off accidentally in VX's production. So the way it stands, that ground autotile is identical to the individual ground tile. It would be more obvious if the tiles were actually grouped together.
So we have these tiles that are just wastes of space. And for 3 editions, MZ included, the tile artists have mindlessly recreated it. With the new blending modes in MV I don't even think it was necessary to include all those tile variants in the first place, since it's just a shadow. But I guess there were layering constraints. MZ however kinda fixes that.

Edit: It's not just the dungeon tiles. MV had issues everywhere but I won't go into that right now.
You can see how the Flesh and Demonic tiles don't have a darkened autotile. They have carpet. I assume that's intentional. The "Dungeon" tiles have flesh and demonic stairs but the carpeted stairs are part of the "Inside" tilesets.
Looking at files from the MZ sample games, that is the case again. The "Inside" tiles have pink carpeted steps that look like they're suppose to correspond to flesh dungeon set; except there isn't a matching floor carpet. Same with the demonic tiles.
I realize these are incomplete beta graphics because I see a number of difference between them. But my concern is that since everything is in disarray, these mistakes will get past whoever was in charge of quality assurance. And we'll end up with miss-match carpet floor and stair tiles, as just one example.

Last edited:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I see what you're saying now, but it's not that everything is disorganized, it's that it's using a different organization method than what you're expecting. I don't think that the current setup is perfect, but I don't think what you're suggesting would work as well as you expect. Grouping up everything visually only works if you never intend to replace the graphics with something else. Grouping everything by type makes it easier to allow for different setups, for example, if I don't want dark versions for every ground tile, or if my cliff face matches many other tiles.

The thing you're pointing out as a mistake, the lack of a flesh stair replaced with a carpet stair that doesn't match anything, sounds less like a mistake to me and more like a conscious choice that is an imperfect solution to an awkward problem to me. Making fleshy stairs look right sounds impossible to me, it'd be trying to make an inorganic form look right even though it's made out of something completely organic. I suspect the carpeted stairs are just them going "well, we need something to fill in this spot. Carpets are useful, let's do that." It's not the solution that I would use either, but I don't think that makes it a mistake, just something I disagree with.

GamesOfShadows

♥ Gamer/Games ♥
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm already looking forward to the MZ (personally, I'm wowed). But how does it look with the Android export (I saw the stream, so I know it should be working via the web export) but will it get easier or will it stay the same?

Alexandr_7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Hello to all.
On the stream, I noticed a detail that the assembly for Android was removed. Apparently combined with the assembly for the Web. But I understood correctly. "RPG Maker MZ" hasn't learned how to package a game in an APK?

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Any solution built into RPG Maker would not be as good as using a specific made tool for wrapping an html deployment for APK.

Developing a wrapping tool like Cordova that works well is a full time development on its own, as large or larger than the process of developing RPG Maker itself.

If we wanted to include export to Android/iOS as a one button feature, and keep it up to date, it would dominate the time of our developers. It just doesn't make sense to develop like that when the tools already exist.

It would be like developing an entire graphics editor into the engine instead of just having people edit their graphics in Photoshop/GIMP/etc.

Alexandr_7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Any solution built into RPG Maker would not be as good as using a specific made tool for wrapping an html deployment for APK.

Developing a wrapping tool like Cordova that works well is a full time development on its own, as large or larger than the process of developing RPG Maker itself.

If we wanted to include export to Android/iOS as a one button feature, and keep it up to date, it would dominate the time of our developers. It just doesn't make sense to develop like that when the tools already exist.

It would be like developing an entire graphics editor into the engine instead of just having people edit their graphics in Photoshop/GIMP/etc.
I don't understand one thing. So others, using the example of iFAction, can afford to create an APK, but KADOKAWA cannot.
It smells like ordinary laziness.
No need to answer. This is a rhetorical question.
Better answer this:

And what instrument are we talking about? Android Studio? Do you at least understand how inconvenient this process is. At the very least, you need to know a little coding to create an APK in Android Studio. That is, if you don’t know programming at all (and RPG Maker MZ implies that you don’t need knowledge) then you cannot create an APK.
Could at least write a wrapper over Android Studio so as not to understand the code, but just specify the parameters and that's it.

Last edited:

GamesOfShadows

♥ Gamer/Games ♥
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Alexandr_7 How about something like this?
If this gets updated for MZ, it would be awesome. Unfortunately it doesn't work anymore for the newest Android-Studio-Version.

I used it often for some games and it was really easy to build an APK. Really hope someone will update this.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's the guide I used to export my game to mobile, without having any coding skills. It's pretty easy, once you got it set up. It should be fine, as long as someone who's knowledgeable can make a guide for MZ to help out the noobs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

yay my offer is up :) joys
@wrigty12 hi! thanks for showing interest in my work. Sadly the tablet I'm using broke, so I wasn't able to create anything for weeks. Got a new one with display, I'm still not used to it though, so I'm still practicing, doing basic drawings again. Also I'm in my last year of college. Thesis, projects and other activities takes most of my time ;_;.
I'll get back to it whenever I get a free time.
Any artists here planning on participating in the Inktober art prompts this October?
It's right around the corner.
It's rpg maker related so I'll post it here, I worked on a little free rpg maker zine and this was my piece. Play Grimm's Hollow if you haven't already, I liked it a lot. (i don't remember if posting a link to a product even if free is allowed via profile posts, so if anyone knows lemme know)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MVMS